Crushing on Lewis

by Edie Wadsworth on February 2, 2012

I read The Great Divorce this weekend for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time.   Lewis dreams that he dies and takes the bus trip to heaven.  When he gets there, all the people from earth look likes ghosts compared to the people who’ve been in heaven.  Apparently, sanctification, becoming a real person—-that can or would want to—-stay in heaven, takes a while and is painful.     C.S. Lewis never ceases to amaze me. And this little book will leave you reeling.    All weekend long I made Stevie listen to the brilliance by quoting one amazing passage after another. Guess what he’s reading now? We do this to each other all the time.

You really should read it.

xoxo,
edie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Julie February 2, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Yep, pinning this.

2 Veronica Hill February 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Agreed – Lewis’ writing is amazing. Each time I read something of his (no matter how many times I have read it before) I am amazed :) ALSO, I love the font you picked for the quote!

3 Michelle Starling February 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I have been wanting to attempt this book again.  I tried to read it years ago but it was a hard read.  Maybe now I’m ready for it.  I too love Lewis and my children love him also.

4 Becky Johnson February 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Oh Edie, The Great Divorce is the Lewis book I recommend most! I love how he pictures people getting further away from each other and more alone as a form of hell. I love pondering how the spiritual realm is more real than the earthly one- the things we can see and touch. The perspective gained from this read is incalculable. And I love that another fav of mine, George MacDonald, makes an appearance. (Have you read him? You and your girls must read The Wise Woman if you haven’t yet. I did a write up on my blog under the Favorite Things tab.)

5 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:58 am

Hi Becky!
We’ve owned Wise Woman forever but just started it this week from your inspiration.  What a great story!  I’ve been trying to read McDonalds’ Phantastes forever but still haven’t made it through.  He’s an amazing thinker/storyteller!
Now off to check out your blog! :)

6 Anonymous February 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh, I’m pinning it.

Then I’m reading it.

7 Anonymous February 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Oh, I’m pinning it.

Then I’m reading it.

8 Michelle February 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

My (now) husband introduced me to ‘The Great Divorce’ while we were dating. I think that’s part of the reason I married him. Ironic, no? :)

9 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:56 am

oh he’s a keeper for sure michelle! :)

10 Mimi February 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm

That quote is powerful….I’m definitely adding this book to our (me and hubs) reading list. My boys and I just read a biography about CS Lewis’s childhood. It was really neat to learn what led him to write and how he liked to spend his days as a child. Thanks for sharing this, Edie.

11 Decortoadore February 2, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Our family experienced a great tradgedy in December. Since then it has been a trickle down effect of trials. Everyday we have to renew our vow to remain faithful to Him.
I so needed to read this quote today.
We remain steadfast in our beliefs that He desires what is best for us even though it is at times incredibly painful and difficult and right now, we can’t see the good. But faith tells us it is there.

12 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:56 am

“The Lord bless and keep you.  The Lord make His face to shine upon and be gracious unto you.  The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.”
Many blessings,
edie

13 Maureen@Loving This Life February 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Never read this before but I am intrigued after reading this teaser!  I’m checking the library today.  :)

14 Marie Wreath February 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Wonderful, succinct, convincing book review. I’m adding it to my goodreads list pronto. (Beautiful quotation art too!!) Happy weekend to you guys. xo

15 Robyn Quintana February 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I was so hoping the “Lewis” in your title was really C.S. Lewis!  YEAH! I have not read this one so it’s now on my list.  Thank you!

16 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:55 am

you’ll be so glad you did robyn! :)

17 Charming's Mama February 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I have read it and love it and now I think it might be time to read it again.

18 Kendall February 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I am a new reader.  Love your blog.  Thank you for your encouragement.
I read this book recently and it has become a favorite too!
Over Christmas I read C.S. Lewis’ Letters to Children.  I highly recommend!  It was a sweet read…teared up reading a few of the letters.
Have a great day!

19 Kendall February 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I am a new reader.  Love your blog.  Thank you for your encouragement.
I read this book recently and it has become a favorite too!
Have a great day!

20 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:54 am

I haven’t read that one Kendall so I’ll definitely add it to my Amazon list.  Thanks so much for sharing and welcome to my crazy world :)

21 Cuppakim February 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

amen. reading job 1 and romans 5 this morning, followed by this. the Lord encourages like crazy. amidst the hurt.

22 Cuppakim February 2, 2012 at 5:18 pm

23 Kathleen Jaeger February 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Okay…love this quote…I have attempted this book once or twice…you’ve inspired me to try again, especially because I love so much C.S. Lewis. Many of his I have read over and over again.

I love how you & your husband inspire you to read to each other. Lovely.

24 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:52 am

Don’t give up Kathleen.  He’s so worth the work it takes to get through his brilliant but complex writing!  I feel the same way about George McDonald. I’ve been trying to finish his book Phantastes for 4 years now :)

25 Laura Wifler February 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Hi Edie, Love this book and love the quote – thanks for sharing – I read your blog everyday!

26 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:51 am

thanks so much laura!
xo :)

27 Tara February 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

okay…I’m adding it to my list. :)

28 Ruth Emond February 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I am adding this to my must read list right now. I am always amazed by how much reading you do. Right now I amreading The Screwtape Letters. Have you read this yet?
Most of my time has been consumed with training a new puppy, a very active terrier. Our husky has also been sick.

