12 Days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials:: Day 1 {Dishmat}

by Edie Wadsworth on October 31, 2009

It’s finally here! The 12 Days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials! Thank you for stopping by and don’t forget to grab the button to your right and let your friends know that we will be featuring 12 creative and talented guest posters today through November 12. I also have been asked several times to host a Mr.Linky after this is over so that you all can show us your homeade/handmade goodies. Let me know if you’d be interested in that.

I’m so excited about today’s guest and I know that after you visit her site, she’s gonna be one of your favorites. Please make welcome the ever gifted Darby from Fly Through Our Window. Her blog is a treasure of great resources from how to make crock pot apple butter {which I’m currently trying} to how to make a professional looking roman shade. Through her exquisite photography, we get to ‘fly through her window’ and be blessed by her mother-love, her refreshing perspective on being a follower of Christ and her abundant tips and tutorials on all things ‘home’. She is the mother of three adorable children, wife to Justin–her college sweetheart and archeologist, a member of a PCA church {her motto is ‘I’m a big sinner with a bigger Saviour’}, twin sister to Erika {interior designer—whose blog I also love} and we are so blessed she has opened her life to us through her wonderful blog. So, now go, be a fly on the wall! Take it away Ms.Darby!!!
Darby_by Marla_forEdie

While I wish that I could take full credit for this creation, I must admit that the idea sprouted from something I saw on the SouleMama.com blog for a bathmat that was altered to make a dish mat using recycled towels. I loved the idea and if you’re anything like me, you always place a dish towel above the dishwasher as you unload for those pesky plastics that never dry. This version is a combination of terrycloth and 2 fun fabrics. My dish mat has become a permanent fixture in the kitchen and has been put to very good use!

dishmat4

You’ll need:
5/8 yard of main fabric **PREWASHED**
5/8 yard of coordinating fabric **PREWASHED**
5/8 yard of terrycloth or a recycled bath towel **PREWASHED**

Instructions:

::All seam allowances are ¼” unless otherwise noted.

::Cut or tear main fabric {with grain} into (4) 5 ½” x 22 ½”
strips.

::Cut or tear coordinating fabric {with grain} into (5) 3 ¼”
x 22 ½” strips.

::Starting with the thinner coordinating fabric, piece the front of the dish mat together, sew with a straight stitch
& press seams towards/under the main fabric panels {this will build bulk and give an appearance of fabric being inset}.

triplestitch

Once you’ve pressed the seams. Top stitch with a 1/4” seam allowance, using a triple stitch along the inside seam of the main fabric. A triple stitch will give you a thick & substantial looking stitch. If your machine doesn’t have a triple stitch a straight stitch would work just fine, but be less “substantial”.

Note how the weight of the triple stitch makes the smaller strips look inset.
dishmat_triplestitch
Now that you’ve pieced the top together, lay it on top of your bath towel or terrycloth {with right sides together} cut the terry cloth to size and pin together around the edges.
dishmat2
Using a 1/2” seam allowance, sew around the outside of the dish mat with right sides together, be sure to leave an opening large enough on one side to turn the dish mat right side out. Once you’ve sewn around the outside with right sides together, trim your seams and clip your corners.
Then you can turn your dish mat right sides out, press, and hand sew the opening shut. Finish by top stitching around the outside of the finished dish mat using about a 3/8” seam allowance.
clippedcorner
The terrycloth does tend to pucker a little around the edges. After the first wash it will lay completely flat. These will make wonderful Christmas gifts, hostess’s gifts, and if you have time, make one for yourself– you will put it to good use, especially if sippy cups come out of your dishwasher regularly!
dishmat5

The {pdf} tutorial can be downloaded and printed here.

I know, she’s so darn crafty and tech-y and cute and fun! Maybe she’ll give us tutorial and how to make such an awesome pdf file tutorial!
Just so you know, I’ve made two of these already and can’t wait to give them as gifts. I’m not an experienced seamstress and it took me just a little over an hour to finish one! I feel so indebted to Darby for doing this for us—-even while she was sick this week. With three sick kiddies. Thank you Darby, I am so grateful!

BTW, she will be back for our grand finale on day 12! I can hardly wait. Coming up tomorrow, The Nester!!!

