not alone

by Edie Wadsworth on March 21, 2011

Today is the 3 month anniversary since our house was destroyed by fire.

Today is the 9th birthday of my baby-child.

Today, we began our journey to rebuild.

Today is a  precious gift to us from our Father.

He will move this mountain for us. And He will move your mountain too.

Timshel by Mumford and Sons

Cold is the water
It freezes your already cold mind
Already cold, cold mind
And death is at your doorstep
And it will steal your innocence
But it will not steal your substance

But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand and we’ll hold your hand
Hold your hand

And you are the mother
The mother of your baby child
The one to whom you gave life
And you have your choices
And these are what make man great
His ladder to the stars

But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand and we’ll hold your hand
Hold your hand

And I will tell the night
Whisper, “Lose your sight”
But I can’t move the mountains for you

1 Tiffany @ The Domestic Fox March 22, 2011 at 2:05 am

The first day of spring…a new season…new life…new hope. Sending love and prayers to you and yours Edie…it’s going to be okay.

2 Hillcrestcottage March 22, 2011 at 2:12 am

Wow. Life is so fragile.

My husband just preached a sermon on Sunday from Psalm 46. It was a perspective on all that Japan is experiencing and how their tragedy relates to our lives as Christians. The main point was that all of life here on this earth is just a facade… like one of those 50′s Hollywood movie sets with the false fronts. This video reminds me so much of that… watching that chimney being torn down…the fireplace being the heart of a home… a source of warmth and refuge and love for your incredible family.

As real as it is, it is not real… for ANY of us. God alone is our only refuge and strength. He alone is our stronghold. He alone provides our warmth and security and love. Everything we see and touch in this life can never be as real as Him.

Thanks for sharing this video… a great visual for every one of us.

3 Julie March 22, 2011 at 2:19 am

A good day, friend :) One of my favorite Mary Engelbreit prints for you…

4 Amelia March 22, 2011 at 2:19 am

You are not alone in this. Prayers lifted up for you and your family as you take this next step in the journey. Thank you for sharing the video, I agree, a great visual. Happy, Happy Birthday to your dear child.
Amelia

5 Welcomingspirit March 22, 2011 at 2:21 am

Sending warm thoughts to you as you rebuild. God Bless you and your family.

6 Jenn A March 22, 2011 at 2:22 am

Thank you for sharing your journey with all of us. We are blessed by the evidence of God’s grace in you.
Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3 More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, 4 and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, 5 and hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

7 Robin March 22, 2011 at 2:22 am

Edie
Such a bitter sweet post. Thank you for sharing your life with us. You are an inspiration and your grace speaks volumes. May our gracious and loving Father bring great joy and happiness to you and your family as you rebuild your lives.
Hugs from me in California

8 Elizabeth Highsmith March 22, 2011 at 2:22 am

I read and watched and my heart throbs and mind wanders to daniel-the three not burned by fire and mighty king turned mad cut back to the stump and the chew and the cud but he grew again. and our father then and father now only cuts back to build again. you are brave, you are loved-i am excited to see the rest of this story unfold-blessings-prayers.

9 Flower Patch Farmgirl March 22, 2011 at 2:24 am

Miss you, Honey Chile.

10 Andrea March 22, 2011 at 2:30 am

Crying, for loss, AND for precious new beginnings. Love to you as you begin again, stronger and more firm in His love than ever before.

11 Niki March 22, 2011 at 2:32 am

I have the chills having watched that. If it is ok with you, I’d like to link this to a post this week. From the “Git it Done” shirt, to the children’s faces to the demolition, it was more than touching. I’ve had a more than rough year. Sometimes it felt like I wanted to look at God and say “uncle”. Sometimes it is in life’s hardest times that we just plain grow closer to god…..and just plain grow as humans. The song said it all, you are not alone….so true in so many ways. Enough preaching from me. Thanks for the inspiration and reminder!

12 June March 22, 2011 at 2:36 am

Touching video,,,Great song! Love the Git-R-Done sweatshirt. I hope all goes well and peaceful.
Edie,,, I thought of you today when I saw in a magazine the new line from OPI nail polish called Texas,,,there is a turquoise and an orange,,,check it out on the OPI website,,there is even a behind the scenes video of the photo shoot,,,Enjoy!!!
June

13 June March 22, 2011 at 2:36 am

June

14 Susie Davis March 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

Beautiful. Tragedy doesn’t not triumph.

15 Susie Davis March 22, 2011 at 2:39 am

Beautiful. Tragedy doesn’t not triumph.

