{Best Ever} Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

by Edie Wadsworth on February 27, 2012

best ever chocolate chip cookies

I’ve written about this recipe before but it’s been a few years and this chocolate chip cookie recipe is  absolutely my most requested one.  And trust me when I say that I’ve made more versions of the chocolate chip cookie any one woman should.   My wonderful friend Kimmy introduced me to these delicious cookies and I am so thankful and indebted to her for sharing it with us.   My sister now makes these cookies all the time and they recently won “Best Dessert Award” at her church’s Super Bowl party.   They took down some serious cakes and pies to win the prize.   And here’s why I like them so much:  1) They have the best taste and texture.   2)  They are just as good on day 4 as on day 1.  3)  They freeze very well.    4)  They turn out perfect EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

They never disappoint.  Ever.   And the best news yet?    They never flatten out on the pan.

These cookies are gonna change your cookie-making life.  And that is not a word of a lie.

After you make them, send me your testimonials and maybe I’ll set up a Facebook page in honor of these culinary delights.   Ok, I’m kidding.

But they’re just that good.

Without further adieu, I give you the chocolate chip cookie of all chocolate chip cookies.

2 sticks butter, softened

1 cup of vegetable oil

1 egg

1 cup of white sugar

1 cup of brown sugar

1 t. baking soda

1 t. cream of tartar

1 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

2 t. vanilla

4 1/2 cups of flour

1 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 T. milk

Cream butter, sugars, and egg until fluffy.   Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.   For best results, use a scooper to scoop cookies onto cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes until the edges are slightly browned.  This recipe makes 4-5 dozen cookies depending on what size you make them.

My recipes page has plenty more goodies for you to try!

chocolate chip cookie recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Anonymous February 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’m definitely going to try them. My kids are chocolate chip cookie connoisseurs.  I’ll tell you what they think of them.
Also, are those knuckle prints in those cookies?  Cause if they are I’m making them just for that reason.  My grandmama used to put her finger/knuckle prints on all her biscuits.  None have tasted good since she died.  None.

2 Gerieturner February 28, 2012 at 11:10 am

I wondered about the knuckle, or fingerprints, also!  My mama’s biscuits always have the fingerprints, wonderful stuff!

3 Fran February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

what type of vegetable oil do you use?  Im looking forward to trying this out as I’ve been making the same recipe based on the crisco recipe for years and years!

4 chris aldinger February 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

yes good question, now a days i never am sure what is what in some recipes i usually use crisco in the bar forms but if i have to i use oils and i must say i am not to sure thats the best…..lol

5 Tiffany B January 13, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Yes, I am wondering if Canola oil will work the same?

6 Kris January 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Canola worked just fine for me. I’ve made this recipe 3 times so far and used canola twice. It’s really no difference. My whole family loves them.

7 www.lovebeinganonny.com February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Finally…it let me comment! Can’t WAIT to try these!

8 Anonymous February 27, 2012 at 12:34 pm

They look divine!  I can’t wait to make them!

9 Lisa February 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm

My 11 year old daughter is our in-house baker and she just made these very cookies over the weekend!  We love your recipe!  They are so different from the Toll House Cookie version we also make.  Too bad the mama in this house gave up cookies for Lent :(  They truly are DE.lish everyone!

10 Melissa Stover February 27, 2012 at 1:04 pm

i’m going to make those this week! did you know you are publishing a partial feed?

11 edie wadsworth February 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm

No I didn’t and sadly I’m not real sure how to change it. I’ll work on that because that drives me crazy! Thought about you all weekend. We most certainly must see each other somewhere this year! xoxo,
edie

12 Angel Eagen February 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

This couldn’t have come at a more perfect time.  I had just pulled out the chocolate chips to start cookies with my kids today and then read your post.  We’ll be trying this one instead!

13 chris aldinger February 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

ok i saved this recipe and its moved to top of list to make….but i have a cake to finish up so won’t be till later in week……i am always looking for a great c-chip recipe, what i should do is get all 1,000 of em out (kidding) and ones i remember weren’t really that great throw out!!!

