Ditto/DIY::Painted Tray Vignette

by Edie Wadsworth on May 6, 2013

{ditto} DIY: Inspired Design For the Rest of Us

Welcome to our first {ditto} DIY challenge!

Once a month, beginning today, nine very different bloggers are attempting to recreate in our own homes a project or design element inspired by a haute couture design selected by Darlene Weir of Fieldstone Hill Design. (For more details on what {ditto}DIY is all about, check out this post!}

Ruth @ Living Well Spending Less
Cindy @ Skip to My Lou
Jen @ Balancing Beauty & Bedlam
Edie @ Life in Grace
Rachel @ Surviving the Stores
Karin @ Trophy Mom Diaries
Lauren @ I am THAT Lady
Kelly @ View Along The Way
Melissa @ The Inspired Room

Remember that beginning next month (on Monday, June 3rd) we are inviting you ALL to join the {ditto} DIY challenge! Be sure to visit Darlene to catch a peek of NEXT month’s {ditto} DIY challenge so that you ALL can join the fun! (Hint: We’ll be going for the GOLD!)

In case you’ve forgotten, this was our first inspiration photograph:

ditto DIY

{A chic painted tray and vanity vignette, from the home of nina bergsten, photography by marcus lawett.}

The {ditto} DIY Challenge:

Create your own painted tray and vanity vignette.

Here is my first {ditto}DIY project:

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Oh, how  I love this little collection of color!

So, here’s how this vignette came together for me.

I’ve been wanting to add a tray to the striped bathroom for awhile.  This room may have knocked the workroom out of favorite room status but I was thinking that it needed a tray of some kind to corral a pretty collection of things.  Then, it dawned on me that maybe I just love this room so much because David is in here? I’ve been suspecting that I’m partial to any room where David is located because I’ve really missed him in the kitchen.  What?  You find that odd?  You think I’m off my rocker?  That’s not news, good people.  That’s a well-established fact.  But still.  Humor me.  Wouldn’t you be just a little attached to David, once you got over the shock that a large bust of a Biblical character was privy to your bathroom situations?

Long story even more painful?  I want a David in every room.

There, I said it.

striped bath DIY

The good news is?  At this point, I  have two Davids.  (Myquillin sent me one right after the fire because she gets me and because friends don’t let friends live in a world where busts of David do not exist.)  So, I moved big David back to the kitchen and spray painted little David hot pink. I don’t know why.  I just did it and it set off a firestorm of creative sparks in my head—which eventually led to little David joining Aphrodite in the bathroom. Match made in heaven, if you ask me.

I wanted a tray with a mirrored or reflective surface so that the glory of  this unlikely pair could really shine.  I didn’t have a tray (that I wanted to paint) so I bought a cheap black lacquer tray at TJ Maxx and used the antique looking glass spray paint to add some glam to the surface.  (The paint is pricey but I used my Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon and got it for about $7.)

Bye-bye butterflies.

DSC_8220

Hello, mirrored beauty.  And to be fair, this “looking-glass” spray paint really looks more metallic than mirror-ish but I like the effect and it glams up an otherwise okay tray.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Do you have any idea how much this simple little project makes me happy?  You don’t, do you?  Listen.  It’s the kind of happy that keeps on giving every. single. time. you have to potty.  It makes a trip to the bathroom more like a field trip to a cool museum.  Or to the carnival, only without cotton candy and deep fried oreos.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the smallest, most insignificant spaces are a great place for high design.   As soon as you get tired of working on it, you’re done.

Speaking of design, I’m working on something brand new for the room over the garage.  Follow along on my Pinterest boards, but don’t tell Darlene, because this project may or may not involve some changes in the girls’ room.  {It seems almost blasphemous.}

Also, head over to her place to see the inspiration photo for next month, where you are invited and encouraged to play along with the fun and intriguing challenge of using gilding in a project.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

On Monday, June 3rd, we are inviting you ALL to join the {ditto} DIY challenge! Be sure to check out everyone else’s projects and to visit Darlene’s site for a peek at next month’s challenge along with some expert design tips on incorporating painted tray vignettes into your home.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Sources for my favorite room in the house:

Paint colors—Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and Urban Bronze

Antique Federal Mirror—Antique store, Abingdon, VA

Bust of Aphrodite—Pottery Barn

Anthropologie-esqu spoon flower vase—gift from Shannon (tutorial included!)

