Bohemian (Rhapsody) Thanksgiving Tablescape

by Edie Wadsworth on November 20, 2011

I always host Thanksgiving for my family. I love hosting Thanksgiving. It’s one of my favorite days.
I’m scrambling this year because it dawned on me (2 days ago) that I don’t have all my serving platters anymore.
Or rather, it dawned on me  that I don’t have ANY serving platters anymore.  Blasted fire.
Nor do I have any china.    But whatever. I think I’ve decided that matching dishes are dead to me.
So, I’m mixing it up Bohemian Rhapsody style.  All colors are welcome to my dinner.   Patterns too.  Come one and all.

Beeeecaaaaause I’m easy come,  easy go. Little high, little low. Any way the wind blows, doesn’t really matter to meeeee, to me.

Wonder which will be harder?  Keeping this table in its’ current state of glory til Thursday or getting Bohemian Rhadsody lyrics out of your head and mine.

I see a little silhouetto of a man.  Scaramouche!  Scaramouche!  Will you do the fandango?

I think we have our answer.

I’m not finished yet but I am liking the general explosion of color. I don’t like labeling holidays with mandatory colors. Thanksgiving can be magenta and kelly green and cornflower blue if she wants to?! Who went and made brown the boss of Thanksgiving? I rebel. I return to Thanksgiving all the colors of April and June and September. I think Freddy would totally be with me on this one.

Back soon with an upstanding Thanksgiving post.  I knew this one was a goner when Queen popped into my head.

My profuse apologies. You should probably find a real blogger to follow now.
This may be the beginning of the end for me.

Here’s Freddy himself. Try watching it just once. I dare you.

mwahhhhhh!

1 Charming's Mama November 21, 2011 at 4:28 am

Hi Edie

On the post below about clearing your head you show us a screen shot that shows your Creamy Crock Pot chicken recipe.  Is that bone in chicken you are using?  And how does it hold up to the long cooking time?  Are you serving the whole breasts or cutting it into pieces and stirring it into the gravy then serving over the rice.  That looks like something simple I could do for supper tomorrow.

Toodles,
Charming’s Mama aka Sydney

2 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:58 am

i put the breasts and breast tenders in whole but then they kinda fall apart from being so tender (which we loved!)
no bones though.
it was wonderful :)

3 Ter'e November 21, 2011 at 4:52 am

Edie……………………this is so much more beautiful!!!!!  It’s like life.  Mixed up. Colorful. Quirkey. Gorgeous!  After seeing this …………matchy matchy is soooooooooo boring.  Your dinner will be divine………………………………..Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!

4 Createbellacreate November 21, 2011 at 6:40 am

Love all the colors, beautiful! :)  Matching is totally overrated….why stick to one color and pattern when you can have many awesome ones at the same time. :D

5 kathy November 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

YEAH! Who went and made brown the boss of Thansgiving anyway? We dotn take orders from that guy ;)

6 kathy November 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

7 LisaMarie H November 21, 2011 at 8:54 am

I adore that explosion of color!  I believe holidays are for enjoying our family and friends and what better way than to gather around a table YOU love?!  and gosh, Bohemian Rhapsody will be in my head for weeks girl! :P

8 Jessica Washburn November 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

I love it. I’m using more color than usual, but I think you have me beat!! :) Also, I have some blue plates like those that I adore, yet I haven’t been able to find them since we moved in May…so bummed! I probably accidentally dropped them at Goodwill. Crap! Are those tags the free one’s someone posted last year? I saved the template and was just about to print them for this years gifts…so cute! I love your table, hope all is well my friend.

BTW, today I’m starting a new series called “Motivate Me Monday” with my first guest post Camber…come check it out!

xoxo, Jess

runningtobeskinny.com

9 Southern Gal November 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I will definitely be singing that song in my head all.day.long.  But I’ll have that picture of your glorious table in my head, too.
I think it’s wonderful.  Something I should do since I have matching nothing around here.

