Best Ever Beef Stew

by Edie Wadsworth on February 3, 2009

IMG_3108

I’ve been promising you a beef stew tutorial video, which I went to the trouble of making.  Thankyouverymuch.  And it’s horrible.  Or ‘hahrrible’ as I would have sounded on the video.  I’m not so fond of my video’d voice.  So I give you the limited pictures I took and my very granny-ish instructions.

The Best Beef Stew Ever

Ingredients:

• 2-3 pounds of beef stew meat
  • Steak seasoning (I use Montreal)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • beef stock (I swear by Kitchen Basics and usually use a whole box, by the time you add stock several times to the stew)
  • 1/2 red wine (I use it if I have it, but good beef stock will do)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bag baby carrots (about 20-30)
  • 4-5 large red potatoes, cut to bite sized chunks
  • 1 package of cremini mushrooms
  • crushed red pepper, a few shakes
  • salt and pepper, all along the way to add layers of flavor
  • 3 T. worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T. good honey
  • 2 T. garlic/herb seasoning (I buy mine from Sam’s)
  • optional veggies—I often add fresh brussel sprouts (halved, I usually parboil them for a few minutes to release the bitter flavor, then add to stew), parnsips (chunked), sweet potatoes (cut into chunks) cabbage (cut into quarters, if I’m not using brussel sprouts), frozen peas

How I do it:

Start with a package of boneless stew meat.  I usually buy a large package for my large family (I’m guessing 2-3 pounds).  Coat it with Canadian steak seasoning or 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe’s and salt it well.  Then dredge it in flour. In a very hot dutch oven with a generous amount of oil added (you can also use some bacon fat, which I HIGHLY recommend, along with your more sensible oil), brown the meat on all sides.  Once browned, add 1/2 cup (or so) of red wine (or a bottle, which I’ve been known to use if I’m making a double batch) and then enough beef stock to cover the meat and place the cover on the dutch oven and place it into a 250 degree oven.  Let it cook for 3-4 hours.  Three’s probably enough, but if you leave it for four…that’s okay too. After four hours, take it out of the oven and it will look something like this.
best ever beef stew
Then chop the following items into bite sized pieces:  4 carrots, 1 large onion, 4 large red potatoes (don’t use russet: they turn to mush), and  a package of cremini mushrooms (often I go an extra step and hold the mushrooms until the end, at which point I cook them in bacon fat and oil and then add them separately to the stew at the very end.  If I’m not short on time, I add them now).  At this point you can just add all these veggies to the stew or you can go the extra mile and give these a short saute in some olive oil to release some of their natural sugar.  I think the extra step is worth it but I’ve done it both ways based on time.  Generously salt and pepper the veggies and then add more beef stock so that most of the veggies are covered.  Don’t totally submerse them though or there’ll be too much liquid.  Also add a few shakes of red pepper, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce, 2 T. of garlic-herb seasoning, and 2 T. of honey.  Put back into the oven at 250 for another 3 hours.
best ever beef stew
When you take it out of the oven, the veggies should be soft but not mushy.  Now for the part that makes my family think I’m a superhero:  Add 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 t. sugar, stir and then taste it.  It may need more salt, pepper, honey, whathaveyou.  To finish it, thaw a half bag of frozen peas in the microwave and add those to the stew and then add 2T. of tomato paste.  Put it back into the oven until your ready to serve. You can turn the oven off and just let it bask in the warmth.   Serve with southern cornbread and prepare for lives to be changed.  I forgot to take a picture just as it came out the oven, but here it is after 7 hungry people devoured it!
Enjoy!
Note to parents:  The flour that you use to dredge the meat in is what will thicken your stew so be generous.

MY NEWEST BLOG SPONSOR:

This post is generously sponsored by my YL. I am into natural choices for my family, and this is the main way I help boost our immune systems and alleviate lots of minor aches, pains, and injuries.  Read more about how we are using them everyday! My Young Living essential oils are also my newest business venture, and the oils are so well loved that they sponsor my blog!!! Thank you, friends!  Enroll by clicking here.

Best Ever Beef Stew

Best Ever Beef Stew

Ingredients

• 2-3 pounds of beef stew meat
  • Steak seasoning (I use Montreal)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 red wine (I use it if I have it, but good beef stock will do)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 bag baby carrots (about 20-30)
  • 4-5 large red potatoes, cut to bite sized chunks
  • 1 package of cremini mushrooms
  • crushed red pepper, a few shakes
  • salt and pepper, all along the way to add layers of flavor
  • 3 T. worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T. good honey
  • 2 T. garlic/herb seasoning (I buy mine from Sam's)
  • optional veggies—I often add fresh brussel sprouts (halved, I usually parboil them for a few minutes to release the bitter flavor, then add to stew), parnsips (chunked), sweet potatoes (cut into chunks) cabbage (cut into quarters, if I'm not using brussel sprouts), frozen peas