16 misha leigh March 22, 2011 at 2:49 am

I love that song! And I just couldn’t help but smile seeing the blossoms on the trees. Bittersweet because of loss – but oh so beautiful to see new life coming.

17 Jennmurray March 22, 2011 at 3:00 am

thanks for sharing the pictures and thoughts and song, Edie. Still praying for you. Yes, God will move those mountains. He will.

18 Cath March 22, 2011 at 3:40 am

His grace is unrelenting. You are not alone.
Blessings to you and your family as we watch your home
rebuilt and your faith renewed.

19 Lisa March 22, 2011 at 3:47 am

A new day. A new season. A new year ahead for your little girl, and a new beginning.
Funny how you are the one encouraging us instead of the other way around.
I hope this part of the journey is a joyful one for you! You are missed ’round these parts….its not the same without you Edie!

20 Emily March 22, 2011 at 4:02 am

That was amazing. Thank you for sharing such a personal time for your family with all of us. We will continue to pray for you as you begin to re-build. Your family is just lovely, you are so blessed!

21 Margaret Ritchie March 22, 2011 at 4:08 am

So happy that the re-build has begun!

22 shairee March 22, 2011 at 4:15 am

Wow – that was beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! I haven’t stopped praying for you and your family!

23 Stickhorsecowgirl (V) March 22, 2011 at 4:29 am

New beginnings and new hopes. Reminds me to hold the things of this world a little more loosely and keep my focus on what is eternal, especially in this holy season.

24 Michelle March 22, 2011 at 6:18 am

Edie, Thank you for sharing this with us and I love that song. You and your families strength have and will be in our prayers….

25 Se7en March 22, 2011 at 6:40 am

Oh happy birthday little one… there is something so bittersweet about a youngest’s milestones!!! That song was beautiful, the images sad and then a fresh start. Three months isn’t ever long at all, it feels like yesterday and a lifetime away. All strength to you and prayers for getting through the little things each day.

26 Breeann March 22, 2011 at 7:01 am

I love that song. Perfect one for your video. May God bless you and your family during this new chapter.

27 ~Beth March 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

As I read your post, immediately Lamentations 3:22-23 (NIV) came to mind: “Because of the Lord’s great love, we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Never experiencing anything like you have gone through, I can not relate to what that is like. But I do know we have the same Lord and Savior and He will see you through this as you face each and every morning! Great IS His faithfulness! Love and Blessings! ~Beth

28 Southern Gal March 22, 2011 at 11:21 am

New birth in this season of Lent. Poignant song and pictures, Edie. Bless you.

29 Amy Avery March 22, 2011 at 11:39 am

I cry with you friend, I rejoice with you, I hope for you, I am blessed by you! So beautiful. I can’t help but marvel at the rawness of this piece and, especially during this season of Lent, how it mirrors how we are when our Lord pulls us out of the heap, wipes the slate clean, and rebuilds something new and beautiful. You are a living testiment to His love, you and your family. I hope sweet Elea had a wonderful birthday. Blessing upon her 9th year and blessings to you and your family in this rebuilding and rebirth. thank you Edie for sharing this with us.

30 Gina March 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I’ve been waiting for two weeks for a post and this did not disappoint. It was so poignant. Beautiful song. Beautiful sentiment. Beautiful life. Thanks for sharing.

31 ulli March 22, 2011 at 12:30 pm

It’s spring–a time of renewal. Life is precious and beautiful, and from the rubble life and living will spring forth again. Standing with you… Glad you posted…

32 Valariekerby March 22, 2011 at 12:40 pm

new beginnings, new hope, new love, we love you Edie

33 FringeGirl March 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Spring brings new beginnings, and your life is evidence of His grace renewed each morning. Thank you for sharing heart and home with us. Praying many blessing for you and your family.
-FringeGirl

34 Molly P March 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm

All I can think to say is… I love you Edie! Even though we have never met, through our comments back and forth to each other, you feel like a real friend to me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers and I hope your ‘baby-child’ has a blessed birthday!!!
~Molly P

35 paige March 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

you are so often in my thoughts & prayers. i thought & prayed for your sweet family yestserday while i prepared the requested tomato soup of yours by my little one.
much love friend, sending much love ox

36 Anonymous March 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Couldn’t help but cry along with you all as I watched that video. Kept thinking about Hosea 6 . . . ‘Come let us return to the Lord. He has torn us to pieces but He will restore us; He has injured us but He will bind up our wounds.’ Oh, and I love any post that includes Mumford & Sons :) Thank you for sharing all of this with us, Edie.

