Italian Sub Soup

by Edie Wadsworth on December 28, 2011

Italian Sub Soup

italian sub soup

My mother has many charming qualities but one of my favorites is the way she says Italian (Eye-talian) and Hawaii (Hiii-wah-ya).
I think I’ll make it my personal goal to make sure she says those two words every time I see her.
It may be tricky but it’s too cute to pass up.
Just another excuse to make this delicious soup.

As a matter of fact, why don’t we all just agree that they should both be pronounced this way from here on out?

Back to the soup.   It’s Eye-talian. It’s full of salami and pepperoni and ham. It’s better than a vacation to Hiii-wah-yah. Yah, it is.
We had this soup for Christmas Eve because my family is not a huge fan of the seafood stew I usually make.
I’m here to please. Eye-talian it is baby.  The cheesy garlic bread wasn’t too shabby either.  My cheese bread is pretty similar to  Pioneer Woman’s—which means you’ll need stretch pants and a clot buster.

This is an adaptation of an old Rachel Ray’s recipe for italian soup  that uses the ingredients in a sub sandwich and puts them into a soup.

You’ll need:

1 package of pepperoni cut in halves or fourths.

1 package of salami cut in halves of fourths.

1 package of canadian bacon cut in halves or fourths.

Whatever sandwich meat I have left over, chopped up and thrown in, usually ham.

1 medium onion, chopped

2-3 cloves of garlic, minced

1 green pepper, seeded and chopped

1 28 oz can of tomatoes  (I use San Marzano whole tomatoes and then just break them apart with my hands,  much to the chagrin of my observing children)

1 T. oregano or eye-talian seasoning

2 t.  red pepper flakes

1 box of chicken stock

1 T. balsamic vinegar

2 T. honey

fresh spinach (could use half or whole bag—I always use whatever I have, which is usually a partial bag)

salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste

Garnish with parmesan cheese and olives or whatever else you have that seems eye-talian

Saute all the meats in a few tablespoons of olive oil.  The meats are the star so you want them nice and caramelized.  After they sauté  a few minutes, add the onion, green pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and oregano.   When the onions are translucent, add the stock, tomatoes, spinach and then reseason and add the honey and balsamic.   Garnish with cheese and serve with cheesy garlic bread.

It’s like a homeade Eye-talian sub, only easier and cheesier and more fun!

P.S.  Despite the fact that I love good food and have made a host of yummy goodness recently, I had Lucky Charms for dinner tonight and was crowned Queen of the Scrabble Board today.  That’s good times.  Hope you’re living it up too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Anonymous December 29, 2011 at 2:35 am

That sounds delicious.  And your precious mama sounds like my mama.  She says those two like that plus hurricane is pronounced hur’-uh-kin.  A bowl of Lucky Charms is good for any meal!

2 Lroebuck1 December 29, 2011 at 2:40 am

Your momma and my momma must have been related cause my momma said those two words exactly the same way! Cherish hearing that. I miss my momma so much…

3 Christy December 29, 2011 at 2:54 am

Precious! The recipe sounds good too! Does your mom also say extree for the word extra? :)

4 Amyecallahan December 29, 2011 at 4:13 am

Must be an old southern thing bc both of my grandmothers referred to Italian and Hawaii the exact same way! Too funny.

Amy Callahan

5 Leslie L December 29, 2011 at 4:29 am

My late Grandma pronounced those the same as well!  She also sad taco like “tah-ka” and I smiled every time :). I look forward to trying this recipe!

6 Jenny December 29, 2011 at 6:32 am

It’s a totally “old-south” way of sayin it! My Mom and her Sister pronounce those words, as well as a whole host of others, in their own dialect!  My father in law (bless his heart!) says “cawlyum” aka column and a woman is “woomen”.   Lawsie mercy honey!  We country as cornbread for sure!!

7 Michelle Starling December 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm

The soup sounds great. I think I’ll try it but, for my son Jackson, I’ll not tell him about the Canadian bacon. Not because he doesn’t like it but he says that Canadians need to learn what real bacon is. Their’s is “thinly sliced ham” to quote him. He takes his bacon very seriously and, according to him, bacon makes everything better.

8 Kim - Recipes To Run On December 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Soup and Cereal rule winter dinners!  :-)  Thanks for sharing this, anxious to try it soon.  My sweet southern grandmother used to have the same way of pronouncing a few words…  miss that so much!

9 Sarah {Handbags*N*Pigtails} December 29, 2011 at 1:11 pm

This looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Have a blessed New Year!

10 Tara December 29, 2011 at 1:25 pm

My mom says Chicago {she cargo} and she says atomic bomb {atomic bum}……and there are sooooooooooo many more I could give you. :}}}}
I think our mamas could be friends.
another funny story about my mom….she wears those adorable velour jogging suits {except she doesn’t jog in them} and she has two kinds….old ones that she wears around the house and fancy ones that she wears to the grocery store and out to eat. :}}}

back to your EYE talian soup….I pinned it and can’t wait to cook it this weekend…..those boys BETTER not complain.  Complaining children at the dinner table makes me wanna go postal.

okay…I think you’ve heard enough from me today.

