31 Days to Rebuilding Your House and Heart|Day 2

by Edie Wadsworth on October 2, 2011

As we near the end of this rebuilding project, I can hardly contain the flood of emotions.
Lately, I find myself looking back at all the old pictures of the fire.
I find that despite the overwhelming gratitude I feel for the house, there is,  deep down, a grieving that is still making its way to the surface.
What do you do when your life is turned upside down? When your children are wayward or your body has given way to cancer or your money has run out?
Where do you turn when it all falls apart?
I know of only one place—-to the tender heart of Christ, who has, in His dying and rising, set the world upside down.
He has given meaning to suffering. He has made sense of cancer. His love for us burns like an eternal flame.
We can beat our chests and scream at heaven and make our mental lists of offenses that might have caused this tragedy.
Or we can lay down our weapons and surrender.
And when He finds us in the ditch, beaten half to death and dying, our Good Samaritan does for us what noone else can do—-He takes us to the Father.
He heals our wounds and pays our debts and gives us life abundant.
********
It’s of no use to curse the ditch because whatever it is that has brought us to this place of helplessness has been good for us.
At least now we know how desperate we are for rescue.

Lord Jesus, I believe.  Help my unbelief!  Strengthen my weak and flickering faith.  I know that You are my wisdom, my righteousness, my sanctification, and my redemption.  Lord, strengthen this faith in me, that I may never fear nor faint in any trial or temptation.  You alone are the Author and Finisher or my faith.  Though my faith be tried by fire, may I ever be found strong and unmovable to the glory of Your holy name.  Let me firmly trust in Your blood, which cleanses me from all sin, that though my sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.  When I am enticed by sin and the world beckons and my own passions want to yield, help my unbelief, and give me the strength and will to resist.  WHen trials, sorrow, and affliction want to rob me of this trust, O Lord, help me to remain steadfast and true.  Strengthen my faith in Your promises that all things work together for good to them that love God, to those who are called according to Your purpose to be Your own in time and in eternity.  You alone, O almighty Lord, can help;  You, O gracious Lord, will help my unbelief;  You, O merciful God, will strengthen my faith.   Lord, I believe!  Amen.

(from the Lutheran prayer book)

Excellent podcast by Pastors Bill Cwirla and Todd Wilken on the Good Samaritan

1 Southern Gal October 2, 2011 at 11:43 am

Faith tried by fire.   A beautiful thing.

2 emily@remodelingthislife October 2, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Edie, Your words are beautiful. So glad you are doing the series with us. Much love.

xo

3 Michelle Starling October 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Beautifully said. There is nothing more beautiful than “Lord my ears have heard of you but now my eyes have seen”.

4 Anonymous October 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thank you for this. I look forward to more of this series from you.

5 Ruth Emond October 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Beautiful post-amazing prayer!!

Why is our human nature prone to doubt and not faith-why do we cling to our pain and our troubles but not our Savior.

Praying for you sweet friend. I can only imagine the mixed emotions in your heart as you prepare to move back home.

Hugs,

6 Melissa October 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thank you.  My fire came by way of my husband leaving my son and I and later filing for divorce.  Sadly that was 18 years ago and I’m still afraid to “move on” to another relationship.  Now that my son is grown and ready to move out on his own, I know it’s sink or swim time.  Your encouraging words through your blog are like salve to a burnt soul.

7 edie wadsworth October 3, 2011 at 1:08 am

bless you melissa and i pray for healing and forgiveness.
it’s never too late.
your Father loves you and knows the deepest aches of your soul.
His gifts of life and salvation and forgiveness have always been enough. you are His beloved child. rest in grace.
xo,
edie

8 Joy Ellis October 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Thank you for sharing this.   It was a beautiful post and prayer.  Blessings to you.

9 Anonymous October 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I can feel your pain and gratitude through the words of this post. He is The Great I Am. Our Deliverer. And our friend that walks us through the valleys of this life.  I find comfort in knowing He never leaves us – never.

xoxo michele

10 edie wadsworth October 3, 2011 at 1:02 am

what a joy to share the same hope and faith and peace :)

11 Glenda Childers October 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm

This prayer . . . says it all.

fondly,
Glenda

12 Julie October 3, 2011 at 12:38 am

beautiful :)

13 edie wadsworth October 3, 2011 at 1:01 am

love you jules:)

14 Lauren October 3, 2011 at 1:02 am

Love this prayer — just what I needed to read today.  The Lord works in the most amazing ways doesn’t he.  Blessings to you and your family tonight.

15 edie wadsworth October 3, 2011 at 1:03 am

yes He does, Lauren! love to you and yours,
xo,
edie

16 {darlene} October 3, 2011 at 1:31 am

How I love every word of this post. You are a beautiful broken pot, and He shines through every single crack, dear one. He is the ONLY thing worth walking toward.
My love to you on this day, friend!

17 Deb Martell October 3, 2011 at 1:33 am

Yes!  And He redeems all of our suffering…nothing is wasted.  His ways are higher.  Forgive my unbelief and fill me with new trust!!

18 Vicki October 3, 2011 at 2:52 am

Edie,
Thank you for today’s post. I needed it.
I’m so very excited to see how God will use you these next 29 days!
Grace and Peace,
Vicki

19 Vicki October 3, 2011 at 3:01 am

My comment sounds weird after reading it through again….sorry. I was caught up in the moment! I really am so excited that you are one of the “31Dayers”. I feel like God is going to use you this month to bring Him fame through everything you have gone through. I am always so encouraged by your words and thoughts. Life is crazy right now for me and I know He is working through others like you to help me along this journey we (our family just moved 3,100 miles across the map and into a new country!) are on right now.
~Vicki

20 Tara October 3, 2011 at 3:11 am

edie…i needed these words tonight.

21 Rhonda N. October 4, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Like so many others, I needed this post.

We’re going to move – and it’s not the move I wanted.

I am now the kicking, screaming toddler being carried to the place that’s good for me, and why, when I even recognize that, can’t I – or why don’t I – just stop and let my Heavenly Daddy take me there and see what He has for me.  Or see what I can be for Him when we get there?  Instead, it’s all about me and my limited toddler understanding that wants what I had back there, as I continue to look, scream, and point behind us instead of looking where He is looking.

Thanks again.  After all, Jesus too asked that the cup be taken from Him.

22 Shannon October 5, 2011 at 2:16 am

Edie, how beautiful. I’ve printed this whole post out and slipped it into my treasured quote book. Thank you for the encouragement!

23 edie wadsworth October 9, 2011 at 7:58 pm

what a sweet surprise to get this message from you :)
thank you so much for the encouragement.
are you blogging again?
you’ve been missed…..
xo,
edie

24 Tiffany C. November 13, 2012 at 2:19 am

Oh, how I love the prayer at the end of this post!!! Thank you for sharing it!!~
Sincerely, Happy to have found your blog via Just a Night Owl,