1 Kelly November 1, 2009 at 7:39 pm

What fun! I might make one today since I'm laying low.

2 Love Being a Nonny November 1, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Darby's blog is my favorite blog!! I love this tutorial. It is so practical and looks great too! Thanks for doing this. I was looking so forward to it…now I can't wait until tomorrow…I love The Nester too!!!

3 Jennifer November 1, 2009 at 8:52 pm

What a great idea… it looks cute too! I don't sew… but I might just have to give this one a try! Love your "12 Days" idea… I will be here every day! :)

4 Denise November 1, 2009 at 9:26 pm

So cute! I'll get right on it right after I finish my tutorial! YIKES! On second thought, why don't you just whip one up for me, Edie! I'll pick it up on Tuesday! hehehe

5 REbekah November 1, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Ok, I was a little nervous when I saw the title that this might be a difficult project but I think I might be able to do this! I am excited to see what is yet to come! Oh-BTW, Edie, I have made your recipe for Blueberry Coffee Cake 2 times in the past month and it has turned out GREAT! The kids AND Hubby, who is not a sweets person,love it! THANKS! :)- Rebekah

6 Ami November 1, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I do love this idea but alas I am sewing challenged. If I do decide to take the plunge and get a sewing machine this does seem like an unintimidating first project. i do love any project that recycles!

I can however lend a hand on the techy side of things. There's great, free software that will convert any word document to a pdf with 3 clicks. Happy to share more if you like. You have to let me know when you decide to have 12 tech days :). Until then, I will follow along with all the craftiness with envy.

7 Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster November 1, 2009 at 10:44 pm

This is a great tutorial. Wonderful idea!
Nancy

8 amy November 1, 2009 at 11:01 pm

darby's blog is one of my favorites!
and there will definitely be a couple of these under my tree this year! love it.

9 Melissa Stover November 1, 2009 at 11:19 pm

i love darby's blog almost as much as i love yours. this is going to be a fun week!

10 Melissa Stover November 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm

well, more than a week, since 12 days and all…

11 Darla November 1, 2009 at 11:57 pm

oh i am excited! what a great idea…i'm sick of ugly towels under my dishes on the counter! i can't wait to get started…going to get some fabric now! woohoo!

12 Mandi Shandi November 2, 2009 at 12:00 am

I have followed Darby's blog for quite a while and I LOVE it. These dishmats are adorable and would be great Christmas gifts. I am so excited about this Edie!

13 do it yourselfer November 2, 2009 at 12:08 am

oh, how cute! I have towels that I received for my wedding..13 years ago and they are starting to shred. This is a fantastic way to recycle! Thanks!

14 juliecache November 2, 2009 at 2:01 am

Found my way here via Darcy (my3b). I like all things handmade and am following now. May mention your blog in a future post. Thanks.

15 Kimm at Reinvented November 2, 2009 at 2:55 am

Oh my goodness, these are fabulous! I hate that I almost always have a dish towel on the counter for wet dishes. Of course, I could dry them…but I'd rather have a beautiful dish mat! :)

16 Jacquelin November 2, 2009 at 3:32 am

Wow, what a great idea, love it. I know we will be gifting these under the tree this year. Can't wait to see what's in store for the next 11 days!

17 Heather at All A Flutter November 2, 2009 at 3:37 am

I love that!

18 Darby November 2, 2009 at 4:13 am

Thanks so much for including me!! It's a pleasure being here on your blog!!

19 Kristen November 2, 2009 at 4:22 am

soooo cute!! so excited to see the tutorials!

20 Rebekah Williams November 2, 2009 at 4:42 am

Great idea! Love seeing Darby over here!

21 The Tomato Vine November 2, 2009 at 4:47 am

I love love love this idea!! When I get some time I will have too make one too – thanks for sharing :)

22 Susan November 2, 2009 at 5:27 am

Hi Edie, Love the "12 Days" theme. I first saw this dishmat on Darby's blog. I'm a beginner at sewing… You putting it out there again may push me to actually try it! Thanks :)

23 Amber Ellis November 2, 2009 at 5:45 am

I found you through Darby's blog today, and I've added you to my list! For the past 2 hours I've been reading your blog and I can't stop (although I must now, because a 22 month old little boy will be waking in a few hours and I must be fully rested for him)! Your blog is awesome! I can't wait to read more.