14 Meliss February 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Just checking… A cup of butter and oil? :)

15 edie wadsworth February 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

sorry dear but YES! it does make a lot of cookies though :)

16 Debcalvey February 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

oh my….was just thinking the same thing.  what we do for awesome cookies…..

17 Laurie February 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Just pinned it to try later! Thanks for sharing.

18 Glenda Childers February 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

YUM. Butter and oil … no wonder they are so good.

Fondly,
Glenda

19 Kim | At Home With Kim February 27, 2012 at 4:29 pm

My husband loves Loves LOVES chocolate chip cookies.  So every time I see a new recipe, I feel obligated to try it for him.  :-)  Bookmarking this one to make asap!  Thanks for sharing!!!!

20 Sandy Kelley February 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm

LWML is having a bake sale at church Sunday, so I will definitely be making these!

21 Ruth February 27, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I will have to make these yummy cookies for my family. Chocolate chip. cookies ars they’re favorites.

22 Aread4 February 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Do you use all purpose flour? Thanks, can’t wait to try these!

23 Blalock 95 February 28, 2012 at 12:49 am

Hi, Edie –

Hope you’re taking comments outside of the cookie topic!

First off, meant to thank you a few months back for your note on how to access your home tour video. Fun! Your fearless use of color inspired me. DD and I made over a pair of 1950s-era lamps: glossy, bright turquoise paint on the turned-wood bases, multi-colored fabric trim on the drum shades. They’re wonderful.

Secondly,  did you ask a while back for testimonies from moms who left careers for the mom thing? Did that. Never looked back. The first career was journalism, the second, public relations. Being a mom: priceless. We home-school, too. Some days are difficult, but most are fun, challenging, full of sparkle. And I wouldn’t trade my time with my children for anything.

Thirdly, I have an addition for your 2012 reading list: ”A Lantern in Her Hand” by Bess Streeter Aldrich. Life-changing the first time I read it (age 12), life-affirming every time I’ve read it since. One of the biggest thrills of my life was finding my own copy in a used book store during college days. It’s ragged and yellowed and still in my library. Now, you KNOW something’s a great read when it stays on your Top 10 list for 30 years! Every mother should read it … every American.

Blessings to you and yours.
DJ in Texas

24 Charissa Steyn February 28, 2012 at 3:30 am

These look amazing!!! I see they use lots of butter and sugar :) This must be the secret to their goodness ;) Can’t wait to try them!

25 Michelle Starling February 28, 2012 at 7:56 am

Is this post a cookie recipe day?  I just posted a cookie recipe also.  I’m going to try this because I thought I had the best chocolate chip cookie recipe.  LOL!   I will definitely be making this soon.  Thanks for sharing.

26 Kristen February 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

These cookies are amazing, except when you set them on the countertop to cool (the same countertop you crushed garlic on earlier for dinner)!  My boyfriend asked if I used garlic in the cookies and said the first batch tasted funny, like garlic.  Oops, apparently I didn’t fully clean the garlic oils from the countertop before I placed the cookies there to cool!!!  At first I thought I must still have garlic on my fingers.  The rest of the cookies were amazing.  This will be my Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe!  Thanks Edie!

27 Kristen February 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

28 Kristen February 28, 2012 at 9:33 am

29 Rene February 28, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Flour – All-purpose or self-rising?

30 Beth February 28, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Oh no! I gave up sweets for Lent but I’m going to try these as soon as I can! They look fabulous!

31 Nita February 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I have a recipe for ch.chip cookies with a cup of oil and Crisco!!!! Its a good one, but I am looking forward to trying your out!

32 Maria February 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm

AMAZING cookies! Just finished baking them and they will now take the place of my usual dependable recipe. Thank you, thank you, thank you! And I’m sure my husband will want me to thank you too after he gets to them tonight. I’m considering changing things up a bit to use coconut oil and honey, try to make them a little more health friendly but I cringe at changing their amazingness. ;)

33 cathy March 1, 2012 at 11:36 am

oh, Lordy! i just bit into one hot from the oven. swoon!

thanks for sharing

34 bakingblonde March 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

That is the exact same recipe that my grandma always used, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them frozen! They are so good!

35 Marie at The Lazy W April 24, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Hi Edie! I am linking to this recipe later this week, as part of our taste test. LOVE it, very tender and delish. Thanks!!