37 Simplylkj March 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Edie, may the 1st Day of Spring bring the start of a New Beginning for you and your family. I pray you all find that one tiny bud, that first glimpse of New Life, amongst the rubble and ash, as you begin to rebuild your lives together. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

38 Christy March 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

He gives beauty for ashes
Strength for fear
Gladness for mourning
Peace for despair

Blessings,
Christy

39 FunkySteph March 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm

i am so Happy to read you are starting to rebuild!!! Happy BDay to your 9 old and wishing you all the best in this journey. Love

40 Richella at Imparting Grace March 22, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Oh, no, my dear friend. You are most certainly NOT alone. And in sharing your joys and your heartaches, you have shown many desperately needy souls that THEY are not alone, either. God bless you for the sharing. And God bless you in the building. You are so precious.

41 Jen March 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Edie–
I’ve only found your moving words a few months ago, but I find myself thinking of and praying for you and your family. My heart and prayers go out to you, knowing HE will see you through.

To new beginnings…shared with memories
Jen xo

42 Jen March 22, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Edie–

To new beginnings…shared with memories
Jen xo

43 Westcoastnester March 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I am overjoyed. Singing praises to the Lord today.

44 Westcoastnester March 22, 2011 at 3:21 pm

I am overjoyed. Singing praises to the Lord today.

45 Shaunna March 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm

oh edie..your video made me cry. so sweet. so strong your little family is. i truly hope that this new season brings you new adventures, new memories, new beginnings, and a sense of peace. your family is in my thoughts…you are truly an inspirational woman. i admire your strength.

46 Alima Deneke March 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Edie, you are such a wonderful testimony to God’s love and grace. Every time I read your blog, it reminds me to stop and thank Him for my family, my health, my life. Thank you so much for such an amazing reminder. :)

47 Alima Deneke March 22, 2011 at 3:42 pm

48 Tammystwocents March 22, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Edie, Your story gets me to my core. I feel like we would be friends if either of us lived closer to each other.

Rebuilding is fresh and new…exactly how God has renewed each one of us.

49 Alison March 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

soon a new home will rest on the foundation of the old…looking forward to seeing it all take shape for you.

blessings,

alison
stuff and nonsense

50 Lilapug March 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I can not believe you had the lyrics to Timshel on your blog today. All week I have been slightly obsessing over all the Mumford & Sons lyrics. Glad to see that someone else enjoys them too!

51 Erica Cooper March 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm

God is good!! Blessing to you this day!

52 Lavonne March 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Wow! I didn’t even realize your house was destroyed by fire. I am so sorry. God is so good though, despite the hardships we face. Thank you for sharing your faith with us.

53 Ruth Emond March 22, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Sweet Edie~The video was bittersweet. Watching the old come down and being removed to make way for the new. Thank you for sharing this journey with us.

Spring~new life~promises~hope

Praying for you and your sweet family.

Happy Birthday to your precious daughter.

Hugs,

54 2boysandmygirl March 22, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Such a pretty song. So happy for your new beginnings….can’t wait to take the journey with you.

55 April March 22, 2011 at 9:48 pm

God bless you in your new beginning! I love Mumford-great song!

56 Bev March 22, 2011 at 9:57 pm

wow Edie, what a powerful video and then add to it the words in the song. He will move our Mountains. and He will love you bigger than the mountains, deeper than the ocean. You are a child of the King, and He Loves you!
Praise the Lord for new beginnings! (and the FUN that they will hold!)
Love u,
Bev

57 Ginny March 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I really like this video…I can’t imagine how painful this whole process has been…I have a dear friend whose house burned to the ground about the same time as yours…the pain I have seen her go through has been awful…I pray that God will carry you through this storm as He is always faithful…

58 Sewnwithgrace March 23, 2011 at 1:39 am

God bless you all! C.S. Lewis wrote that we have no doubt that God has the best plans for us, we just wonder how painful those plans will be. Cannot wait to see what will rise from the ashes. He will turn your mourning into dancing!

59 Anonymous March 23, 2011 at 7:11 am

Crying tears. I kept hearing that the Lord is going to give you beauty for ashes. There is so much beauty to be discovered through all of this. Only He knows. I am thankful for your new beginnings.

60 Nancy March 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

A new start and beginning for you and your family. God bless you all.

61 Kelly March 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love that you are beginning this journey as spring breaks forth… rebirth in all for your family. Blessings!

