another reason to love homecoming

by Edie Wadsworth on July 21, 2012

I’ve been waiting with baited breath for my tomatoes to ripen.
Everyday, I check the garden in hopes of juicy red manna from heaven.
Of course, as soon as I leave, they do their thing.
Just another reason to anticipate my homecoming.
I have been unbelievably blessed and inspired this weekend. I’ve sat under the tutelage of Andrew Kern, John Hodges, David Hicks and then had the very distinct privilege of hearing Wendell Berry speak a few wise words on education and read portions of his own writing in his very charming Southern grandfatherly voice. As a confessed Wendell Berry fan, it was nearly transcendent. But there’s really nothing like going home, is there?
I can’t wait to smooch on Stevie and love on the girls and enter into the joy that comes from eating fresh tomatoes from one’s own garden.

Stevie texted me this photo to entice me home.  It totally worked.

See you in a day or two when I’ve had time to contemplate and process all I’ve taken in.

It’s been a game changer.

I’ll be the first to register for the Circe Conference next year.

p.s.  You should add this one to your ‘Pearl Jam Summer’ playlist.

1 michele July 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I heart homegrown tomatoes and Pearl Jam. In fact, I keep a cd player in the kitchen and borrow music from the library – it is one of tricks to getting me in the kitchen (I’d rather be anywhere than in there, sad but true). Added this to my library list.

So happy you had a wonderful trip, hope you are planning to blog more about it.

xomichele

2 Marie at the Lazy W July 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

You actually heard Wendyll Berry speak live?? Awesome!! So cool. I hope you have the time & energy to share some more of what you’ve gleaned. I am craving some classical and fundamental stuff.
As for those tomatoes, WOW, so many shapes, and what a pretty shade of red. Congrats! Welcome home!!

3 elizabeth highsmith July 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm

i adore you tomato mama, and the range of your vocab from tutelage to ya’ll
toot-a-lou

4 Glenda Childers July 22, 2012 at 6:36 am

So sweet and creative that your husband sent you this enticing picture.

5 Jenifer M July 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

OMG so funny, as I was listening to my playlist on Spotify, and Black by Pearl Jam(which happens to be my favorite ) was blaring, I started to read your post…..great minds think alike

6 Ruth July 22, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Oh! Edie-I am waiting with baited breath to read the wisdom you share from the Circe Conference. We are waiting for our tomatoes to ripen. You have quite a bounty there.
Enjoy your time with your family, loving on them.
Hugs,

7 michelle@Life on the Funny Farm July 23, 2012 at 9:27 am

Oh I love fresh tomatoes from the garden. I swear they just taste better. And those pictured above look so yummy.

8 Andrea from Raising Peanut July 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

YUM! How did you get those to grow so quickly!??? My tom plants are still just babies. Altho, we are in a drought here in the midwest. :)

The conference sounds great, but only for educators?

9 laura July 23, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thrilled you’re home. Delighted you had a chance to go. Can just taste that lovely home grown juicy tart sweetness of your tomatoes. Still waiting for mine. Eager to hear from you about your experience – isn’t it wonderful how words of wisdom, experience, insight, instruction, and encouragement change us?