31 Days|Day 22 Screen Porch, Stevie and Siri

by Edie Wadsworth on October 22, 2011

This post is part of series called “31 Days to Rebuild Your House and Heart” and I’m writing it to chronicle our rebuilding process after we lost everything in a house fire last December. You can start here and read the whole series.  Also, a hearty thanks to my friend Rhoda for hosting this little shindig!  Thanks for visiting!

Today, I feel just like the Nester. I’m tired of blogging about rebuilding.
I did want to show you the screen porch because she’s not gonna be the star of the show next week.
The adorable garden stool? That sweet Nester sent that to me about a week after the fire. I adore it and her.
The ‘All you Need is Love’ sign? From sweet Melaine who blogs at the stellar My Sweet Savannah. There are no end to the blessings at this house!
Thanks girls, you make a screen porch look bahyooteefull and a girl feel special :)

Oh and I almost forgot the ceiling!  It’s painted my own shade of ‘haint blue’ which is common is Southern towns, especially Charleston.

Folklore is full of stories about haint blue—-that it wards off evil spirits and even mosquitoes.  I’m even hoping it could help ward off the calories of coffee treats I consume out here?

At any rate, I love the sky blue ceiling and all the coziness it creates.

(We used 2 inch pine boards.)

(The pillows and lantern and throw are from Pier One and the wicker is Lloyd Flanders Nantucket.)  The tables and chairs are from IKEA.  (Thanks Sebastian!)
**************************
And it’s Stevie’s birthday so I thought I’d humor you with his antics.
He got the new iPhone4s and now has been drawn into a love affair with  ’Siri’–the voice controlled personal assistant.
He talks to her all the time.

Here are a few things they talked about today.

Stevie: “Will you set a timer for 7 minutes.”
Siri: Sure. “Timer is set.”
Stevie: “Thank you.”
Siri: “Your most welcome.”

Stevie: “Email my brother Jeff.”
Siri: “Is that Jeff Schwarz or Jeff Wadsworth?”
Stevie: “Jeff Wadsworth, that’s my brother.”
Siri: “I’m sorry, I didn’t get that.”
Stevie: “Jeff Wadsworth.”

Stevie: “What is the chemistry behind ashes.”
Siri: “I’m sorry Steve.  I do not know.”
Stevie: “Well, you should.”
Siri: “Noted.”

Stevie:   “Siri, I love you.”
Siri: “STEVE (in a very motherly voice), you haven’t known me that long.”

I’m not even kidding.
These two could go on like this all day.
Twice, I almost answered because I thought he was talking to me.
Nope, it’s Siri he’s interested in.
Until dinner that is.
She still can’t cook for him.
And that’s why I win, Siri.  And besides, I was tired of looking things up for him anyways.

He also confessed to having a midlife crisis.
But instead of a sports car, he got a Big Green Egg.
It’s the most amazing grill EVER.
Stevie said it goes from 0-700 in less than 10.
Boys and their toys :)
I’ve leased him some real estate on the screen porch for the grill. THAT, my dears, is true love.

And Happy Birthday to my dear husband. Here’s to many more long days by the fire, grilling up steaks, watching football and chasing our dreams!
Love yous,
edie

1 Ruth Emond October 23, 2011 at 1:13 am

Your porch looks beautiful and comfy.
Too funny about Steve & Siri. Happy birthday to your hubby!!

Hugs,

2 Judith October 23, 2011 at 1:31 am

Love that throw!  Your porch looks warm and inviting…just as a porch should.  :)

3 Tara October 23, 2011 at 1:43 am

I love it.  All of it.
We were JUST talking about “Siri” this weekend….we went on a staff retreat and all the guys are in love with her, too. :)

BUT, you’re right, they ALL came running when we screamed, “SUPPER’S READY!!!”

4 Alima October 23, 2011 at 2:50 am

ha! the personal assistant stuff cracks me up! you are so funny ;)
the porch looks awesome!

5 melissa stover October 23, 2011 at 3:33 am

i have adored seeing all the pictures. everything is so beautiful!

6 allyugadawg October 23, 2011 at 5:56 am

When we got married last June my husband got a Big Green Egg. About six weeks later he left it out in the driveway after washing it (I kid you not) and I accidentally backed into it with my car. It was totaled. I thought he was going to divorce me, haha. Boys & their toys indeed ;) Post note: I replaced the one I totaled last Christmas. Thsoe suckers make a darn good steak…. and just about anything else you’d smoke or grill. Enjoy yours!