BTW, I my mother's family is from the Tri-Cities. See, we already have something in common….haha!

24 Jen Kershner November 2, 2009 at 11:24 am

It's brilliant! I must make one. I get so tired of that ugly towel on my counter!

25 Kelly November 2, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Love this and am excited to have discovered Darby's blog through yours:-) She is darling!

26 Kellie November 2, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I'm one of Darby's friends and I was led to your blog from hers – isn't she amazing?? – and you too!!! I don't sew, but hopefully will learn to one day – you are very inspirational to me! Thanks for a fun read!

27 Erin November 2, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I love this! I can't wait to make a few of my own! Thanks for the great tutorial, I'll definitely be back for days 2-12!

28 gina November 2, 2009 at 4:48 pm

oh, I would LOVe one of these- I really need to learn to sew!! I'm always balancing dishes on paper towels. Not pretty. And you could make holiday themed ones too. LOVE this idea!!

29 Halo Hill November 2, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I'm so glad I found you and your blog! You're my new fav!

Hugs,
Sheila

30 Sonnie November 2, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Love the 12 Days idea and I vote *yes* for a Mr. Linky party afterward. This is a great tutorial and what a fun project to try!

31 Rachel November 2, 2009 at 7:10 pm

I just found your blog through a link on Darby's. Both of you fabulous ladies are an amazing encouragement. After reading through your blog for a little while, I felt so encouraged to seek God more. Thanks for being a living example!

32 Casey November 2, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I fell in love with that mat when she made it! I'm so glad there's a tutorial now!

33 carissa... brown eyed fox November 2, 2009 at 8:50 pm

first i have to say….
when i saw your 12 days of homemade idea… "what a GREAT idea"…
sooooo excited to see all the fun!

then… when i saw your sneak peek…
your stockings…
i nearly fell right off my chair!
they are simply THE BEST… packed with big character & personality!

then… yesterday i got a chance to peek over at
Darby's blog… you weren't kidding… she sure seems terrific… loving her dish mat! clever as ever!

what a treasure your 12 days of homemade is!
we are all so lucky to get to soak in all the goodness over here!

34 Its So Very Cheri November 2, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Love it. I joined to follow and hope you will come by my blog for a visit and follow too.

Cheri

35 cheri November 2, 2009 at 11:17 pm

I made the dishmat this morning. It only took an hour and I was able to use some April Cornell scraps that I had been hoarding 'cuz they were too small for much of anything but too big to throw out.

Perfect project and just what I needed for my weird/cool sink and a half that doesn't allow for a normal dish drainer.

Thank you! I am new to your blog, but I'll be back!

36 holynickel November 2, 2009 at 11:18 pm

That is adorable!!!

37 cheri November 2, 2009 at 11:19 pm

(forgot to mention that I am a fellow homeschooler – sent you an email earlier today but neglected to leave my blog link)

38 Ruth November 3, 2009 at 2:14 pm

What a great idea. This will make a wonderful gift.

39 Heidi November 3, 2009 at 4:38 pm

very fun, practical and totally chic! love it!

40 Darla November 10, 2009 at 9:08 pm

if you have a chance, go see my dishmat, i finished it last night! i have had more fun checking your blog and doing these projects. thanks for hosting this!

Darla

41 Sam November 21, 2009 at 12:54 am

I love that idea and even more I love love your mugs!!! Where in the world did you find polka dot mugs?

42 You can just call me...dotty... November 28, 2009 at 1:41 am

Thank you for a very crafty idea. I got mine made shortly after reading your tutorial. I enjoyed looking through your other 'days' ideas also.

I found you in a round-about way, but linkied to your tutorial on my blog…….. http://thedottydline.blogspot.com/2009/11/birthday-fun.html#comments

43 Sue January 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Edie, I have been looking over old post on your blog hoping to get to know you better. I have also been praying for you and I think of you often . . .

I am so glad for this post. I was at my DIL’s yesterday and she has a dish mat (store bought) and I LOVE IT! I kept thinking I want one. Well here it is! I can make my own. This is great. Thank you. (If you see this please don’t feel you must reply. I know you have closed comments on newer posts.) Many Blessings, Sue