29 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:51 am

Yes, but not in a while Ruth.  Maybe I’ll get to it again this year.  A new puppy?!?!?!  Oh you’re brave dearie :)

30 Anne Worthington February 3, 2012 at 1:52 am

I know!  I took a C.S. Lewis course one summer during college, and we got to read lots of his stuff.  The parts about things being more solid and real in heaven really got me.  My grandfather passed away last week, so I’ve been wrestling with my own comprehension (or lack thereof) of heaven and what it’ll be like even more here recently.  I love how Lewis makes me long for it even more.  Thanks for reminding me that I should revisit this one.

31 Linsey @ LLH Designs February 3, 2012 at 2:44 am

He never ceases to amaze me either. My maiden name is Lewis, and I used to dream we were related! I love “The Screwtape Letters.” Just about every word he wrote makes me think!

32 Kika February 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Yes, I really like C.S. Lewis too. I recently bought a “signature classics” book with about 6 of his books included. I am currently reading Mere Christianity. I love the way he reasons through things; sometimes I feel like he articulates exactly what I’d been feeling but didn’t know how to express.

33 Joy February 3, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’ve never read this book but I really enjoy C.S. Lewis.  As soon as I saw this post, I went right over to Amazon and bought the kindle version.  I couldn’t stop reading it – I love how Lewis make you think about EVERY sentence he writes.  Thank you, Thank you for sharing this with us.
My husband doesn’t like to read much so I spent the evening reading the book to him and having great discussions about what this book meant – loving it!

34 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:49 am

It’s such a gem of a book!  So glad you downloaded it :)
xo

35 Alesha Sinks February 3, 2012 at 10:21 pm

This was such a good and challenging book!  I really enjoyed it when I read it about 2 years ago.  Thanks for sharing!
Alesha
tobless.blogspot.com

36 Jennifer February 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm

A great book.  There is a one man show of The Great Divorce that we saw a few yrs ago in Philly at the Lantern Theater. I just saw he is doing it again…Feb. 7 – 12 this next week in Philadelphia. He did all the parts and made it really interesting. Lewis really observed people and had a great way to communicate!
God bless…Jennifer aka Gigi http://www.lanterntheater.org/2012/greatdivorce.html

37 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:48 am

That would be so cool Jennifer!  Thanks for sharing :)

38 Gretchen February 4, 2012 at 1:57 am

He always nails it, doesn’t he? I love his intellectual honesty and how he can get under your skin and into your heart’s deepest thoughts just by saying things everyone thinks but that everyone thinks no “good Christian” should think.

Cute how you and Steve goad each other into reading via brilliant quotes. :)

39 edie wadsworth February 4, 2012 at 2:09 am

I just so happened to be reading your e-book! Great stuff and now I have so many questions for you. I need to kidnap your whole family for a day, let the kids run wild, the men drink Scotch and smoke pipes and then I could pick your brain about a whole host of subjects. You amaze me, friend! Hope y’all are having a great weekend :) Oh, and by the way, Stevie is now teasing me with quotes from The Weight of Glory. I’m sure I’ll be reading that one soon. xo,
edie

40 susan shull February 4, 2012 at 2:40 am

I am embarrassed to admit that I have never read a C.S. Lewis book, but he is on my list. Is this a good one to begin with, or would you suggest a different one to start with? Thanks, Edie, for the inspiration.

41 edie wadsworth February 6, 2012 at 2:47 am

Hi Susan!  I think I’d start with Mere Christianity first.  He can be difficult but just keep reading.   The 2nd or 5th time you read his works, you’ll be amazed at how much you missed the first few times.  He’s a master and inspires me more than almost anyone else!
Enjoy :)

42 {darlene} February 7, 2012 at 12:25 am

now it is on the list! thanks, girl!!!

43 April February 8, 2012 at 4:42 am

I love C.S. Lewis. I haven’t read The great Divorce, but it’s on my list to read-love that quote!

44 Heather February 8, 2012 at 5:22 am

Hi Edie!
Just came across your blog tonight. There isn’t any aspect of it that doesn’t fascinate me! What a great patch of Internet! To say that I love CS Lewis would be a drastic understatement. Or an inaccurate one? I have several of his books that I haven’t read yet. I’ve had them for years but I do ‘t want to rush it. I’m saving a couple of them for later years. Right now, as in this past decade, it’s all been about The Problem of Pain. It is magnificent. And heart wrenching. Thank you Lord for authors who have insight that I do not!

45 Lisa February 12, 2012 at 2:31 am

Wow. I love this quote.

46 Patty February 28, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Edie, I don’t know if you’ll get this comment as it is way after the fact. I just finished C.S. Lewis, The Great Divorce thanks to your recommendation. I found myself in more than one of the ghostly characters. It was a transforming read…thanks for recommending it. Patty

47 mildred lane December 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

I am glad u retired as a doctor secondary to u missing that I had cancer in the 4th stages,spent 40 days in the hospital,21 radiation treatments, numerous chemo and w/ the hand of God I survived.