31 Tips for Rebuilding Your Home and Heart | Day 1

by Edie Wadsworth on October 1, 2011

I’m a joiner. That’s just all there is to it.
And I fly by the seat of my pants so I decided THIS MORNING to do this.
I love a good party and I really want to make time to tell you about all the details of my house before they are lost in the oblivion of my head.
So, since we’re moving in next week anyways, I thought I’d make a ‘loose’ commitment to tell you something everyday about this process.
I’m great at starting things but not such a strong finisher so you’ll have to keep me motivated.
And perhaps I can’t do it in 31 days per se. But then again, maybe I can.
Nester can talk me into anything. Not that she was talking to me specifically but she’s persuasive, that one.
I’m also almost finished with Emily’s book and I’ll tell you about it soon too because it’s been great for the ‘rebuilding’ process.
And all those questions you’ve been emailing me?! If I haven’t answered yet, ask again in the comments section of this series and I’ll try my best to set the record straight.

Today’s tip for rebuilding:

Talk your sweetie pie into building you a fire on the back porch BEFORE you move in.   To make sure the evening goes smoothly, have the DirectTv guy there to hook up the tv the same day so that your children can watch Brady Bunch in the warm house.  As we sat by the fire listening to white caps crashing on the shore,  we reminisced about the last 9 months.  We can hardly believe that we are a week away from moving back home.   He even listened to my dreams about decorating the house and then he said, and I quote,  ”Toilets and sinks are all the decorations we need.  Let’s move in this place.”   He’s easy to please.

So, who else is on the ’31 DAYS’ bandwagon? Pick something and join us!

1 Nester October 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm

well YEEEE HAAAAAW!  I cannot wait, I’d like 3 posts a day from you for 31 days if possible!

2 Jenny@ADropintheBucket October 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Yahoo!  So glad you are joining in… You were my biggest inspiration to start blogging.  And now I am doing something alongside you.  So cool.   Can’t wait to see all the deets.

3 Southern Gal October 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Wow! I’m so excited you’re doing this.  Me?  Not so brave.  I’m definitely a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl, but 31 days just scares me.  Looking forward to your posts.

4 April October 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Eddie!  I’m excited you’re joining The Nester’s 31 Days.  I’m so happy to know your family will be settled again.  Can’t wait to hear what you have planned for your home.

5 Susan October 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for doing this. We have all followed this process and would love to hear more!

6 Deb Martell October 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Looking forward to this!!  And we definitely have the same toe polish :)

7 Candace October 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

oh i am so glad you are joining in!! i am attempting 31 days of prayer: for your children, with your children. i have loved seeing your house pics and look forward to hearing from you lots in October!! :)

8 MyCraftyHomeLife October 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m watching! By the way, I AM the DIY-er in my home

9 Judith October 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I’m so glad you’re doing the 31 days!  And I’m laughing because I decided to wing it and join in this morning too.  That Nester girl is *quite* persuasive!  OH!  And Happy Moving Week.  Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.  :)

10 Judith October 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hi Edie! I’m a new blogger and figured I’d come out of hiding to tell you that I’ve been praying for you and your family for the past few months. I am so excited for your move-in next week and all that is ahead of you.  Thank you for being vulnerable enough to share it with us. I’m looking forward to your series!

11 Barbie October 1, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I am so thankful you are joining the party!  I’ve been a follower of your blog for quite a while now.  And although I don’t often comment, you are truly an inspiration.  And your new home, BEAUTIFUL!  I cannot wait to follow you along in this series.

12 Ruth Emond October 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

31 Days of Edie~I am looking forward to every post.  I am praying for you and your family as you prepare to move home.  I am sure you are excited and anxious, busy and tired.  Thinking of you!!

Hugs,

13 Stacey29lincoln October 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm

“I’m a joiner. That’s just all there is to it.
And I fly by the seat of my pants so I decided THIS MORNING to do this.”  This made me laugh out loud!  So cute you are!

Love your topic and your sweet new blog home!  The stripes – horizontal are the bomb!

Can’t wait!

P.S. I homeschool by the seat of my pants!

14 Jessica @ This Blessed Life October 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm

me!  my series is “31 days to a cleaner diet.”  i’m breaking down how to eat healthier into easy, manageable steps.  looking forward to yours!!

15 Anonymous October 1, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh Edie, I’m so pleased to see you’ve joined and I really can’t wait to have 31 days of your words! Bring it on!

16 Glenda Childers October 1, 2011 at 11:31 pm

I love it that you just decided this morning. We are all so different and that is fun. I have been planning it since they first mentioned it. And I am probably not further ahead than you. :-) Look forward to reading more of your  adventures. Welcome home, this week.

Fondly,
Glenda
31 days of Christmas wonder

17 Faith Raider October 2, 2011 at 1:07 am

this sounds wonderful!! I’m doing “31 days of inspiring photography” maybe a little less original than some of the other 31 day-ers but I’ve enjoyed this a ton already!!

18 Kristen October 2, 2011 at 2:07 am

Wow! I’m impressed with your spontaneity! I’m glad you’re joining in. I’m writing about 31 days to Joyfully Thrive. Blessings with your big move back home!

19 Trina October 2, 2011 at 2:07 am

Okay, twist my arm.
I’m in.

I look forward to reading all your posts. All 31 of them. (This is me keeping you accountable and in turn keeping myself accountable. There’s something about saying it out loud that makes me want to commit to this. Have a wonderful week of transition!!

20 jennibell October 2, 2011 at 3:40 am

Thank you for committing to this.  I know your time is limited, but your wisdom is deep and appreciated!  Yes, a fire and the simplicity of only having toilets and sinks (and DirectTV — ha!). . .not a bad way to spend an evening :)
And now that you’ve alerted me to this 31 Days challenge I’ve spent the last four hours (gasp!) going through other posts, bookmarking, pinning. . .ah, well, they were hours I wasn’t taking away from family. . .just taking away from sleep.  Happy October!

21 teresa October 2, 2011 at 4:20 am

Looking forward to reading every posts….you are the best

22 Anonymous October 2, 2011 at 5:16 am

Michele is here, library representing! Do I see a band-aid on your toe? Is it move or clog related? Loving and looking forward to your 31 Days.

xoxo michele

23 edie wadsworth October 2, 2011 at 10:07 am

you make me laugh so hard this morning michele!!!
it’s move related. but flip flop season may be coming to a screeching halt–the fall air is crisp. xoxo

24 Anonymous October 2, 2011 at 5:16 am

xoxo michele

25 Ami M. Davis October 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Fire in the fireplace + quilt = perfection, assuming you had a mug of yummy coffee in hand!

26 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D October 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm

”Toilets and sinks are all the decorations we need.  Let’s move in this place.”
My husband would so say this, too!

Dana
(On the bandwagon…with
“31 Days – 31 Minutes to a More Organized Life.”)