Girls, you are in for a treat!!!! Savannah (political science graduate turned MAC make up artist) has graciously agreed to give us 30 and 40 somethings some tips. I was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of that magical make-up brush of hers, and though there’s probably nothing on the market (short of a scalpel) to make me look 25 again, I am completely in awe of her knowledge base and skill level with a wide variety of ages, colors, face and eye shapes, etc.
Beware of this ghetto video and don’t scramble to write stuff down because I list everything you need below. This video is proof that I love you. Amen.
2. Eye primer—Use the tip of your finger to apply painterly (from a paint pot) all over the eye from lid to brow. This functions like double stick tape for your eye shadow and gives much more even coverage. (I’ve been using this product or one like it for 3-4 years and I love it.)
3. Apply brule’ eye color over the whole eye. Then use a light brown like wedge for the crease. To apply the crease color, use a blending brush (MAC brush number 217) and apply the color at the lateral edge of the crease and then do a windshield wiper motion just under the brow bone in the crease. It’s better to start with less color and then build it; you can’t easily remove the color. Of course, if you’re Tammy Faye like me, then more is better.
4. A good way to brighten the eyes is to add a light color like brule’ to the tear duct. You can apply it with your finger or with the same blending brush.
5. The Audrey Hepburn eye is heavy on the black eyeliner. And it’s not rocket science, but it’s not that easy to do either. To make it easier, Savannah used a small angled brush (MAC #266) to apply a brown eye shadow (Handwritten) in exactly the place where the black eye liner is to go. It serves as a template for where to place the liner. Start by lining the lower lash line as close to the base of the lash as possible. Then extend the line past the corner about 1/4th an inch following the natural line of the lower lid. It’s a common mistake to just free hand the top liner without paying attention to the actual shape of the eye. (This usually results in having it curved upwards in an unnatural way).
6. Then fill in the template with the black liner. The one from MAC is called Boot Black liquid liner and it is fantabulous. After Savannah did my left eye, I practiced on my right eye. Not too bad, huh? Then finish the look with the brow groomer. It is applied with a wand (like a mascara) and makes a huge difference in the overall look. I used to never leave the house without lip gloss and mascara. Now, I never leave without brow groomer heavily applied. It would be one of the ten items I’d take if I were stranded on a deserted island.
I need you to be on the same ‘brow-groomer’ page as me. There’s power in the brow.
So, I snapped another little pic for you this morning.
Go to MAC. Go directly to MAC. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Get some brow groomer—which is officially called brow set. Mmmkay?