The Real Enchilada

I decided to join in on Ann’s Food on Friday’s party and show you my
Beef Enchiladas.  You must try this recipe.  Your family will crown
you with many crowns.   And rise up and call you blessed.
You can start how you like, but I’m gonna slice a little piece of this homeade
Jalapeno Cheddar Sourdough Bread that I made from
my sourdough starter.  Grab a piece and let’s get started.

Photobucket
First, brown about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef with 1/2 pound of pork sausage.   I start every ‘beef’ dish this way.  And Stevie says, “You know it’s gonna be a good day when you leave for work and beef is browning on the stove”.  Yes, you do.
Photobucket
Next, we’re gonna make a roux. Making a roux is essential to nearly everything I cook, so don’t let me lose you yet. Melt a stick of butter in a large pot, then add 3 drizzles of olive oil. Sorry for the inexactness but that’s just how I cook. Then add equal parts flour. So, I’d probably add a little over 1/2 cup since we’re using 1/2 c. butter. Cook that for about a minute until the flour starts to brown. You just made a roux.
Photobucket
Add to the roux the following items: a few generous shakes of Worchestershire sauce, 2 T. cumin powder, 2 heaping T. of garlic and herb seasoning (I buy mine at Sam’s and it’s salt free…I use it in EVERYTHING), salt, pepper, 1/2 t. dried red pepper, 1/2c. chicken or beef stock, 2c. milk and stir.  Then add the cheese.  I buy the cheese I’ve shown below.  It works best for queso dip and for my beef enchilada soup (which is this same recipe with a lot more stock and milk)  and for this.  I buy one block with jalapenos and one without….but if you like a lot of heat, get both with.  I chop the cheese up into blocks and then add it in and let it melt.
Photobucket
I then add a can of black beans, 1 small bag of frozen corn that I’ve thawed in the microwave, and a can of drained diced tomatoes.  Drain the black beans too, BTW.  Then finish it with a generous tablespoon or two of honey.  I add honey to everything I make as well.  It balances the flavors nicely.  Now taste it. It may need more salt, cumin, heat (red pepper), garlic.  I always end up adding a little more of this and that at the end.
Photobucket
Then take your flour tortillas generously fill them with the beef mixture. I use regular burrito-size ones and it usually takes 1 1/2 packages of them. I just keep making them until the beef runs out and usually I have enough to share with another family.  I keep those aluminum containers on hand so that if I take food to someone else, they don’t have to bother with returning anything.  Then I spoon a little of the mixture on top of the enchiladas and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Serve with chopped cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, and salsa.
Photobucket
The dog will sit at your feet and beg…..
Photobucket
The children will come runnin’ and invite friends…..(We were glad you joined us for dinner, Morgan)
Photobucket
Photobucket
And if you’re feeling overly ambitious and naughty, you can make this Chocolate Chip Pound Cake that I made yesterday. A sure sign you’ve thrown in the towel on your resolutions. Enjoy!
Photobucket

And I know what you’re thinking, it was supposed to be beef stew. Well what if I want to do a video tutorial? Give me some time. And a Food Network kitchen.  And stay tuned this weekend for more on the laundry room. God bless you all for your most encouraging comments. We are all doing much better!  You’re the best blogger friends a girl could ask for.

BTW, I do love stretch, but it’s take a little longer because I have to resize the photos everytime … and then it’s does funky jazz like this…where the pics are sometimes ginormous and sometimes tiny.  Don’t say it…..operator error.  I know I know.

27 Comments

• Carrie says:

wow it looks so good!

• Mandi says:

Edie it is not even 8 am and you are making me want an enchilada for breakfast! Do What?

Love love love the stretch! Pictures look awesome!

• Sandy Toes says:

Wow…those enchiladas look very yummy even at 8 am!
    -sandy toe

• Meme says:

I am giving you several crowns for this meal, and I didn’t even get to taste it! I will be making this for superbowl sunday – thanks for the pictures/tutorial!!

Love the stretched blog with the big photos – love it!

• Jen - Balancing beauty and bedlam says:

Oh yes….one of our favorites…off to put queso cheese on the shopping list. :)

• patty says:

top o’ the mornin’ to ya, edie! love the photos-the one of your sweet baby (who-gulp-is not really a baby anymore!) from yesterday and of the puppy today… we need to do a snap-happy day…ya know, just walk around somewhere and take lotsa photos… maybe in the spring when the flowers are out at some park? anyway, have a great day!
    p

• LuLu says:

Yep, I am making it and now I’m hungry… and the cake, just what I want this morning I am still so tired.
    LuLu

• Molly says:

Oh gees!!!! Now I want Mexi for breakfast HEHE. Thanks for the recipe I will be making that this weekend. Have a fabulous weekend!!!!!!!
    ~Molly P

• gina says:

sounds yummy. you should link to it at whereverforever.com ‘s tasy tuesdays too!

• Kelly says:

Oh yum! We’ll be trying this one soon:-)

• Musings of a Homeschooling Mom says:

Those look DELICOUS!!! I’ve never seen that queso cheese. Is it a white cheese? I’ve been looking forever for a cheese similar to what our local mexican restaurants use and I have failed to find it. If I could find that, there’d be no reason to go back to the restaurants! Could you share your sourdough jalepeno cheddar bread recipe? Thank you for this recipe!

• Songbirdtiff says:

Hi there! I’m following Mr. Linky from the Inspired room. Your meal looks scrumptious!

• Amber says:

Mylanta! It’s like a Yummy Pretty Party at your house.

I want to come over.

• Dana and Daisy says:

the eatin’ is good at your house! thanks for the recipe!

• Melissa @ The Inspired Room says:

YUM.

Your home must be the best place to eat ever!!! You make me want to cook something yummy today.

blessings,
    Melissa

• Ann says:

Set the table for six more and round up some chairs, because the Kroekers are totally coming over to eat that food, pet that sweet dog, and gobble up that cake!

Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays in such a delightful post!

• Hi! I'm Kirsten... says:

YUM!!!!!!! Edie, you are a blessing straight from Heaven. I was wondering what to make for dinner tonight and while I felt like Mexican there wasn’t anything that fit in my recipes.

I’ll let ya know how it turns out :-)

• Homekeeping Heart says:

Skipped over from The Inspired Room.

Your enchilada look really yummy!

• Jessica says:

That cake looks incredible, my mouth is watering and my stomach is seriously growling! Now stop all the painting nonsense and give me some comment love, my blog misses you. You’re like my thinner, prettier and much wiser, big sis. :) Can’t wait to see the finished laundry room.

• Kim @ Forever Wherever says:

You did a great job with the photos! It sounds wonderful! We have a Tasty Tuesday blog party…come on by one day! It sure looks like you know how to cook! :-)
    -Kim

• Vintagesquirrel says:

We always make chicken enchiladas, but I think beef ones might be a good change. I made a similar chocolate-chocolate chip bundt cake for my boys just yesterday.
    Yummy!

• Astrid says:

Oh man…does that EVER look SOOO good! I want me some of that!!!

• Kim @ Forever Wherever says:

Thanks for joining the party! You brought our kind of food!
    -Kim

• Jerralea says:

Thanks for sharing this. It looks so yummy and I love the idea it makes enough to share.

• lena says:

Thanks for sharing. My eldest daughter (14 yrs) made a variation of your enchiladas for dinner tonight. She did not use corn or honey. She used ground turkey, 1 can of Rotel, and Tillamock Mexican blend cheese. She was a little nervous about cooking w/o measurements and the roux scared her a bit. She managed and it was divine.
    Pax – Lena