11 Ruth Emond December 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm

This soup sounds amazing. I will definitely be trying it. We love the spinach and cheese tortellini soup you shared. I love to play scrabble but no one else here really does. It’s like a chore to them. I’ll just have to go on over to your place and play it, but I think you would beat me for sure.
I just finished reading The Glass Castle and it reminded me of Bloodroot a bit. I thought of you. It is actually autobiographical. An amazing story I couldn’t put down.

12 Amber P December 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

My husband is going to love this soup!  thanks for the recipe.
I am living it up.  I stayed up until 4am reading The Help and then had Christmas cookies for dinner.  (Although, not sure if i’m living it up or killing myself with lack of sleep and A LOT of sugar!)

13 lesley December 29, 2011 at 3:35 pm

In my grandparents Gulf Coastal Alabama town, one of the few restaurants had Eye-talian chicken day and Hii-wah-ya chicken day.  Also, when they were outrunning a “hurri-cun”, they might go to “Chi-CAR-go or WAR-shington”.

14 MissPam December 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

My mom always said Ko-ree-ah as well.

15 Matilda Joyce December 30, 2011 at 12:24 am

Love it!  My Vermont Yankee dad says “Mahthur” (Martha) and idear (idea)!!!

16 Maggie December 30, 2011 at 12:44 am

OMG!!! I just made your Spicy Tomato Soup. But added some stuff!! It turned out great. I used Giada’s recipe along with urs. Thats how you spell her name right????

17 Elizabeth Highsmith December 30, 2011 at 1:31 am

Eye’s would sho nuff love a big ole bowl of that “holy, moly it makes my mouth water” eye-talian soup. gracias…….merci-beaucoup….grazie there we go
who is we kiddin “thank ye ma’am” hugs and new year’s wishes!

18 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D December 30, 2011 at 9:03 pm

I’ve always been afraid to try it.
But, if YOU say it’s good…
Okay then.

19 Generation 3 Blog December 31, 2011 at 4:52 pm

this sounds so delish! i am definitly going to have to try this! :)

20 The Hill Hangout May 4, 2013 at 7:25 pm

This looks delicious, Edie! We’ve been on a sandwich kick lately, so I probably have all the ingredients handy :)

21 Edie Wadsworth May 5, 2013 at 6:13 am

It’s our favorite thing to make after we’ve accumulated all the leftover ingredients from making pizza!! We had it for dinner last night and it’s so tasty!!

22 Melanie January 11, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I made this for my boys on this rainy, windy day. My meat-lover husband has decided it’s a keeper! I made double the recipe so we could have leftovers, we’ll that isn’t looking like its gonna happen. Thanks!

23 Katie January 21, 2014 at 6:46 pm

I made this tonight and it was delicious! My husband and I slurped it up and it was so good for a sub-zero night here in Michigan. I was skeptical about the honey and vinegar but it really rounded it out. I also used crushed tomatoes and put the onion and pepper in my food processor as I’m lazy! ;) Thanks for the recipe!

24 kberger February 28, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I absolutely love your story about your Mom’s pronunciation of Italian and Hawaii. Being Italian I can’t wait to share with family. I know they will giggle. I really am enjoying your blog. By the way I am trying the Eye-talian soup tomorrow. Let you know but it sounds great!!!

25 Rhonda N. July 17, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Just tried this I-talian Sub soup as I had picked up a special on a megaton of salami, and needed something to do with it! Not to mention, Texas entered some alternative universe in which we had a high of 80 degrees in the middle of July, so it was OK to turn on the stove and even eat something warm.

All I can say is, “Yum!” Thanks for the recipe!

26 http://clineioat.blog.com/2014/06/22/summit-brewing-company/ September 1, 2014 at 4:50 pm

wonderful issues altogether, you simply won a brand new reader.
What may you recommend about your put up that
you just made some days in the past? Any positive?

27 celine bags For women September 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

celine bags For women
Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of
this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very hard to get
that “perfect balance” between user friendliness and appearance.
I must say you have done a excellent job with this.
Additionally, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome.
Superb Blog!

28 little empire hack September 8, 2014 at 6:37 am

Very good article! We are linking to this
great article on our website. Keep up the great writing.

29 Reebok EasyTone September 18, 2014 at 10:05 am

See the article, you can or read you don’t have a big fan of
soccer goals, which will help you out. He is renowned for their ages.
For personal, noncommercial use only, agreed upon over a month at the time
of your child and any read other representative in the United States,
Canada, I do the treatment of osteoporosis as an energy
source. I know which supplements may work. Unlike some athletes
are prohibited to wear a more read balanced outlook.

30 sims freeplay cheat September 19, 2014 at 1:38 pm

There’s certainbly a lot to learn about this subject.
I really like all the points you made.