10 ulli November 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Edie~~Love your Thanksgiving table–the colors are perfect. You certainly have a lot to be thankful for this year–as we all do! (Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong
to Christ Jesus. – 1 Th 5:18) Love Bohemian Rhapsody–and yes, it will be stuck in my head all day… Can you do the fandango?

11 Michelle Starling November 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh I like it.  Matching things are nice but to pull together unmatched things and have it look great is an art. A very pretty table.

12 Lrfamily November 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Love the colors of your table.  I stopped using matching dishes years ago when we lived in Belgium and I couldn’t decide on which pattern of Polish Pottery I wanted, so I bought one plate of each pattern. Because of you, however, I’m now digging the Anthropologie bowls and plan to add those to my collection. You should get a kickback from them.
Lisa

13 ail06 November 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

This table setting looks wonderful! super creative and shows that even though you don’t have platters you’re still thankful for what you still have. It’s a great celebration!

14 Jenn November 21, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Love that table! One of these days I’ll get to host Thanksgiving and shake things up a bit around here :) I’m the out-law rebel in this very traditional family I get sooooo tired of brown and orange every single year without any other colors. Ah well… it’s colorful at my house :) Maybe we’ll take our thankful tree over… hmm, now there’s a way to bring a pop of color in without being too obnoxious!

15 17 Perth November 21, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I think it is gorgeous!!! If I were your guest, I would be in awe at  your use of colors and patterns.  :)

16 Susan November 21, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love mixy-matchy dishes.  Oh, if you lived over here (in Zurich) we have awesome Brocki’s with platters galore – and all sorts of pretty dishes that don’t match.  You could even use fondue plates for Thanksgiving desserts.  I love your photos and can’t wait to see more about your Thanksgiving celebration.

17 Shayne November 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Beautiful table!
We’ll be together in spirit at Thanksgiving.  I’m a Fiestaware girl through and through, so all holidays are subject to a rampant mix and match of everyone’s favorite colors.  I personally believe that we’d all be a little better off if we added flamboyant color to our days.

18 Gretchen November 21, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I’ll probably have a similar mishmash of dishes since I’m hosting about 25 this year, but sadly, they will probably look more College than Bohemian.

19 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:57 am

i have eaten at your house before ms. gretchen and the last thing people will notice will be the dishes.
missed seeing you this week.
loves and hugs
xo

20 Lynda @ Happenstancehome November 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Love all the color.  I am not a follower of traditional color ideas either.  I think you should just use what you are feeling at the time!  From the looks of your table I’m thinking you will be enjoying a very happy Thanksgiving!

21 Anonymous November 21, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Edie,

Although you don’t know me from a hill of beans, I wanted you to know that you’ve changed my life!  Both in ‘trivial’ ways, like your love of colour and pattern, and in important ways, like dealing with all that life has thrown at you this year.

My house and my heart thank you.

Carol-Anne (Use the Good Dishes!)

22 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:56 am

you made my day carol-anne!  xoxoxo

23 Kelli Fox November 21, 2011 at 5:20 pm

hahaaaaaaaaaaaa – love this song, love freddy mercury, and love your table.  and i love your blog to and always will :P

24 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:56 am

well then, it’s settled.  we’re bfffs.   best freddy friends forever!
xo

25 Julie November 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I love your table decor!!!!  I want to come!!!  Happy Thanksgiving to you!

26 Asiyah November 21, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Must be the week for Queen…I included a video over the weekend on my blog.

I’m a total Bohemian. I don’t own one plate that has a twin, all of my dishes and serving plates are different and I love it that way.

27 Alittlecountryhouse November 21, 2011 at 7:44 pm

great table, I agree , Thanksgiving can be any color or all colors! You go!

28 Thereadysetgogirl November 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Just found your blog and I wanted you to know it’s beautiful, inspirational, and everything wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

29 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:55 am

awwww, thank you so much:)
and welcome to this crazy world-a-mine!

30 Jenna l Homeslice November 21, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I love all the color! I was just thinking about this today… Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be so dark!

