Project Pillow

by Edie Wadsworth on August 31, 2010

So, remember I told you about my Home Ec class over at the Freckled Nest?  Well, I’m just loving it.   I haven’t made every single project but I’ve made most of them.

This is by far my favorite.

{And I know that pesky thread is driving you crazy.   Don’t you just want to reach through the computer and snip it?   Yeah, me too.}

I used some Anna Marie Horner fabric that I had left over from last year.    And then I used this technique (just scroll down) to make the felt flower.    And now I want to make twenty more.   Wouldn’t they be the perfect Christmas gift?   I mean, I would love to have a pillow for Christmas.   Wouldn’t you?

It took about an hour. What an amazing gift from an hours’ work.
There is something magical about creating. It’s our Father’s fingerprint on us.

And it goes just perfect in the queen chair. Which is still in the kitchen. (fingers crossed).
Oh and thank you for your lovely words about the kitchen. I’m so glad you like it too. I’ve been dying to show you.

Today’s project: laptop case! Score!

1 Jade @ No Longer 25 August 31, 2010 at 11:48 am

That is gorgeous, I can’t believe it only took you an hour! I really wish I’d signed up for the home ec thing myself. I’m looking forward to getting back into my sewing this month now the summer is fading.

Have a lovely day,
Jade

2 Tara August 31, 2010 at 11:59 am

I {heart} that pillow!

The fabric is almost too much to handle in all it’s awesomeness.

The BIG FELT FLOWER rocks the universe.

3 Annie August 31, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Love the pillow, but love this even more:

“There is something magical about creating. It’s our Father’s fingerprint on us.” Amen!

4 Southern Gal August 31, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Beautiful.

And those threads? I snip and snip and snip and think I’ve gotten every last one. Then if I present it as a gift there will always be one hanging off somewhere. They’re out to get me.

5 Jessica August 31, 2010 at 1:28 pm

That’s cute. Great job Edie. My large sectional has been in need of some new giant pillows for some time now, I can’t seem to find any I like. I’m going to just make some covers for the giant pillows I already have…it’s one of those things from my summer projects list that didn’t get done.

6 lindsey - the pleated poppy August 31, 2010 at 1:30 pm

i’m gonna have to quote you: “creating is our Father’s fingerprint on us”. beautiful!

7 Teena August 31, 2010 at 1:32 pm

The pillow is absolutely beautiful! Is there anything you can’t do? The kitchen looks wonderful, too! Thank you for sharing it.

8 kim August 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm

LOVE IT!!! How cute can it get??

9 kim August 31, 2010 at 2:32 pm

LOVE IT!!! How cute can it get??

10 FeFe August 31, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I joined that class when you linked it last time. I’m LOVING it! tomorrow I start the banner. Awesome job on the pillow!

11 Michelle F August 31, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for sharing this tutorial, was a great pillow. I just started sewing again, this looks nice and easy. Thanks.

12 Kristi August 31, 2010 at 3:56 pm

LOVE this pillow! Looks awesome Edie! I really really need to learn my sewing machine…..
My kids went to the Luthern church VBS last week (I posted about it) and loved it, we are trying service this Sunday there, I’ll keep you posted.
I also ordered The small Catechism and The Lutheran Prayer book and loving them both :)
Kristi

13 teresa August 31, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Well that’s just the cutest little pillow I ever did see!
And I think it will be PERFECT sitting in that fabulous chair in your new beyond~fabulous kitchen!
I know you and your girls are going to have some great times in that kitchen!
You’re a doll Edie!
And I think all that you do with your girls…and home schooling is AMAZING!
Good for you!
xo

14 the domestic fringe August 31, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Wow! That pillow is beautiful. Great job.
-FringeGirl

15 Carrie August 31, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Learning something new is always so encouraging. Your pillow is darling!

16 Elizabeth August 31, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Super cute!!

17 sandy August 31, 2010 at 9:32 pm

There are two of those little threads..lol
Very nice indeed! Love the fabric on the pillow.
Sandy

18 Mary @ Room Polish August 31, 2010 at 10:16 pm

you made this?!?!—-i’m in awe! What an awesome DIY. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

19 patty September 1, 2010 at 3:39 am

beautiful edie! so funny b/c i found a bride’smaid dress (stop laughing) in my closet with this purge… funniest part is that is is from MY wedding. and i am about to snip it up and make cute little somethings (no idea yet) for xmas to mail to each of my bridesmaids.

this is my new technique for getting rid of whilest not actually getting rid of.

20 Lindsey@mama sews September 1, 2010 at 11:33 am

Cute Pillow! I love the color scheme. I’m thinking I need to make a couple of pillows like that myself, thanks for sharing the link. I always wanted to see how that type of pillow was made.

21 Kara @ Launching Our Lives Together September 2, 2010 at 2:27 pm

LOVE the pillow. LOVE EVEN MORE the flower. Thanks for the tutorial this morning!

22 Erin September 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I love this pillow! Absolutely beautiful. I just found your place through 320 sycamore. I have enjoyed looking through what you have posted and all your great ideas. I’ll be back!

23 Lana Austin September 2, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Love it…I so (pun UNintended) wish that I could sew better!
The pillow’s fab!
Hugs,
L

24 lolobye5 September 3, 2010 at 3:50 am

oh I am just lovin this pillow! You just gave me the pillow bug what a wonderful idea for gifts. It really only took you an hour? I am so doing this!!Thank You :)

25 Mela Kamin September 9, 2010 at 12:03 am

just lovely … I’m doing that class too and it’s been so fun. I definitely agree with you about creating – it’s a wonderful way to spend some time, using what God gave us and allowing our uniqueness to come through. This pillow definitely has your fingerprint and His on it. Well done!

26 mara November 5, 2010 at 11:53 pm

i love this pillow! i don’t see the steps for making the flowers. did i miss them?

27 Neha December 24, 2010 at 9:15 am

This is lovely! Whr r the steps?