Confessions of a Bibliophile

I bought this sign from My Sweet Savannah a few months back for our anniversary. It’s traveled a bit around the house and finally landed over our bed. I enjoyed it as I sat for long stretches of time and read this weekend. I’m reading The True End of Civil Government by John Locke and a wonderful historical novel by Geraldine Brooks titled March. The latter is the story of Mr. March, the father of the characters of Little Women. Brooks is a fascinating writer and the book is oozing with historical detail about the Civil War and the antebellum South. I would add it to a must read list. However, if you saw my most recent Amazon order, you might be suspect of my reading list advice. Here are a few of the titles:

How to Read Literature Like a Professor
Galileo’s Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems
Isaac Newton’s The Principia
Mortimer Adler’s How to Think About the Great Ideas of Western Civilization

It’s confirmed. I’m a bit nerdy. With an uncanny love for words.
Be they in a book or on the wall.
Or almost anywhere at all.

Happy Monday!

• Melissa Stover says:

i want to add some words to my walls.

my book list is not quite as deep as yours. yours reveals a studious mind.

• Stephanie says:

Edie, I just picked up "March" a few weeks ago at a yard sale. I haven't started it yet, but it's on my nightstand ready to go.

• patty says:

i wish i was as disciplined as you… alas, i am distracted by books narrated by dogs and speaking to car racing…hm. that, and j.crew catalogs… :)

• Denise says:

Yeah, probably not going to order any of those. :) Now Patty's J.Crew catalog recommendation has my attention.

• do it yourselfer says:

wow…my mind is in the trash compared to your book list. I have a series of vampire novels and i just got a Wayne Jacobsen book called Authentic Relationships. hope homeschooling is going well.

• Darla says:

yep, you are a bit nerdy! haha, but that's ok. you have great style that makes up for it! lol.

• Lemonade Makin' Mama says:

Hi I am new to your blog- it's wonderful and full of great stuff!

• Catherine Anne says:

We have word walls as well! Its warm and arty! Love it!

• Renee says:

I know you closed comments on your next post. But I wanted to thank you for your beautiful, vulnerable words. I have not been divorced, but I have certainly reaped painful effects from my sin. And I appreciated your emphasis on how that pain and ugliness makes the work of Christ so much more beautiful. It gives me such excitement and hope for my life. Even though I know pain from within or without is always lurking. Thanks so much!

• The Harper Family says:

I just found your blog today and I want you to know I am sitting here sobbing like a baby. I feel for the very first time ever that someone else understands what my kids go through…that someone else understands me and the way I feel about it. I know it is closed comments but I thank you so deeply for opening up your heart and being so honest. It helped me in ways you will never know!!!