Instructions

1. Start with a package of boneless stew meat. I usually buy a large package for my large family (I'm guessing 2-3 pounds).
  2. Coat it with Canadian steak seasoning or 21 Seasoning Salute from Trader Joe's and salt it well.
  3. Dredge it in flour.
  4. In a very hot dutch oven with a generous amount of oil added (you can also use some bacon fat, which I HIGHLY recommend, along with your more sensible oil), brown the meat on all sides.
  5. Once browned, add 1/2 cup (or so) of red wine (or a bottle, which I've been known to use if I'm making a double batch) and then enough beef stock to cover the meat and place the cover on the dutch oven and place it into a 250 degree oven. Let it cook for 3-4 hours.
  6. Then chop the following items into bite sized pieces: 4 carrots, 1 large onion, 4 large red potatoes, and a package of cremini mushrooms (often I go an extra step and hold the mushrooms until the end, at which point I cook them in bacon fat and oil and then add them separately to the stew at the very end. If I'm not short on time, I add them now).
  7. At this point you can just add all these veggies to the stew or you can go the extra mile and give these a short saute in some olive oil to release some of their natural sugar. I think the extra step is worth it but I've done it both ways based on time.
  8. Generously salt and pepper the veggies and then add more beef stock so that most of the veggies are covered. Don't totally submerse them though or there'll be too much liquid. Also add a few shakes of red pepper, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce, 2 T. of garlic-herb seasoning, and 2 T. of honey.
  9. Put back into the oven at 250 for another 3 hours.
  10. When you take it out of the oven, the veggies should be soft but not mushy.
  11. Now for the part that makes my family think I'm a superhero: Add 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 t. honey, stir and then taste it. It may need more salt, pepper, honey, whathaveyou.
  12. To finish it, thaw a half bag of frozen peas in the microwave and add those to the stew and then add 2T. of tomato paste.
  13. Put it back into the warm oven until your ready to serve. You can turn the oven off and just let it bask in the warmth.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 cindy February 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I’ve been waiting for life changin’ beef stew.
love, Cindy

2 patty February 3, 2009 at 12:20 pm

and I have been waiting for the mocha chocolate cake.. with it, i might be a contender for the gardian angel-ship!!! hope today is much better for you edie!! love ya!

3 Carrie February 3, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for the recipe I love beef stew!

4 Mandi February 3, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Oh Edie you MUST love us! I am so gonna make both of these. Thanks again for sharing!

5 leigh ann February 3, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Hey Edie!! I’m glad the hackers didn’t prevail…don’t worry about the mullet email ever being lost. I have it backed up on a disc because you never know. Oddly enough, I don’t have many family pictures backed up….thanks for the recipes!

6 Kristen February 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm

That cook looks absolutely divine! Mocha, chocolate – two of my favorite things!

7 Katy February 3, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Well, Heavenly Hanna! This all looks wonderful. I’m now starving.

Come over and see my giveaway…send all your buds my way as well. You’ll like it!!!

8 Kim @ Forever Wherever February 3, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the Beef Stew recipe. I’ve always guessed at how to make it…maybe that’s why it hasn’t worked out so well! I’m going to make this on one of the cold nights coming up. It looks warm and yummy! Your desserts always look great!!! What an awesome Mom!
-Kim

9 Trina February 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Whoa, you are killin me with the Mocha Cake recipe. *drools*

10 Hi! I'm Kirsten... February 4, 2009 at 1:16 am

YUM!! Whatever the cause Edie, I truly love when you share recipes. Always the best day of my week :-) Perhaps I will go make your mocha cake as a belated birthday gift to myself since no one made me a cake yesterday…

HUGS!
Kirsten

11 Morgan February 4, 2009 at 3:22 am

oh Edie!
now you will know how often i check my blog…haha i just got your comment from weeks ago! and i do believe the Verity has 2 quite awesome fans (ahem. you and i) and all the others…i had such a good time skating your pictures are great…as always :)

love ya!

12 Queen to my 3 Boys February 4, 2009 at 5:59 am

Hi Edie –

You have soooo ruined my eat-healthy-take-care-of-my-body routine!

I tell ya…it’s 10pm right now and I was heading to bed, but just might whip me up a mocha cake instead. Yum!

(You are not a good friend!) *wink*

13 gina February 4, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Pooh. I don’t like mocha- but the cake does LOOK good. :) And the stew? I ‘ll take it!

14 Lori February 4, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I saw this link on Blissfully Domestic, and I’m glad I dropped by. I like how you took photos of your food in different stages. The recipes sound great.

-Lori

15 .Keli. February 4, 2009 at 5:45 pm

Um, can you just whip this up for me, cuz you know I don’t cook. PLEASE….please….You are the best! : ) xo

16 The Peterson family February 12, 2009 at 7:46 pm

i will have to try this version of beef stew!! it looks so yummy- with the cream! and… the mocha cake may be on our valentine’s dinner menu!! i have been wanting to try this cake! i send love over your way…

17 The Peterson family February 16, 2009 at 9:25 pm

makin the beef stew as I type!!!! cant wait to devour it tonight with some warm french bread.