7 Tricia October 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I want to climb into your picture and take a little snoozy nap on your screened-in porch!  Your home is amazing!

8 Brittaney October 23, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I have a slight obsession with siri too. But mine is more about asking her silly questions to hear her responses.
The big green egg is 1 of God’s great gifts to man. It makes all other grills’ cooking just eh.

9 Adriane October 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Yeah, but is Siri Lutheran? Oh, snap! Edie – 10,000; Siri – negative 0.

10 edie wadsworth October 24, 2011 at 1:41 am

and i can tell by her voice that she doesn’t wear cowgirl boots. you’re right. i’m killin’ her!
xo,
edie

11 Kimnp October 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I had to read the Stevie /Siri conversation to Jay, as they are Twitter buddies. Thanks a lot, now we are looking up green eggs :) Wondering if it comes with a ham?

12 edie wadsworth October 24, 2011 at 1:40 am

so funny ms. kim! it’s all beef all the time at our house :)
hope you guys are well,
edie

13 Shaunna October 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Edie…I have to tell you that I’ve been catching up on your blog–like twenty-something posts–this morning after home worship.  You’ve done this for me before, but girl, you’ve blessed me so very much this morning.  I’ve adored catching up on your home…it’s TO DIE FOR, and I can’t wait for next week!  As we’re beginning homeschooling, I like to think I’ll be drawing quite a bit of inspiration from you and your book obsession.  I’m quite a book fan, myself.  Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and tell you I’m LOVING your blog, and still so in love with your infectious spirit.  I think we need to grab a cup of coffee.  If only you lived in Alabama. :-)  xoxo

14 edie wadsworth October 24, 2011 at 1:39 am

oh how giddy i am! i love your blog too and have gotten lost deep in your archives before. yes, we do need to have coffee…..and maybe rehab a old goodwill dresser too. much love friend! thanks for the encouragement :)
xo,
edie

15 Gretchen October 23, 2011 at 7:16 pm

At least you laugh about Steve and Siri. I love his big green egg!!!

16 Southern Gal October 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Too funny!  That one shot of your comfy sofa makes me want to curl up with a favorite book and a hot cup of pumpkin spice latte.  Hmm.
Happy Birthday to Stevie.  I’m sure your cooking will win over Siri every single time.
My husband needs a new grill.  What is that big green egg officially called?

17 edie wadsworth October 24, 2011 at 1:38 am

sadly renee, i haven’t been reading much out there either. i’ve got to quit working on the house and start enjoying the house!! and yes, it’s officially called ‘the big green egg”
xo,
edie

18 {darlene} October 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Happy Birthday, Stevie!! I read this post to Matt… now he thinks he needs Siri…
Did she really tell you “you haven’t known me that long?”

hee-larious.

19 edie wadsworth October 24, 2011 at 1:37 am

exactly those words!!! isn’t it the funniest thing EVER :)

20 Polly October 24, 2011 at 1:57 am

Fabulous Egg!  Jeff and I talked about dear Siri tonight, she gets around, Jeff has been eyeing her for a week or so.  Thinking I need to give him more “real estate” on our porch.  Enjoy that amazing porch!  WOW!!

21 Julie_magallanes October 24, 2011 at 6:57 am

Haha Edie, I am late to this conversation but I had to comment. I was at dinner with my bestie and she was showing me her new IPhone and we started talking about it’s features and she told me her husband was obsessed with talking to the voice thingy. She said “he told that voice “I Love you” and it said “I don’t love you, but I respect you” …I was cracking up!

22 what is new product development August 25, 2014 at 3:58 am

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually something which I believe I’d never understand.
It kind of feels too complex and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next publish, I will try to get the dangle of it!

23 trane air conditioner August 27, 2014 at 3:45 am

Hey great website! Does running a blog like this take a
large amount of work? I’ve virtually no understanding of computer programming however I was hoping
to start my own blog soon. Anyways, should you have any recommendations or tips for
new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject nevertheless I
simply needed to ask. Many thanks!

24 cord blood banking cost August 31, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hence, thinking about what should be done may only add to the sadness.

Nonetheless, you don’t want to give the identical
outdated stuff. They can also provide you an inventory of some of the most typical things to ask when looking into choosing a daycare provider.