36 kim February 26, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Oh my stars! I don’t know if these are the best ever because aren’t all chocolate chip cookies the best ever???? But these? These?…..light. airy. Deeeeeee-lish. Certainly up there with the “best ever” claim. Made exactly as indicated.

37 edie February 27, 2013 at 7:07 am

my sister brought them to my house yesterday and i was reminded again of their deliciousness!!
glad you loved!

38 e March 16, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I have a nearly identical recipe from my great-grandmother – everyone does love them because they’re different from what you expect in a CC cookie and they’re delicious! We roll ours into balls, coat with sugar, and flatten with a glass. I LOVE to eat them straight from the freezer – yum!!

39 Karen June 3, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Hi Edie! I LOVE your blog! I think I came here by way of The Nesting Place and I’ve really enjoyed your posts on faith AND on your lovely home. Anyway, I tried this recipe today for a school picnic tomorrow, and messed it up. It’s my own fault for not following your directions! At 9 minutes though, the cookies looked raw to me because they were still really high and the color was very light. I wondered whether my oven was working (so I went to 13 minutes). My very wise husband said this cookie seemed similar to some made one of his college professors, and remembered that that they were supposed to look raw when you took them out of the oven. Can you tell me whether these are supposed to look undercooked when they come out? Thanks very much! Karen

40 Edie Wadsworth June 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

Welcome, Karen!! Yes, they do look very light when they come out. They are incredibly soft and tender, even when cooked. 9-10 min is probably plenty!! All my friends and family use this as their go-to cookie recipe because it makes so many and they last longer than most cookies!
Blessings,
edie :)

41 Kristi from NC August 10, 2013 at 10:00 am

This looks amazing! Choc. Chip cookies are my weakness :). Do you use all purpose flour?

Thank you!

42 Genny August 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm

I used all purpose flour

43 Genny August 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Just baked them…..added walnuts. Yes indeed very easy and the best I have ever put out.

44 Belen September 3, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Please let me know how much butter it uses in weight :) TIA!!

45 Andi September 9, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I made your cookies, and I like them! Posted on my blog thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com Thank you for another ccc recipe!!! andi

46 Brenda Scott September 11, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Hi,

Just found your best ever chocolate chip cookie recipe on pinterest and I wondered if you could clarify a few things for me? I live in ON, Canada & we don’t buy butter in sticks, its by the pound. So how much is 2 sticks? And do you use hard crisco or liquid crisco oil? And lastly, is the “t”, teaspoon or tablespoon?

Thanks!Brenda

47 Karen September 11, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Hi Brenda! I have made these cookies before and they’re great! Two sticks of butter is 1/2 pound. The abbreviation of a lowercase “t” refers to a teaspoon (a capital “T” is a tablespoon). And the recipe calls for liquid vegetable oil (liquid Crisco). Hope this helps!

48 Ruth @ Living Well Spending Less September 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

Oh, I love a good chocolate chip cookie. I am so going to be trying these out. Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking it up to Thrifty Thursday.

49 Jan Griffiths September 16, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I have just made these cookies, they are to die for! I substituted Hershey’s cinnamon chips for the choc chips and they are fantastic.
This recipe is so easy and quick, it’s my new favourite!!!

50 Heather October 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Is there any adjustments that need to be made for baking at high altitude? I can never get my cookies to turn out right, they always flatten. We’re above a mile high, 6000 ft. TIA!

51 Edie Wadsworth October 2, 2013 at 6:38 pm

oh, Hannah, I don’t even know. I’ve never had any experience baking at high altitude.
I’m sure trusty Google could help. :)

52 Diane Bustos October 5, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Made these today….So awesome. Everybody loved them.

53 paula October 10, 2013 at 1:29 pm

BEST CHOCOLATE CHIPS COOKIES EVER!!! Chocolate chip cookies in almost any version is always a favorite for me and my family. For years I’ve tried very hard but always failing, to make better ones than my Mom. But today…I made these and could not be happier with the results. I made a double batch to take to my church Family Fall Fun Day AND for our Baking Contest, so we shall see :) I baked them exactly as described but on the last 2 pans, I made them much larger and tacked on about 6 minutes extra for baking time. VERY HAPPY with these results as well. Follow these easy directions exactly and you will have consistent and wonderful chocolate chip cookies every time!

