Thanksgiving 2011

by Edie Wadsworth on November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving in the new house was perfect in every way!   The weather was mild enough that the young adults sat on the porch to eat and then enjoyed the fireplace afterwards. Caiti was a huge help this year and did lots of cooking and helping! (Thank you sissy)

I have the most wonderful family and am truly so blessed by them all!

Enjoy a few photos……
Grannie’s always in the kitchen cleaning up my mess!

We broke out the Thanksgiving ads after dinner but I totally wimped out on the midnight shopping run. My sister, on the other hand, is made of steel and shopped all night long. I’ve never been much of a black Friday shopper. I think I’ve been twice—both with my Iron Man sister—and I do love to go and drink coffee and people watch. But at midnight? At the Walmarts? That’d be enough to push me right over the edge  on which I’m always dangerously teetering.    We’re all better off if I sleep and then properly caffeinate before I’m allowed in public.

I did no shopping to speak of and no Christmas decorating.   We’re trying to embrace the church’s calendar more and more every year and today is the first day of Advent.   I posted on our Advent traditions here. We will slowly begin our decorating this week although I can’t find a spot in my living room anywhere to put a tree?!  I have, however, found a perfect spot on the screen porch!

On Saturday, I took the girls to the Moscow Ballet’s production of the Nutcracker.  Since they are performing in our local Nutcracker the week before Christmas (and my little Emme was chosen to play ‘Clara’), they literally sat on the edge of their seats and took in every detail.   We had  so much fun :)
And I close with this.  In lieu of post Thanksgiving regrets and new resolutions for working out,  I propose we all embrace the poncho.   It’s the “Don’t ask, don’t tell” garment  of fashion.

For all you know I had carrot sticks and water for Thanksgiving.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Hope your weekend was full to the brim!
xo,
edie

1 Sharon O November 28, 2011 at 12:19 am

love the poncho look, and the flower too.  So glad you had only carrots and water wouldn’t want to add an extra pound on. hahaha…

2 Katie November 28, 2011 at 12:41 am

Ha!  Love the poncho plan!

3 Tara November 28, 2011 at 12:42 am

love the boots you’re wearing and one of the girls on the porch reading sales papers has on cool boots, too. :)
can you tell I’m shopping for boots this season?
love the house..love the pics of the food…love that granny is always cleaning up in the kitchen….so does my mom.
love your desire to celebrate the church calendar.

4 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 3:02 am

thank you so much sweet tara.
i just saw some awesome frye boots on pinterest that make me weak in the knees.
i’m ALWAYS shopping for boots :)
those i’m wearing are from belk (bare trap) and are awesome, very comfy.
hope’s are from belk too i think but i didn’t see them there when i went last week.
hope your weekend was wonderful!
xoxo

5 Southern Gal November 28, 2011 at 1:34 am

I second your proposition!
Looks lovely.  All of it.

6 Julie November 28, 2011 at 1:59 am

I am in love with those boots, Edie!  Please do tell where you got them!

7 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 3:00 am

hey jules!
those are non-leathers from belk (bare trap).  just recently bought them and they had them in 3 or 4 colors.
they are amazingly comfortable with a small, perfect heel.  you definitely should get them!!
xo

8 17 Perth November 28, 2011 at 2:25 am

It looks like you guys had a great time! Your table is beautiful and I love the idea of eating outside and then enjoying that beautiful fireplace.  Great idea. Glad you guys had a great time.

9 Michelle Starling November 28, 2011 at 3:04 am

Great pics.  Looks like all had a great time.  My daughter is dancing in the Nutcracker also. This will be her second year.  This year she’s doing the Chinese. dance. Love reading all your posts.

10 Jendegeorge November 28, 2011 at 3:54 am

I would love to know where you got your red/white plates. They are so pretty! Especially since I have red accents throughout the public places. :)

11 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:58 am

those are from southern living at home—or now called ‘willow house’.   i think they  still have them.
blessings :)

12 Ruth Emond November 28, 2011 at 4:19 am

Dear sweet Edie-I missed your blog this week since I was offline. Hubby was on vacation, we had the wake and funeral for my mother-in-law, we hosted the largest group for Thanksgiving yet and then had my nephew’s birthday party on Saturday. It was a whirlwind of a week. Your Thanksgiving table looks gorgeous!! Love the idea for the dinner on the porch followed by a roaring fire. So glad that your family was home for Thanksgiving. Such a special blessing.
I have not started our Christmas decorating either. I need to refresh my memory on your Advent ideas.
Love the poncho idea. I will need to do the same this week in addition to quite a bit of working out and drinking water but that Thanksgiving meal was good

Well, this is long enough. Can you tell I haven’t had my fair dose of Edie this week?