Floral Art Print—Lulie Wallace (almost all my artwork comes from One King’s Lane)

Whitman: Poems (Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets)

Fruits & Passion Fruits & Passion Cucina Purifying Hand Wash – Coriander and Olive Oil

Planter—Ross
BERGAMOT TOBACCO DIFFUSER ~~ Archipelago Botanicals Aromatherapy Home Fragrance Signature Series All Natural Premium Scented Oil Diffuser W/ Deluxe Gift Box

(best scent in the free world and lasts FOREVER)

Keats: Poems (Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets)

My question for you is this.  What  do you keep in  your bathroom for reading material?  Inquiring busts of David want to know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Claire @ A Little Claireification May 6, 2013 at 1:36 am

Ooooh, I am up past my bedtime and so happy to see this first post in this series come through. Besides, I am generally the 1,245th person to comment on your posts by 9AM the same day so, to be first? Well, I might just have to go deep fry an oreo.
And for some reason I was picturing you using the David bust and you did not disappoint by adding {busting out?} TWO busts AND Walt! I am in love.
This would make me smile every time I had to go potty too. High design, indeed. ;)
Can’t wait to see what everyone else creates.
xoxo,
Claire

2 Jennifer May 6, 2013 at 6:13 am

This is SO YOU!!! I absolutely adore it; it makes me smile big. And I want a David Bust, big time.

3 Southern Gal May 6, 2013 at 6:45 am

My first reaction was “David is hot pink!” I love it.

4 Kelly May 6, 2013 at 7:07 am

I love your style. So many layers- so stylish and fun. The perfect marriage. (just like Aphrodite and David in the bathroom. The hot pink is great, but the pearls on Aphrodite are seriously awesome, too. And did you intentionally place her so the silhouette is a mini mirroring of pose behind her? It is perfect, intentional or accidental.)

I’m thinking your guests may be sneaking their phones to the potty to snatch pics. I would take it as a high compliment;-)

5 Ruth May 6, 2013 at 7:19 am

No other powder room could compare. It is a masterpiece. Your tray adorned with the hot pink David and Aphrodite, adorned with necklaces, the gorgeous spoon vase with succulents, and some good reads. No other bathroom can come close to comparing in style. You have outdone yourself. Now when no one can find you do they look in the powder room?

6 Edie Wadsworth May 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

Awww, thanks sweet Ruth!! And yes, they always know where to find me!

7 Lauren May 6, 2013 at 8:19 am

Edie – I LOVE it! The splash of color is wonderful and it really pulls the table together with the room!

8 Jennifer May 6, 2013 at 8:37 am

I just about spit coffee on my keyboard when I read, “It makes a trip to the bathroom more like a field trip to a cool museum. Or to the carnival, only without cotton candy and deep fried oreos.” HYSTERICAL! Love the vignette, and the vibrant colors are glorious!

9 {darlene} @ fieldstonehilldesign May 6, 2013 at 8:45 am

GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Simple things mean so much.

Especially when it makes each and every potty trip more special.

love your project!!!

10 Lisa M. May 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

I am very new to Pinterest and wondering if you can help me…when I clicked on the “Pinterest Boards” link from this post, I thought it would take me to your boards, but it took me to my Pinterest home page. I put your name in the search and it looked like it was just what other people have pinned about you. So…can you tell me how to get to your boards? I know, sorry for such a stupid question, but I looked around and just couldn’t figure it out! Maybe I need to spend more time on Pinterest to get the hang of it :) Thank you for your help!

11 Edie Wadsworth May 6, 2013 at 9:45 am

Here’s the direct link,Lisa! I changed it in the post, too!
http://pinterest.com/lifeingrace/ :)

12 Diane | An Extraordinary Day May 6, 2013 at 11:04 am

Holy Cow!! You blow me away. I would so love to go shopping someplace with you and see what you find that I would never ever have thought of…or seen. I so love your twist, Edie!!

13 Heidi May 6, 2013 at 11:08 am

Calvin and Hobbes, Fox Trot, The Far Side, Portals of Prayer, and old Reader’s Digests

14 emma May 6, 2013 at 11:14 am

love it, edie!

15 Maureen May 6, 2013 at 11:26 am

Love the energy of all these colors! Give a very happy vibe. Love it!

16 MarieRoxanne May 6, 2013 at 11:38 am

Oh, Bathsheba will be so jealous having Aphrodite next to her husband!

17 Melissa @ The Inspired Room May 6, 2013 at 12:32 pm

I love how it pulled together the items on your table, added an extra layer of interest and corralled them into a more cohesive display! Way to go Edie! Looks fabulous and so YOU!

18 Rachel @ Surviving The Stores May 6, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Well first off, now my bathroom just seems so absolutely boring! I need something that makes my potty trips turn into a cultural experience, lol.

I probably will never end up with busts of David in any of my rooms, but those color combinations are definitely inspiring!!

19 anna May 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Did you buy your tray at TJMaxx recently?

20 Kelly @ View Along the Way May 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I love this little vignette! So fab! Is it weird to admit that I kind of have a crush on David? I wish I could find one of my own. He’s quite the attention-getter!

21 tara May 6, 2013 at 7:20 pm

loving what you’ve done in the bathroom…
can’t believe your’re changing up the girls’ room…
looking forward to seeing what you’re doing above the garage. :)

22 Sharon B. May 7, 2013 at 12:40 am

I’m having so much fun visiting all the Ditto projects tonight. This one is delightful. I love David and Aphrodite together and I love it in your bathroom. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for next month’s project. I have a feeling you can rock that gold project pretty well. :) Sharon