31 Amanda November 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Please dearest Edie, don’t let this be the end.   ;)

32 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:54 am

you can never trust a woman who posts Queen singing Bohemian Rhapsody with her Thanksgiving table!
xo

33 Tara November 21, 2011 at 11:51 pm

I would not have expected anything different from you than a table full of color and all things eclectic…it is amazing.  I love all of it.
Will you ever replace your china or is matchy-matchy china seriously dead to you?
There were things that I never cared to replace when we lost things in our sewage explosion a few years back….isn’t it funny how much more sure we become of the things we truly love and appreciate when we lose all of it?

34 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:53 am

here’s where you already know me too well.
see, i loved my lenox solitaire platinum china and i will probably repurchase it.
and then i’ll have to eat my words about ‘dead-to-me-dishes’.
but my flair for the dramatic couldn’t help renouncing them.
mwahhhhh!  and happy thanksgiving :)

35 Toni Fleischmann November 22, 2011 at 1:33 am

Beautiful table….love that it breaks the rules…..even the forks being on the right rather than the left!

36 Toni Fleischmann November 22, 2011 at 1:33 am

37 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:51 am

oh that would be my neglect of all minutiae.   although i do love reading amy vanderbilt’s book of etiquette.  go figure!! :)

38 alima November 22, 2011 at 2:10 am

ha! you are so funny! :) I’m lovin all those patterns together! So fun! Brown is the color of poop! Who wants that on their table?! :)

39 beverly November 22, 2011 at 3:27 am

I doubt it you’ll have room, but you should have a place setting in memory of Freddy Mercury this year. I’ve been a Queen fan forever and he would definitley approve of your table. To me, it shows nothing more than sheer confidence and a huge helping of Joy and Thanksgiving.  My favorite post of yours is always your next one.

40 {darlene} November 22, 2011 at 3:45 am

blast you for getting that song in my head.
and how did you know that he was saying Scaramouche?  I must know.

edie, your table looks awesome! I love EVERY square inch.
and I love that you love to rebel.

now. don’t go knockin’ on my brown. Some of us wait all year for their favorite color to be finally elevated beyond its poopy roots. :)

love you girl. May you have a very very blessed Thanksgiving.

41 edie wadsworth November 22, 2011 at 11:50 am

thank you dearie.  and my sincere apologies to brown.  i love a good brown in its’ proper place.
as for lyrics, i make my living googling lyrics.
i google nearly all lyrics.
part of my ongoing fascination with words.
love you and happy happy thanksgiving :)
xo

42 Vicki November 22, 2011 at 4:27 am

I LOVE IT!!!! Beautiful, full of color and life. :)

43 Victoria Austin November 22, 2011 at 5:25 am

Halleujah!  Love the explosion of color too!  It is perfectly imperfect.  Just what I would do if I were doing Thanksgiving this year.

44 Victoria Austin November 22, 2011 at 5:25 am

45 Katie Pilcher November 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Wrong….. This is one of my favorite posts you’ve done yet!!! But now I do have that song stuck in my head ;) Love the table, love the post, love the inspiration! happy thanksgiving!!

46 patty November 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm

love it! the colors are simply joyful!
happy thanksgiving to you and yours, all the way over there! ;)

47 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D November 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m at my sis’ where we are setting up for 25 people tomorrow.  And, we discovered last night that she her traditional Thanksgiving tablecloth is no where to be found.  She checked everywhere.  Finally she decided to go with big colorful round placemats she uses for summer parties.  NOT AT ALL the typical muted colors she uses for T-day.  This year – it’s a colorful Thanksgiving.

48 Carolyn November 24, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I love your table place settings! Would you mind sharing where you found the red and white plates and the blue glasses? I’m obsessing over them.
I adore your blog, and I am so happy for you to be ensconced in your new home. It’s beautiful.

49 edie wadsworth November 29, 2011 at 3:36 am

hi carolyn!
sorry so tardy in responding.
the plates are from willow house (online) and the glasses are from west elm. happy monday :)

50 Social Couture November 30, 2011 at 3:21 am

LoVe, LoVe!!!  So eclectic!