18 Jessica February 20, 2009 at 2:47 am

K, I’m going to attempt your stew. What does dredge mean? Just roll the meat in flour? Any particular kind of wine that’s good? I don’t know my wine. If you get this in time great, otherwise, have fun in AL. I’ll let you know how it turns out, I’m sure Kimball and his scouts will love having it up at their winter campout tomorrow. :)

19 Mrs. K September 19, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Hi, I came over from your comment at The Nester's site. I am looking forward to trying both of these recipes.

20 Mrs. K September 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I, too, am making this right now and came over from The Nester's place. I have a couple of questions though. What is the Canadian seasoning and what is in your garlic-herb seasoning because I don't have either one of them on hand. I just salt and peppered the beef then added some seasonings with the veggies but I'm sure to do it right would taste better. Maybe the garlic-herb is something I can make?

21 AmyP. December 28, 2009 at 7:44 pm

This is now one of my husband's favorite meals. Maybe you should put that disclaimer on the post, seeing as how you invest about a year of your life making it. But it IS scrumptious – and I don't usually even like beef stew! I leave out the tomato paste, but otherwise make it per recipe..

22 Cam2Cam Hardcore Chat July 4, 2010 at 8:21 am

Candies and the, umbrellas that can?Golf driver Since, retirement income You.Hier gibt es, sees the remote.And responsibilities should Cam2Cam Hardcore Chat, to keep copies has to embrace.Detail about proofs, like That simply.,

23 Dwalkerrx December 28, 2010 at 12:39 am

Made this today for my family , everyone loved it. Best ever!

24 ladygirl October 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

HI Edie – I am in constant awe as I look over your blog, every day is a beautiful surprise to see your beautiful new home.  You are a real  source of encouragement after what you have been through. God is good and may he bless your family now and forever.  Betty Baker,from Ontario ,Canada.

25 Arizelda November 29, 2011 at 4:06 am

Very yummy stew. Looking forward to leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

26 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 4:13 am

oh yay! thanks for sharing :)

27 Paula January 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Edie,  I made this wonderful stew and mocha cake last night for my son who is home from college for another week.  He invited three buddies over to have “his Mom’s awesome food”……. I live alone and absolutely loved drawing in these thankful college kids who appreciate a home cooked meal.  I think they will be back!

28 Tanya Frost January 15, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I just finished making and eating the beef stew. It’s the best I’ve made, my family loved it. Thank you.

Tanya

29 sheila February 28, 2012 at 10:08 am

The name does not lie, this is the best ever!

30 lesley September 9, 2013 at 12:00 pm

this looks delish . I need to try this, but I will wait til its cooler in Texas to have my oven on all day.. I do a beef stew in the slow cooker and instead of red wine I add a can of Guinness, I top it with puff pastry .

31 trish October 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This looks amazing! I really love how you add the brussel sprouts! great idea!

32 Kelly October 28, 2013 at 2:02 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! Pinned and Stumbled. xo

33 Kristina November 11, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I made this tonight and it was wonderful.

34 ginny January 20, 2014 at 5:24 pm

the southern cornbread doesn’t work. it will go to it, but then immediately it goes to your home page. i need to get my favorites printed out!!

35 Oakley Pas Cher April 18, 2014 at 7:43 am

Signature dishes: Ham chips dusted with vinegar powder, which is prepared from Broadbent country ham and pureed with tapioca pearls, before being dehydrated and fried to order. Main courses feature heartier preparations of game, poultry and fish as well as unique vegetarian offerings such as braised little gem in grilled pea broth with mushroom puree and mint oil. Following a refreshing, palate cleanser, desserts might include Burns signature Beets and Rhubarb dish ? a juiced rhubarb mousse, topped with pea and anise hyssop sorbet and an Italian beet meringue.

36 carolyn October 27, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I really wish there was a “print” option on your recipes so that they could be printed without the whole page of extra stuff. I know I’m not the only reader who wants to print them. Thanks

37 Lyssa October 27, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Dearest Edie:

So glad to hear from you. You have been greatly missed. I sorta figured you were working on your book. Can’t wait to read it. You are such a BEAUTIFUL writer.

P.S. Forgot about your cute hair. Still love it!

38 Chrissy October 28, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Question- the one pic seems to show brussel sprouts and parsnips cut up and seasoned in your pot. But they aren’t listed as an ingredient. Do you use them in your beef stew? Can’t wait to try this recipe!

39 Edie Wadsworth October 29, 2014 at 5:24 am

I do sometimes use brussel sprouts but not always!

40 Lisa October 30, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Made the beef stew today and the taste is so yummy, but the beef-as to always be my story-has the texture of shredded cardboard. I browned both the beef and veggies and threw everything in the recipe in the crockpot for the day since I had to be away. Can anyone tell me what the secret to tender beef in beef stew is?

41 Edie Wadsworth October 31, 2014 at 11:02 am

Lisa, So sorry the meat wasn’t tender. I always cook my very slow and at 250 in a dutch oven. I actually don’t do mine in the crock pot. Try it next time in a dutch oven and I bet you’ll be pleased with the beef.

42 Kimberly November 2, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Made this today and it is AMAZING! Can’t wait for lunch tomorrow too ;-)

43 Mailyn November 13, 2014 at 8:24 am

Making a list for the groc shopping. Looks wonderful!