54 Edie Wadsworth October 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm

SWEET!! So glad you shared about the bigger cookies, Paula! I’ve done it too and they turned out awesome.
Let us know about the contest! :)

55 Amanda October 22, 2013 at 10:00 pm

At what point do you freeze these? As dough or after you bake them?

56 Paula October 23, 2013 at 6:14 am

After I bake them. I put them in a Tupperware or Rubbermaid container. It works great. I also won 2nd place at the Baking Contest with this recipe! I am sure you can freeze the dough as well but I have personally never tried it yet.

57 Paula October 23, 2013 at 6:14 am

58 Lisa November 19, 2013 at 8:20 am

I would say after you bake them. I froze half the dough when I made them the first time, and the frozen & thawed dough was a little crumbly. The cookies also were not as good a texture when baked as the first half of the batch.

59 Tammy October 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Just made them, they are delicious! Almost have a shortbread taste to them, so good:) I’m sure they’ll all be gone in no time, thanks for sharing!

60 Amber November 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

I made this recipe yesterday. The flavor is good, but I feel that the amount of flour is way too much. My dough was crumbly, and the cookie was dry and powdery. Was I suppose to sift the flour? The recipe calls for 4 1/2 cups, right? They were good, just a strange texture.

61 Kristal December 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Just made these. DELICIOUS!!!!! My family LOVES them!

62 Karen December 11, 2013 at 12:39 am

I am baking these now. ..but I think I did something wrong. They are very crumbly to work with. Very puffy. Came out like balls. The recipe say to cream butter sugars and egg. Was the oil suppose to go in too or later with the flour? I used a liquid vegetable oil and added it with the flour.

63 Edie Wadsworth December 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

Karen,
It sounds like you have a little too much flour? Also? You must not overbake these. Take them out when the edges are just barely lightly brown. Baking can be testy in certain climates and humidity, so that may be part of it too. This recipe is worth perfecting in your climate, because once you figure out the perfect combo for you, these are SO fail proof and easy and delicious. My sister just brought some on a road trip and I think she makes them better than me!! They are a staple in our family. Hope that helps!

64 Karen December 11, 2013 at 8:39 am

From one Karen to another … from your description that they “came out like balls,” I think part of the problem is that you didn’t slightly flatten them with your fingers before baking. (I had the same experience the first time that I made these.) Anyway, the “flattening” part isn’t written in the recipe, but I think you can see that’s what Edie did by looking at the photo, and also an early commenter referenced that too. HTH!

65 Karen December 12, 2013 at 9:14 am

Thanks Karen….I will try that. They tasted good….but were hard. Any suggestion about the texture. How about the oil? Should I have put it in with the butter? I have used Crisco before to make Chocolate Chip cookies but never the liquid. REALLY use OIL???? and should I put it in with the butter, egg and sugar? I loved the taste….and my daughters teenage friends loved the taste too…but they were not soft at all. Thanks again Karen! :)

66 Karen December 12, 2013 at 10:02 am

Hi Karen! About the oil … yes, it’s really oil! It’s been awhile since I made this recipe, so I can’t quite remember what I did. But maybe try creaming the butter, sugars and egg first, and then mix in the oil and vanilla before adding the dry ingredients. The other thing to know is that these cookies are paler in color than most chocolate chip cookies, so when you take them out of the oven they definitely will look much paler than what you’re used to seeing. They will be very light brown around the edges, but very pale otherwise. I learned (from making a mistake the first time) that these cookies really should bake only the 9-10 minutes that the recipe said. HTH!