Hugs,

13 Ruth Emond November 28, 2011 at 4:19 am

Hugs,

14 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:57 am

what a busy weekend ms. ruth.  glad  you made it through and pray for continued peace for your family.
much love!
xo

15 Molly Rigoloso November 28, 2011 at 8:33 am

Ha! I love you so. You rock that poncho, sister.

16 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:56 am

you sweet thing, you!
xo

17 FunkySteph November 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

You inspire me so much. I love your house, I love your blog… Your silver used for center pieces are on my list for XMas table decorations. Thanks for taking time to share all this on your blog. We don’t have Thanksgiving, here in Luxembourg, but I hope yours was fabulous!

18 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

what a sweet encouragement!!! you made my day :)

19 Lisa November 28, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Edie, Thanksgiving in your new house looks like it was warm and happy – so glad you could spend it there with your family!
I’m loving your non-traditional table with that colorful runner and dishes!  Love, love, love it.  Makes me want to throw a party!

20 Katie Lake November 28, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Is that the Tennessee Theater I spy behind you in the background? Color me jealous! I cannot explain how much I miss working on Gay Street and visiting such a gorgeous and historic building!

21 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

YES! we live about an hour from knoxville katie so we are lucky to enjoy the gay street beauty fairly often! i would definitely miss it! thanks for reading. :)

22 Ami Davis November 28, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I have those holiday edition Tom’s on my Christmas list!  So stylish.
I picked up a “nesting sweater” today thanks to the crazy discounts of Cyber Monday that serves much the same purpose as a poncho.
It’s dreamy and I highly recommend it.  Cyber Monday is my kind of shopping event, no crowds and you can shop in your PJs.

23 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:40 am

i love the name ‘nesting sweater’. i need one of those too.
and my girlies LOVE their Toms. Me, not so much?! I’m sending mine back—just don’t fit right or something. hope your weekend was peachy :)
xo

24 Ami Davis November 30, 2011 at 1:16 am

About the Tom’s- they do take 3-5 days of wear to break in, at least for me.  Mine are always way too tight when they arrive but around day 4, perfection.  But I would advise ordering a half size up on the wedges.
And the nesting sweater was 40% off.  I probably should have gotten 2 ..or maybe 3.  I love a good comfy sweater.

25 Jessica@runningtobeskinny.com November 28, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Oh that’s funny. I too had worn a poncho in some pics a few posts back, then I laughed because I was bragging about toning up…but who could tell with my horizontally striped poncho!?!? :) Love them though, they are comfy. Sounds like you had a dreamy Thanksgiving too. I took Soph to the Nutcracker on Saturday also and was SHOCKED that she sat on the edge of her seat the whole time. She doesn’t even do that at kid movies. Love ya friend! Have a fabulous week. Jess

26 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:45 am

well, great minds think alike! can i wear the poncho all summer? because i don’t seem to have the eye of the tiger like you, ma dear! so glad soph enjoyed the nutcracker—my girls are still talking about it :) much love jess!
xo

27 Kristin S November 29, 2011 at 2:35 am

2 things.

1.  LOVE the Coke Zero’s on the table.  Awesome.
2.  Those boots are amazing!  Do tell…

28 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 2:44 am

yes, super classy isn’t it? :)
and the boots? cheap(ish) non-leather boots from belk of the ‘baretrap’ variety! they are super comfy and perfect small but present heel!

29 Grannie1999 November 29, 2011 at 11:05 am

Love the poncho and I soooo hear you!

30 RNesin November 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I love that you’re sticking more closely to the Church calendar for Christmas.  For me, every year, it’s the tug and pull to participate in the joy and festivity that begin right after Thanksgiving, but I also know how greatly increased my joy is – and how much more I’ve focused on the wonder and glory of the Incarnation – when I have participated in the spiritual waiting.

We always leave town for Christmas, and I feel that, if we don’t get started, there will be no evidence of Christmas in my house, or for my children….and yet, and yet…..what about Advent??  Trying to make a workable schedule.  Maybe, decorate the tree the day before we leave town, and then, right after the kids get out of school, be packed and ready to go.  When we return home after Christmas day, we’d still have the tree until Epiphany?

My tendency is to complain out loud that 1) I don’t get to homeschool, which would solve all sorts of logistics, and 2)that we don’t at least sometimes have Christmas at home, so that we could do it ‘properly’, following Advent to completion.  But no, I refuse to complain out loud (can’t you tell? :)  Maybe just silently to blog folk who don’t know who I am.)

31 Nester November 30, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Edie.

It’s absolutely glorious.  Thought of you over Thanksgiving.  Love you friend.

32 Comeca Jones December 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

Cute boots Edie! Looks like a blessed time with family thanks for sharing it with us!

33 coastalpinesint December 2, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Beautiful family, beautiful home…you are blessed :)

34 rent villa javea December 5, 2011 at 6:09 am

Your post is very interesting.. I enjoyed being here.. I wish I could also get some time from my busy work schedule and do such party.. Hope to look forward in the future..