62 Bridget Klapperich March 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Beautiful video! I pray for your new beginning and your family.

63 Meghann Lopez March 23, 2011 at 5:03 pm

wow…. the last part of your video where you can see the rest of the building being torn down made me tear up. Im sure that was a very emotional day… out with the old (the lost the broken) and the beginning of the new (the restored the new). God is good… even when we dont understand he is good!

64 Kingsleymoore March 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for sharing.we are not alone….

65 Amy March 23, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Thoughts and prayers your way.

66 Sharon March 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I just want to say that as I watched this with tears in my eyes I could only think what great and marvelous things God has for you..how sad to see what you thought was the best being taken to the ground. But what is that we hear…He’s whispering in the wind that He has soooo much more for you and your family. Stand tall and strong in His love and know that He is with you each step of the way. I enjoy your posts and am encouraged by your strength in words and the love I feel coming through. Praying still. Sharon

67 Brooke Phillips March 24, 2011 at 1:28 am

Ohhhh, Edie…how I can’t wait to see you again and hug your neck!!! So glad to hear a little from you, you know that in Christ something always must die so that He can bring about the new life…”We do have a parallel experience in gardening. You plant a “dead” seed; soon there is a flourishing plant. There is no visual likeness between seed and plant. You could never guess what a tomato would look like by looking at a tomato seed. What we plant in the soil and what grows out of it don’t look anything alike. The dead body that we bury in the ground and the resurrection body that comes from it will be dramatically different.” 1 Corinthians15:36 (the message)
Love you!!!

68 jessz March 24, 2011 at 2:35 am

Much love to you dear Edie. Been thinking about you a lot lately. That is one of my favorite songs. :) Blessings to you as you sift through your sorrow, yet find strength in your joy, the Lord our God.

69 Norrismandy March 24, 2011 at 10:25 am

What a picture of out with the old and in with the new in this beautiful new season….Blessings and Peace…Mandy

70 Lanakwaustin March 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Tears of Grief AND Tears of Joy watching this–
a compelling dichotomy witnessing the tearing down of the old to make way for the new.

May the Holy Spirit continue to whisper sweet words of tenacity and hope in your ear!

I can already hear the laughter that is going to fill up and flow over in this new beginning of a home!!!

Love always/have missed you stopping by our blog (we just moved into our new villa in Lago Patria) but we know you have been insanely busy,
Lana

71 Lanakwaustin March 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Tears of Grief AND Tears of Joy watching this–

Lana

72 Karen March 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Blessings to you and your beautiful family. I was just reading in the paper last night about a family that suffered a house fire – only their 17 year old son (who has a twin), did not make it out. I thought about your beautiful, brave children. Your video was so moving – it is good you thought to record the moment of your phoenix getting ready to rise from the ashes! Blessings dear Edie & family : )

73 Karen March 24, 2011 at 12:19 pm

74 My Beautiful Life March 25, 2011 at 2:37 am

This makes me so happy for you, and your family. Very moving video. Loved that song. Hope you are well, and that homeschooling, and all the plethora of new house plans/details isn’t keeping you insanely busy.

Best to you and your sweet family.

75 Jessica March 25, 2011 at 2:44 am

Beautiful song. Such a bitter sweet day I imagine. Love you Edie! Hugs to the girls too. XOXO.

76 christine March 25, 2011 at 3:55 am

i love mumford and sons.
you seem to have great substance, thanks.

77 DeLynne Brady March 25, 2011 at 5:14 am

Edie I am amazed everyday at your strength….I hope that you know how much you are admired and loved! Just knowing you has influenced my life so much and has made me a better person! I pray for your family daily and we dont always understand why God makes us go thru what he does but I know I am such a stronger person because of the things that I have felt like should have totally destroyed me! That video breaks my heart especially when the girls are looking at the ruble…I cannot imagine their fears and pain. I know this could happen to me or anyone at anytime! Just thinking of you as you all rebuild and it is wonderful to hear that little spark back of that Awesome Homemaker that have grown to admire! Can’t wait to keep up with the rebuilding process! God Bless!

78 Jana March 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm

What a beautiful post to remind us that spring brings a new beginning and that HE is behind it all. Blessings to you and your family.

79 Jennifer March 25, 2011 at 8:29 pm

…..we will stand and hold your hand……you are not alone in this! So bittersweet to see this video. Sending you much love as you begin this new season of rebuilding.

