Ditto/DIY::Painted Tray Vignette

{ditto} DIY: Inspired Design For the Rest of Us

Welcome to our first {ditto} DIY challenge!

Once a month, beginning today, nine very different bloggers are attempting to recreate in our own homes a project or design element inspired by a haute couture design selected by Darlene Weir of Fieldstone Hill Design. (For more details on what {ditto}DIY is all about, check out this post!}

Ruth @ Living Well Spending Less
Cindy @ Skip to My Lou
Jen @ Balancing Beauty & Bedlam
Edie @ Life in Grace
Rachel @ Surviving the Stores
Karin @ Trophy Mom Diaries
Lauren @ I am THAT Lady
Kelly @ View Along The Way
Melissa @ The Inspired Room

Remember that beginning next month (on Monday, June 3rd) we are inviting you ALL to join the {ditto} DIY challenge! Be sure to visit Darlene to catch a peek of NEXT month’s {ditto} DIY challenge so that you ALL can join the fun! (Hint: We’ll be going for the GOLD!)

In case you’ve forgotten, this was our first inspiration photograph:

ditto DIY

{A chic painted tray and vanity vignette, from the home of nina bergsten, photography by marcus lawett.}

The {ditto} DIY Challenge:

Create your own painted tray and vanity vignette.

Here is my first {ditto}DIY project:

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Oh, how  I love this little collection of color!

So, here’s how this vignette came together for me.

I’ve been wanting to add a tray to the striped bathroom for awhile.  This room may have knocked the workroom out of favorite room status but I was thinking that it needed a tray of some kind to corral a pretty collection of things.  Then, it dawned on me that maybe I just love this room so much because David is in here? I’ve been suspecting that I’m partial to any room where David is located because I’ve really missed him in the kitchen.  What?  You find that odd?  You think I’m off my rocker?  That’s not news, good people.  That’s a well-established fact.  But still.  Humor me.  Wouldn’t you be just a little attached to David, once you got over the shock that a large bust of a Biblical character was privy to your bathroom situations?

Long story even more painful?  I want a David in every room.

There, I said it.

striped bath DIY

The good news is?  At this point, I  have two Davids.  (Myquillin sent me one right after the fire because she gets me and because friends don’t let friends live in a world where busts of David do not exist.)  So, I moved big David back to the kitchen and spray painted little David hot pink. I don’t know why.  I just did it and it set off a firestorm of creative sparks in my head—which eventually led to little David joining Aphrodite in the bathroom. Match made in heaven, if you ask me.

I wanted a tray with a mirrored or reflective surface so that the glory of  this unlikely pair could really shine.  I didn’t have a tray (that I wanted to paint) so I bought a cheap black lacquer tray at TJ Maxx and used the antique looking glass spray paint to add some glam to the surface.  (The paint is pricey but I used my Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon and got it for about $7.)

Bye-bye butterflies.

Hello, mirrored beauty.  And to be fair, this “looking-glass” spray paint really looks more metallic than mirror-ish but I like the effect and it glams up an otherwise okay tray.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Do you have any idea how much this simple little project makes me happy?  You don’t, do you?  Listen.  It’s the kind of happy that keeps on giving every. single. time. you have to potty.  It makes a trip to the bathroom more like a field trip to a cool museum.  Or to the carnival, only without cotton candy and deep fried oreos.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the smallest, most insignificant spaces are a great place for high design.   As soon as you get tired of working on it, you’re done.

Speaking of design, I’m working on something brand new for the room over the garage.  Follow along on my Pinterest boards, but don’t tell Darlene, because this project may or may not involve some changes in the girls’ room.  {It seems almost blasphemous.}

Also, head over to her place to see the inspiration photo for next month, where you are invited and encouraged to play along with the fun and intriguing challenge of using gilding in a project.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

On Monday, June 3rd, we are inviting you ALL to join the {ditto} DIY challenge! Be sure to check out everyone else’s projects and to visit Darlene’s site for a peek at next month’s challenge along with some expert design tips on incorporating painted tray vignettes into your home.

DIY painted tray vignette via lifeingrace

Sources for my favorite room in the house:

Paint colors—Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and Urban Bronze

Antique Federal Mirror—Antique store, Abingdon, VA

Bust of Aphrodite—Pottery Barn

Anthropologie-esqu spoon flower vase—gift from Shannon (tutorial included!)

Floral Art Print—Lulie Wallace (almost all my artwork comes from One King’s Lane)

Whitman: Poems (Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets)

Fruits & Passion Fruits & Passion Cucina Purifying Hand Wash – Coriander and Olive Oil

BERGAMOT TOBACCO DIFFUSER ~~ Archipelago Botanicals Aromatherapy Home Fragrance Signature Series All Natural Premium Scented Oil Diffuser W/ Deluxe Gift Box

(best scent in the free world and lasts FOREVER)

Keats: Poems (Everyman’s Library Pocket Poets)

My question for you is this.  What  do you keep in  your bathroom for reading material?  Inquiring busts of David want to know.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

• Ooooh, I am up past my bedtime and so happy to see this first post in this series come through. Besides, I am generally the 1,245th person to comment on your posts by 9AM the same day so, to be first? Well, I might just have to go deep fry an oreo.
    And for some reason I was picturing you using the David bust and you did not disappoint by adding {busting out?} TWO busts AND Walt! I am in love.
    This would make me smile every time I had to go potty too. High design, indeed. ;)
    Can’t wait to see what everyone else creates.

• Jennifer says:

This is SO YOU!!! I absolutely adore it; it makes me smile big. And I want a David Bust, big time.

• Southern Gal says:

My first reaction was “David is hot pink!” I love it.