67 http://espirulinabenefits.com/ December 21, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I almost never comment, but i did some searching and wound up hdre Best
Ever Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe – lifeingrace. Annd I actually ddo have 2 questions for
you if you usually do not mind. Is it simply mme or
does it look like a few of thhe responses look like
coming from brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting at other social sites, I would like
to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list off all of all your communal pages
like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

68 Abbie January 13, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I followed this recipe to a T, but they came out with a very funny taste :/ they are edible, and if the funny taste wasn’t there, they would be fabulous!
I thought (after I tasted them) that I should have used Crisco instead of liquid oil. But after reading the comments, I don’t think that was my mistake.
Any ideas? My husband said it tasted like better, I tasted oil :/

69 Kris January 20, 2014 at 6:50 pm

LOVE, Love, love this recipe!! I have made these cookies three times, and each time… Oh! No words!! I really need to slow down, though. I don’t really like chocolate chip cookies… well, I didn’t before this recipe. My tummy thanks you, but my waist hates you! (almost kidding) :)

Kris

70 Amy January 31, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Believe it or not, I find that Trader Joe’s chocolate chips are the best. Better than Nestle and Ghiradelli. Try it sometime!

71 Melissa February 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I really wanted to love them. I have to agree with Abby, they tasted a little funny. But, I have to say that our favorite recipe is still the one on the Ghirardelli bag or the traditional Toll House. I prefer a fluffier cookie like this recipe, but the taste just wasn’t the same. I like to experiment with different recipes, but I’m sorry this one didn’t work for my cookie fans. :(

72 Tina February 17, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I’m going to make now!

73 Lisa March 5, 2014 at 9:18 am

I have made these a few times and the negative comments confuse me. We love them and I have not used another recipe since trying this one. Fabulous!

74 Edie Wadsworth March 5, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Me too, Lisa! I guess everybody has a different taste. :)

75 Willa April 3, 2014 at 11:14 am

With this recipe I used peanut butter and chocolate chips! I doubled the recipe and used my knuckles!! Loved the way they turned out!! YUMMY!!

76 Kathy April 11, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Thank you so much! I have tried to duplicate my grandmas recipe for over 20 years. This is so vey close! I had to make them right away! My daughter LOVES them.
My grandmas were “whiter” do you think she only used white sugar.
What does brown sugar do for a recipe.
Have a great day! Thanks Kathy

77 Jae April 17, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I used Coconut oil for the oil – WOW!! It doesn’t give it a strong coconut flavor – very slight, if that. I just prefer coconut oil in all my baking now, due to my research into oils and it can replace Crisco if you leave it in it’s solid, but soft form – you do not want to add it to anything chilled enough to make it stiff and chunky. For this recipe, you’ll want to be sure the butter/egg mixture is at room temp, but if the butter is soft, it should be.

78 Joyce Davis June 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Do you use All-purpose flour in this recipe? I think you do since you have baking powder & salt in it, but woiuld like to know before I try it.

Thanks,
Joyce

79 Becky July 17, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Let me start off my saying that I love baking, but I can never make a successful batch of cookies. They’re either too thin, too crunchy, or burnt! However, I just made these cookies and THEY ARE AMAZING. They’re delicious, fluffy, chewy, and have just the right amount of sweetness! Thank you SO MUCH for this amazing recipe. I will be making it again and again.

80 Wendy August 29, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I have wanted to find this recipe since highschool. A bakery in our area made cookies with cream of tartar and they were the best chocolate chip cookies ever
Going to make them right now Thanks for sharing

81 Wendy August 29, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Well as I write this I just ate one of the above cookies.. Well they are the much wanted recipe Again they are wonderful Light and airy and downright good. Will be baking more.. I divided the dough into 4th baked one and wrap logs of the others to freeze and bake later.

82 Dianne November 24, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Made these cookies about a week ago, scooped them, froze them unbaked on a cookie sheet, then bagged them all together in a Ziploc and stuck them in the freezer. Just pulled out a dozen to bake for my son who’s just home from college for the holiday. They.are.delicious. The rate my son’s going, my freezer stash won’t last long! Thank you for the great recipe!!!

83 Edie Wadsworth November 25, 2014 at 7:46 am

Such a great idea Dianne!! So glad they turned out great for you! xoxo

84 Genelle December 1, 2014 at 10:16 pm

These are literally the best chocolate chip cookies that I have ever eaten!! I halved the recipe and just used baking powder as I had no cream of tartar on hand. They still turned out perfectly! :) I was going to free 2 dozen for Christmas but it looks like only 1 dozen will be frozen as the first has almost disappeared already. Thank you!!