The Workroom Design Files

by Edie Wadsworth on June 20, 2011

I think this is my favorite design so far!! I’m so excited about this room. It’s a laundry room/craft room/office/schoolroom.
And I knew that since the girls and I would be spending alot of time in here, I wanted it to be functional and organized but without sacrificing beauty. I wanted to be inspired by the fabrics, the accessories, the furniture, the built-ins.   I used two of my favorite fabrics in this room—-

Imperial Trellis by Schumacher and Four Seasons Summer by Victoria Hagan.

Darlene has really outdone herself.

I am SO BLESSED to know her and to be able to work with her.

She makes every step of the process fun and easy.

We started with several inspiration photos but these two were the ones we kept coming back to when we were unsure what direction to take the room. You can visit my Pinterest site to see lots more inspiration.
The concept of a multifunctional room like this has become very popular over the past few years.    I hope it proves to be as valuable to me as it seems like it will.

I’m not sure where the previous one is from but the pic below is from LonnyMag.com

One of the things Darlene did for me on was sketch drawings for the built-ins. I took them to the cabinet maker last week and he thinks he’ll be able to come pretty close to her ideas.    These are invaluable to me and have helped so much with lighting placement.
Here’s the basic floor plan of this small (12 x 12ish) room.

One of my favorite features of this room is ‘my’ wall—which is shown above with a sliding library ladder.   My set up will be very similar to this picture.

My desk won’t be built in but will slide right into the space very snugly.    My cabinet maker has done several library ladders so I can’t wait to see how this wall turns out.

We chose conch shell pink for the walls,  revere pewter for the built-ins, and azure water for the backs of the bookcases, all by Benjamin Moore.    And when I say ‘we’ I mean Darlene, who has a perfect eye for color.   The revere pewter is THE most perfect shade of putty that I have ever seen.

The other wall sketches turned out great too.

Girls’ built in desk wall (on the front of the house with each desk under a window)

the craft wall—-

and the laundry wall—

So there you have it—–my favorite room in the house—–at least until the laundry piles up!

I can’t wait to get to work in this room :)

xo,

edie

1 Amy Avery June 21, 2011 at 7:36 am

Awesome workroom Edie! It is so peaceful ,and functional, and inspiational all at the same time! I know you and the girls are really going to enjoy this space. Looks like everything is moving right along. I am so tickled for y’all. In  no time at all you’ll be reciting french and poetry from those very walls! If only I could just be a fly on the wall.
xoxo
Amy

2 Ashley @ Vintage Prairie Girl June 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

This looks like it will be lots of fun!! What a creative space.

3 Ruth Emond June 21, 2011 at 11:28 am

Oh! Edie-this space is spectacular!! I love every inch of it. My favorite has to be your wall with the built ins and the library ladder. I love the colors and fabrics you’ve chosen. So happy and excited for you. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

4 Leanne June 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

This is fabulous…you will be looking for something to launder!! Amazing…can’t wait to see it all come together…..

5 Sarahslhome June 21, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Wow! Hey that’s not a work room. It’s too dreamy & pretty to be called a work room,  it’s a playroom for your mind. You will have to have a open house when you move in. I’d come! Enjoy it looks wonderful.

6 Anne Worthington June 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

I love it!  Looks so great, Edie.  Now I want a work/laundry/craft room too!

7 Richella at Imparting Grace June 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm

Oh, Edie, this is so much fun!  We’re getting to see, right before our very eyes, how God is restoring to you the years the locusts have eaten.  You are going to be the envy of everyone with this room, girl!  I’m so happy for you.

8 Jen Schmidt June 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Sigh, Sigh….I’m just basking in it through you. I might actually get crafting in a place like that. :)

Jen http://www.beautyandbedlam.com

9 SandyToes June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Ooh la la – very nice.

10 SandyToes June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Ooh la la – very nice.

11 {darlene} June 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

thank you, sweet dear, for this amazingly sweet and kind post!!! I cannot wait to see this room come to fruition. I love what Richella wrote about how we are witnessing God’s restoration. May He bless you and your family in ways unimaginable. Love you!!

12 Brookelee13 June 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

LOVE IT!

13 Kjjoyner June 21, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Fabulous! Love the library ladder! Can you share the dimensions of the room?  I am looking at changing around a house plan now to include a desk space in the laundry room. I’m curious as to how much space you are working with. Love the hardy boy btw!

14 allyugadawg June 21, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I would park my mattress in this room & never leave. How. Freakin. COOL!!! Love everything about it, especially the built-ins & that black & white floor. The color just screams fun & creativity. Also, my dream job is to be a color namer, but i fear i’d never come up with such darling names as Azure Blue and Conch Shell Pink. Enjoy it Edie, you deserve it!

15 Nish June 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I’m so excited for you, Edie. What a beautiful space you’re creating! I can’t wait to see the magic that comes out of that room. :)

16 Alima June 23, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Is that a wrapping paper station on your craft storage wall? I am so jealous!!!! I’ve been wanting one of those for years! Your house is coming along so beautifully! I can’t wait to see everything once it’s finished!

17 Dez199 June 24, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hi Edie , I am loving Palladian Blue from Ben Moore ,  I am painting my ceiling that color and found a kindred spirit who is doing the same , her blog is just delish!

Also  I too have the bamboo inspired chandelier that you have in yellow in my decor faves folder! We too decor spirits!

18 Southern Gal July 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I really don’t know how I missed this, but I did.  Your multi-purpose room is ah-may-zing.  That’s all.

19 Playingsublimely July 31, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I am so excited to see your wall!  I have always loved that picture, I first saw it I think over at Tara’s blog (between you and me)…one of my fav’s.  I have contemplated how to work it in somwhere here in one of my rooms.  Cant wait to see the finished project.  Love to you…
Amy

20 Beth Morrow November 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Wow…are you sure you are a physician and not a decorator? Your drawings are awesome! I could have so followed that and I’m sure your contractors were so happy to see something so well planned/thought out! Love the room! Just started following you so I missed the fire, but please tell me that beautiful kitchen w the crystal chandelier is not the burned up:(
BTW, I am a decorator and my drawing don’t usually look that good!