• Kelly says:

I love your style. So many layers- so stylish and fun. The perfect marriage. (just like Aphrodite and David in the bathroom. The hot pink is great, but the pearls on Aphrodite are seriously awesome, too. And did you intentionally place her so the silhouette is a mini mirroring of pose behind her? It is perfect, intentional or accidental.)

I’m thinking your guests may be sneaking their phones to the potty to snatch pics. I would take it as a high compliment;-)

• Ruth says:

No other powder room could compare. It is a masterpiece. Your tray adorned with the hot pink David and Aphrodite, adorned with necklaces, the gorgeous spoon vase with succulents, and some good reads. No other bathroom can come close to comparing in style. You have outdone yourself. Now when no one can find you do they look in the powder room?

• Lauren says:

Edie – I LOVE it! The splash of color is wonderful and it really pulls the table together with the room!

• Jennifer says:

I just about spit coffee on my keyboard when I read, “It makes a trip to the bathroom more like a field trip to a cool museum. Or to the carnival, only without cotton candy and deep fried oreos.” HYSTERICAL! Love the vignette, and the vibrant colors are glorious!

• GORGEOUS!!!!!!! Simple things mean so much.

Especially when it makes each and every potty trip more special.

love your project!!!

• Lisa M. says:

I am very new to Pinterest and wondering if you can help me…when I clicked on the “Pinterest Boards” link from this post, I thought it would take me to your boards, but it took me to my Pinterest home page. I put your name in the search and it looked like it was just what other people have pinned about you. So…can you tell me how to get to your boards? I know, sorry for such a stupid question, but I looked around and just couldn’t figure it out! Maybe I need to spend more time on Pinterest to get the hang of it :) Thank you for your help!

• Holy Cow!! You blow me away. I would so love to go shopping someplace with you and see what you find that I would never ever have thought of…or seen. I so love your twist, Edie!!

• Heidi says:

Calvin and Hobbes, Fox Trot, The Far Side, Portals of Prayer, and old Reader’s Digests

• emma says:

love it, edie!

• Maureen says:

Love the energy of all these colors! Give a very happy vibe. Love it!

• MarieRoxanne says:

Oh, Bathsheba will be so jealous having Aphrodite next to her husband!

• I love how it pulled together the items on your table, added an extra layer of interest and corralled them into a more cohesive display! Way to go Edie! Looks fabulous and so YOU!

• Well first off, now my bathroom just seems so absolutely boring! I need something that makes my potty trips turn into a cultural experience, lol.

I probably will never end up with busts of David in any of my rooms, but those color combinations are definitely inspiring!!

• anna says:

Did you buy your tray at TJMaxx recently?

• I love this little vignette! So fab! Is it weird to admit that I kind of have a crush on David? I wish I could find one of my own. He’s quite the attention-getter!

• tara says:

loving what you’ve done in the bathroom…
    can’t believe your’re changing up the girls’ room…
    looking forward to seeing what you’re doing above the garage. :)

• Sharon B. says:

I’m having so much fun visiting all the Ditto projects tonight. This one is delightful. I love David and Aphrodite together and I love it in your bathroom. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for next month’s project. I have a feeling you can rock that gold project pretty well. :) Sharon

• The companies that are engaged in developing mobile apps depute
    their experienced and skilled developers to assist their clients to develop any
    new application that is suitable for the mobile platform.
    Lighting, cinematography, colour pallette, textures, sound synchronisation, shade providing, contrasts and animation
    are examples of the other requirements to be a professional 3D animator.

Do you should check within the calls, the spot, the messages, quite a few spy softwares for cellular phones do all of this, but the top spy cell phone software
    are people that basically answer your queries (Where is my husband.

• Each new age brought the criminal element forward
    with it. Advertisers all over the place, advertising everything underneath
    the sun. It’s probably some mix of the two, so
    I have to give him props for not going too far in either direction.

• Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There’s a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content.
    Please let me know. Thank you

• Hi there, You have done an excellent job.
    I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
    I am sure they will be benefited from this site.

• Flavius says:

Sarge;Continuing yesterday’s remrak that there’s proof positive tha Beck lost his ing.Beck Explains His Criticism of ‘Progressive’ Gingrich (Plus the Truth About His Views on the Tea Party)What you posted yesterday was a continuation of diatribe from Beck regarding tea partiers, or so called tea partiers, going out and supporting a Progessive like Newt Gingrich. In that diatribe he injected the hypothetical “fact” tha the only difference between Newt and Obama is race. On policy they are very identical. There’s two videos showing that Glenn said previous to his stupid remrak made to Judge Napolitano on FOX Business. Glenn Beck *clearly* said that the Tea Party is not racist. His purpose, however poorly worded, was to question how in thew world peope inthe Tea Party could support Newt. I think that’s a legitimate concern, especialy seeing how little support Romney, justifiably, has recieved from te same movement. Here’s part of the wuote again from your link yesterday:Darren;Sorry I was not able to post yesterday. Since you posted this question to me directly after the Idiot Beck had been a subject of conversation for 11 hours, with a couple dozen comments made by a double handfull of commenters, its obvious that my input is important to you, otherwise you would not have taken the time to call me out specifically.I stand with the other commenters here in thier estimation of the Self Appointed Prophet and Pompous Ass. Since he left FOX News and started his own website and network, he has discovered that his appeal has been limited to sycophants and weak minded knee jerk cheerleaders. In order to remedy this, and hampered as he is with a lack of capacity for original thought, he has decided to create controversy by calling Tea Partiers racists in an attempt to attrract Left Wing Moonbats (but I repeat myself) to his site using their own logic and rhetoric in hopes that they copy links and pass them around amongst their websites and blogs in order to boost his numbers and justify what is rapidly becoming over priced advertising prices. Even his strategy for boosting internet traffic is a result of a lack of capacity for original thought in that Alex Jones pioneered the concept.Hope that helps.