80 Angie March 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I know you’re hurting due to the loss of photos, momentos, etc. but I know that I would consider it heaven on Earth to have been blessed in such a way as to have lived a single day in that beautiful structure with the man I love and your beautiful, healthy children. and you will again! Keep in mind that it is a structure and you have the gift of looking forward to replacing it with something brand new and beautiful. I am a single parent that was left by my husband while pregnant with our second child and never heard from him again after ten years of marriage. I was soo excited to finally purchase our little $50,000 home several years ago but continually worry that I won’t be able to provide all that is needed for my two children. It’s difficult on a teacher’s salary because I try to keep a second job which means even more time away from my children just to pay bills. One thing I have learned is that God is good and even when I see no possibility of making it month to month He provides for all of our needs. I got rid of my desire for “things” a long time ago and now consider blessings to be health.. time.. peace. If you have each other you have it ALL. Enjoy this season of rebirth as you plan your beautiful new home. I would be sooo excited! God bless you and your family. Life itself is indeed a miracle!

81 Lisa March 26, 2011 at 2:10 am

AMEN.

HUGS FROM MY HEART

82 Tarahlowry March 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

sweet friend…..loved this video and the song…so very powerful. i haven’t been in blogland or on facebook much during lent…it’s been a much needed break, but i have missed catching up with your life…this was so encouraging. i couldn’t help but notice the bright green grass on the outskirts of the burned down home……God is so faithful to bring fresh, new growth to us. I can’t wait to see your new house……so grateful for the very obvious growth he’s given your heart and mind.

83 Trudyroyston March 27, 2011 at 12:51 am

Just got on high spped internet and watched the video. Edie, you are amazing. God bless you and your sweet family.
Sincerely, Trudy

84 Grateful Grama March 27, 2011 at 2:32 am

Truly you are not alone in this. And the beauty of your faith reassures us all that we are not alone either. Watching the remnants coming down must be heartbreakingly sad but the beautiful blossoms of spring’s new beginning are there too. May your new beginning outshine anything that has come before.

85 danigallipeau March 27, 2011 at 4:41 am

i just listened to this song on youtube, and it was moved my spirirt. do you know of the background to this song??

86 meg duerksen March 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm

hi edie.
i keep thinking about you.
hoping you are hangin’ in.
hangin’ ON.
love that song.
you are STRONG. :)

have a beautiful day today.

87 Paula Montalvo March 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm

As much as my heart ached for you and your family when this first happened, is as much as I am filled with joy and excitement for new beginnings!! God is good, ALL the time! Through this tragedy HIS name will be praised! Blessings to you all <3 Paula Montalvo

88 Liz March 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Edie,

We lost our house to fire when I was 7. 5 months prior to that we lost my mom. 1974 seemed to have been a rough year but honestly my memory of it all these years later is of all the kindness shown to us during that time. People stepped up, came through and others suffered those same losses at times later in my life and I noticed so it certainly is true…you are not alone, this too shall pass and when all is said and done you will be stronger, knowing you can get through a lot. You will also be better equipped to help others in times of need. Hard times, if nothing else, are a very good lesson in empathy and empathy is a gift to those who have and give it freely. Our fire started in my room and truth be told I should not be here but for a babysitting issue that required me to be at Grandma’s that night. So like you and your sweet family I was spared grave harm or worse. For that I remain thankful to this day. So please, do not let any of this stop the breath of fresh air you are and the gift your family is to the world:)

Be well and God Bless!
Liz

89 LouBoo March 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Hello – I came to your blog through Paige’s ‘Simple Thoughts’ and over the months I have wondered how you have been getting on. Even when the tsunami hit in Japan I found myself thinking of those who have lost their homes (and worse) and then I found my thoughts when to you and your family. I am pleased and heartened to see that whilst there is heartbreak in loosing your home, there is also a new beginning. Lou x

90 Cadny March 29, 2011 at 8:30 pm

u are beautiful and i love ur beautiful blog. stay strong lady. xo

91 Kelly (kelly is inspired) March 30, 2011 at 3:21 am

Here’s to bright future and a beautiful new home for your family. God Bless,

92 summer March 30, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Edie , The only word to describe the post up above is BEAUTIFUL …..I am thinking of the scripture where the LORD says , ” HE hath made evrything beautiful in HIS time . ” ECCLESIASTES 3:11 and the scripture that states , ” And we know that all things work together for good to them that love GOD , to them who are called according to HIS purpose . ” ROMANS 8:28 ….. Happy day to you Edie ……Rest well

93 Kelly April 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hi Edie,
I watched. I cried. I’ve been there.
My best to you & your family.
With love from Ohio.