31 Days|Day 14 With the End in Mind

by Edie Wadsworth on October 14, 2011

This post is part of series called “31 Days to Rebuild Your House and Heart” and I’m writing it to chronicle our rebuilding process after we lost everything in a house fire last December. You can start here and read the whole series. Thanks for visiting!
Next week, we’ll delve into the details of plumbing, electrical, exterior, flooring, lighting, cabinets, countertops, etc.

But if there’s one thing I learned in this process, it’s to begin with the end in mind.

Think hard and long about how you want your house to serve you and others.

Where do you want to gather?  How much seating do you need?

Where will you place the lighting?  Will there be a fireplace?  What kind?  Where?

All these things must be decided up front and before you even have a clear vision yourself of how your house will *live*.

Collect plenty of inspiration.  More than you think you need.  Be willing to be flexible.

But cling tightly to the things that you really want—like a tall mantel with sconces and bookshelf built-ins with bookshelf lights.

Look close because I’m a little like the Nester and you may never see this exact arrangement again.

***********

The yellow thrift store chair cleaned up nicely and I may procrastinate having it recovered.

I kinda like it in its 1970′s goodness.   The terry cloth could come in handy if you came in wet from the lake?!  Right next to the Horchow ikat benches too.

It’s perfectly outrageous :)

1 Joy Ellis October 14, 2011 at 11:37 pm

The yellow chair is beautiful sitting next to the gorgeous fireplace and bookshelves!

2 Cath October 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Edie, it’s so great to hear joy in your post.
I’m happy the end is in sight for you, I can’t imagine how your mind has been spinning with all these decisions.

3 Ruth Emond October 14, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I love it all.  The fireplace and mantle are gorgeous.  The yellow chair looks amazing without even being upholstered.  Looks like it’s home.  The benches look so incredible comfy.  Of course, the built ins are dreamy.  What a beautiful place to curl up and read or lounge.

4 Maggie October 15, 2011 at 12:33 am

OMG!!!!! Girl!!!!!! You are going to get that house done by the 22nd!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!! I can’t wait to see it!!!!! Video Video!!!!!!!

5 Maggie October 15, 2011 at 12:33 am

6 Alima October 15, 2011 at 12:38 am

It looks awesome! Love those ikat benches.
And I must say that I am really enjoying you posting everyday!! I know I will always have something great to read in the evenings once the baby is down and I have a little me time :)

7 jennibell October 15, 2011 at 3:27 am

Wow.  There are just no words. . .so glad you joined this challenge so we can hear from you everyday :)  You must be a mad woman, getting everything into place while still taking care of your family. . .and that chair looks right at home.  You have an eye, Friend, you have an eye.

8 patty October 15, 2011 at 6:03 am

i canNOT believe you have that owl. i have {2}. :) i am a good starter of projects, but not a good finisher and i usually change my mind a million times before i’m done, so it’s hard for me to have the end in mind, but you are right. we think we love that bookcase/chair/table, but if it doesn’t work with the ultimate goal in mind… it’s not a great idea. that’s how i kept myself from buying 2 bookcases yesterday, anyway.
and the comment thingy is working, but i will not say i love mullets. not out loud, anyway. ;)

9 Lisa October 15, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love how eclectic and interesting and fun your decorating sensibilities are!  Your spaces are always so ….. happy!  How could someone be in a bad mood ’round there?
It’s so wonderful to see this all unfolding for you – I’m so glad for you and your family.  Hope you’re enjoying nesting in your new pad!

10 Southern Gal October 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

It’s so pretty!  I love how you were able to pick up a thrift chair and sit it right in your room with just a clean up.  Impressive.
Can you come thrift with me?  Can you figure out what I like first?  Thank you.

11 FlowerPatchFarmgirl October 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Step AWAY from the goldenrod chair!

It is perfection.

I totally forgot that you thrifted it when I first saw the pic and totally thought it was high-end.

I dragged a dustry orange velvet chair home from the Old Lady sale at our church with the intentions of recovering it. And then I feel in love.

12 Elizabeth Highsmith October 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm

1970 called she said she likes your chair and your sense of outrage-it’s terrific!!! love the pink on the gold-also love turquoise on gold put it in the bank for the next time the itch catches you! can’t wait to see all of your arrangements and creations!

13 Kathryn Griffin October 15, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Love the benches and the molding on the mantle!  Sigh!  Toodles, Kathryn

14 Vicki Wingo October 16, 2011 at 2:40 am

Love the picture.  Please do NOT paint the brick.  I love it just the way it is!!!

15 Lynne October 30, 2011 at 10:32 am

I have to tell you that I’m kind of digging that gold thrift chair! Something about the color mixed with your stuff, it’s quirky and yet elegant in its own way! Btw, I just found your blog and think I’m in love!:-)