7 sure fire ways to decipher whether or not you need a new printer:
1. The printer that you got ‘free’ with your computer now ‘feeds’ the paper in crooked and causes a paper jam with EVERY try at printing. Despite this obvious fact, you try it no less than 37 times. Crooked again……Hmmm, maybe if I just gingerly readjust the paper and try it again…..Hmmmmmm- how about if I turn the paper upside down, or get a new stack of paper all together…..or stare at it really hard…..or smack the top of it like a wayward coke machine….
Nope, still crooked.
An hour later..
…maybe now it’s had time to rethink things…..
2. You ask at least 10 moms and 1 ‘computerish-looking’ guy and they all commence with their ‘printer’ stories……about how once they show the first sign of incompetence, you gotta get a new one…..’cause they’re never the same again. Wow, you people are unforgiving.
3. You are stalled from RUNNING to Office Max by one mom/adminstrative assistant/user of printers person (Denise) who asks you if you gave it a good shake?. Apparently the last time hers went on the ‘blink’ it was a piece of popcorn. Like the good technical-computer-savvy person that you are……the first chance you get, you turn it upside down and give it a good shake. This has sadly not fixed the ‘tick’ you’re printer seems to have either….and you could swear that you almost heard the thing ‘moan’ during the shake-down.
4. You just bought 2 new sets of ink for the ‘affected’ printer. Of course you need a new printer NOW.
5. The only IT person you know has had 4 printers in the last 6 years.
6. Your life as a homeschooling mom comes to a screeching halt without a printer. Your two small children are sure that it can be fixed…..even if it takes a week or so. It’ll be a sacrifice, but somehow, they’ll manage.
7. You spend no less than 2 hours ‘tinkering’ with the blasted thing. Now it makes a really sad screeching noise along with the crooked paper feed. It was broken before…..it’s in agony now.
So tell me your printer stories…….reassure me that I need a new one…..and please, make recommendations. I need to know I’m not alone……and what do ya think about the epson artisan 800……I know, I know…..it’s the one the Nester has. But it’s on BIG sale at Office Max this week.
I know there’s gonna be the one lone person out there, whose closets are clean and who never touches her paper work more than once who says, “No, I’ve had the same printer for 10 years……and ya know as long as you service it regularly and change the ^%$^%$ often and don’t let your kids touch it and keep it in a dust free, well-ventilated environment, I really don’t see why you should have trouble. ” Go ahead, declare yourself. I know your out there. Sue? Gina? LeighAnn? Don’t be shy.
*And I’ve got ink….so, if you have a Canon MP610 printer—let me know!*
Sandy Toes says
Sorry to hear about the printer..I do not have that type of printer. Not to good at fixing things!!! Hope you get it working..that is frustrating!
printers are frustrating buggers aren’t they?! I have no recommendations because ours is relatively old (for a printer). I keep telling my husband I want an old dot matrix printer, they never jammed!
Well, I don’t have good luck with printers but, I do have one now that is a printer, scanner, printer all in one. I don’t think I will ever go back to a regular printer. I do know in my expereince that the HP’s use a LOT of ink. I have had my best luck with Lexmarks. Hope that helps.
well, if it helps matters any, i am a photographer and my printer hasn’t worked for over a year! i gave up on them.
but i guess you probably need yours for homeschoolin’ stuff huh?
good luck on finding one that will keep working! 😉
Musings of a Homeschooling Mom says
I’m sorry to hear about the printer! I have a husband that wants a new one every time we run out of ink! I gave in this time, but only because he was claiming it would make life so much easier if we had a wireless one and could print from any computer, including the laptop. He just bought a new one Saturday. I’m hoping it lasts for years!
Hi! I'm Kirsten... says
LOL!!! This sounds like many a struggle I’ve encountered with the dozens of printers I have had in my lifetime.
Are any of the cartridges # 41 or 52?
Hi! I'm Kirsten... says
Oh, if you weren’t so far away: I would send my husband to help you. He’s a wiz at all things electronic [including printers] and loves to help people for free and has helped many people buy the right printers or fix those that were on the fritz.
Oh my gosh it sounded just like you were talking about my printer and the two before that. And one of them was barely a year old and was hardly ever used by big or little hands… Its a printer thing. Go buy a new one.. I’ve tried the shakin’ and the whackin’ and starin’ at it.. it doesn’t do any good. But good luck trying though.
Everything is disposable to me- I never have the time to try and fix anything (much to the despair of my greeener older two daughters)- so my vote is NEW PRINTER. Can you return the ink? Did you save the receipt?
Well that stinks Edie! I hate it when the printer acts up! Mine is a photo printer and every time I try to print PHOTOS, I get a yellowish ugly line at the bottom of every picture!!! Chaps my butt, I tell ya! Hope you get a new one soon! xo Keli
Chaps my butt!- That is a hilarious line Keli!!! Sorry I’m no help- although I do remember the popcorn trick. Mine is so temperamental that I hold my breath every time I hit “print” and just wait to see if it works or not.
Oh Edie, how I’ve missed you! 🙂
Printers suck! And I don’t use that wordly lightly or in front of my children, but there you have it!
We just bought the new all-in-one wireless printer, scanner, fax-er thingy and I, like Kelly, close my eyes, hold my breath, and wait for it to just do something…. anything. Good luck my frind! xoxox Ang
Mc Allen says
aww, thats to bad! I homeschool too and I totally know what you mean! I really hope its all fixed or replaced very soon! LA
I’m surprised at all your comments! I’ve never had a printer not work for me–except when it was eating the piece of popcorn and the pencil. I really can’t relate to your problems. *wink* Honestly, I’ve had really good luck with my printers, Lexmarks and Dells. Now that I’ve said that, I’m pretty nervous. I’ve only been able to gripe about the cost of ink–perhaps the biggest rip off out there.
carissa... brown eyed fox says
i am FINALLY getting to jump into your site!
btw… before i forget… you need to pick out a treat from the shop! 🙂 yeah! you guessed right on… thanks so much for playing along!
oh… i hope there is something you will like! Pick anything in the wear it or buckle it category… what you want!
I will be tickled to pieces to sent it to you! 🙂 i will need is your address too!
and girlfriend… you will not hurt my feelings if you do not see anything you like… i’ll send you a gift certificate at a fun shop.
oh and printers… why IS that ink so darn expensive! 🙂 it’s ink!
i sure hope it gets it’s act together fast!
woooooooaaaahhhhhhhh whats with everyone in tennessee bloggin up a storm!?>!and how did this site know my name!!!! well anyway har har printers are a sad bunch … just know what features youll want aaand if youre planning on ordering onlines -though i can see you might not want to wait for shipping- you should go to the only place in the whole world!.. wide web to buy anything!..with wires ..or you could use it as a source of reviews for an in store purchase….
i see that thar room for thems books lernins lookin mighty fine
-the little boysworth