Gallery Wall in lieu of kitchen photos

by Edie Wadsworth on July 23, 2010

Our basement at the lakehouse has been officially declared ‘the Mancave’.   It has housed many {sweaty} boys this summer and has been sorely neglected—as in, I try my best NOT to ever go down there.

And then there’s the dilemma of where to put all my art and photographs.   This house has no walls, remember?  Open floor plans have their downside.

Since I’m finally starting to ‘nest’ in this house,  I asked Stevie today if it would make him crazy if I started painting the master bedroom.

He said, “Maybe a little.”   {And then later seemed legitimately surprised that I wasn’t painting:)}

So, I decided instead to try to hang every painting and photo in the mancave.

And to my sweet surprise, I almost succeeded.
It doesn’t even look like a mancave anymore, save the cowhide rug.

This is what the powers that be call a gallery wall.    A whole wall of art.

My question for Stevie is this?   Can I paint tomorrow without making you wanna go jump in the lake?  Pretty please?  With s’mores on top?

And lastly, I’m posting this to try to keep you from sending me anymore hate mail about whether I EVER plan to  post pics of the kitchen.

My most treasured internet friends, trust me when I say that I promise you I’m not trying to build suspense here.  It’s still NOT DONE.  I’m mean, it’s close.   And I know you don’t care whether or not the trim is up or the corner shelves are in.  But I really want it to be done before I show you the whole thing.

So please accept this post of the gallery wall as my humble attempt at appeasing you for a week or so.

Kinda like bribing your kids with fruit when they want brownies.

The brownies will be done soon.   At least that’s what I keep hearing!   Thank you so much for your patience and thank you for the oodles of encouragement and kindness you’ve given me.   You are my favorite reason to love this space.

ps. I’m making this and this and this today. Can you say yummy?

1 Sheri July 23, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Sigh. I really need to decorate. Like REALLY. My bedroom is gosh awful. Okay. ‘nuf self-pity there.

Love all of your stars Edie. Always have.Always will.

2 angela July 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Oh I love what I’ve seen so far….and I sure hope you get the green light to paint!

3 Heather July 23, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I am so impressed with your progress. I have been in my home for almost 5 years and still have art on the floor, leaning on walls. But hey, that’s a look right? Your kitchen teaser photo is fab! Looking forward to your big reveal.

4 Pink and Polka Dot July 23, 2010 at 10:31 pm

oh my, edie…i can’t wait to see your finished kitchen! i know it’ll be lovely just like you! xo

5 Charity (The Thrifty Designer) July 23, 2010 at 10:47 pm

Edie, I’m cracking up at the “Simplify” sign on that anything-but-simple gallery wall. Very nice touch! Your man cave looks just like a family room now….can I come hang out?

6 Tommystroop July 23, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Where oh where did you get those lovely open shelves? We are wanting to do that in our kitchen but I haven’t had much luck finding the white ones?!! Beautiful! :D

7 Lauren July 24, 2010 at 12:55 am

Love the art on the wall! Beautiful gallery indeed! I can’t wait to see your completed kitchen! I’m jealous of that stove and oven! I know you are thrilled! :)

8 Denise July 24, 2010 at 1:34 am

The sneak peek is fun! Can’t wait for the big reveal!

9 Jessica Washburn July 24, 2010 at 1:53 am

OK, so I have been wondering if you are just trying to build the suspense…but I know how remodels go. Can’t wait to see it, waiting patiently because I am one that would rather see it all finished, I don’t blame you a bit! So I went to lunch w/ friends today, they are getting anxious to have their days back (kids back in school next week), I have to say a tiny bit of me is jealous…Jax is so hard headed. I’ll be praying hard that we don’t kill eachother this year.

You’re right, it no longer looks like a man cave…but a girls got to have a place to hang things. BTW, we are finishing up SOTW and finished the chapter about Martin Luther…I just love learning about world religions, can’t help it! ;)

10 rebecca d July 24, 2010 at 3:44 am

I too got a chuckle over the “Simplify” sign on a wall with almost every picture and painting you own…

I vote paint away… come the colder months you’ll be glad you did.

11 Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam July 24, 2010 at 2:59 pm

HAHA – HATE mail? Oh my friend, I know all you’ve gotten is LOVE mail. We can’t wait. :)But the gallery wall…fantastic.

12 Kelly July 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

OMG! The one photo of your kitchen stove area looks amazing! You are such a bad teaser though. I can’t stand waiting. I want to see more. I love your use of color in all your rooms so far. They’re so happy. You really have the knack to style a room in a fun and unique way. I say to your husband, if you want to paint, he should let you. Anything you touch will only make it better. You can tell him I said so. Ha!

13 meg duerksen July 24, 2010 at 9:09 pm

looks like it will be beautiful!!!

14 meg duerksen July 24, 2010 at 9:10 pm

looks like it will be absolutely beautiful!!!
take your time :)

15 Lana Austin July 24, 2010 at 10:42 pm

I just don’t know if I can continue being your blog stalker, er, I mean, reader/friend since you refuse to put up those new kitchen photos.

You’re awesome, kitchen photos or not.

Hang in there. As exhilarating as it is with moving/decorating/nesting, I know it can be exhausting, too.

Love/hugs/prayers,
L

16 Sheila July 25, 2010 at 2:22 am

Can’t wait to see it “all done”. Enjoyed the peek into the mancave. Have a great big beautiful Lord’s Day, Edie!

17 Angie July 25, 2010 at 3:04 am

That has to be the prettiest man cave i’ve ever seen ;) Can’t wait for the kitchen photos!!

18 shelly@familyblt July 25, 2010 at 4:36 am

isn’t it funny how a house feels so much more like home when you get pics on the walls! I need more up in our house too. SO looking forward to seeing your kitchen!

19 Cate July 25, 2010 at 8:32 am

You mancave is looking great, the glimpse of your kitchen is wow, and….yum! :-)

20 patty July 25, 2010 at 11:28 pm

LOVE the gallery wall-love it! i dream of one of my own!

can i invite myself over to see it in person?? ;o

21 Crystal July 26, 2010 at 12:40 am

I love your gallery wall! It looks so great! I don’t think I could ever pull that off and have it look so good!
I particularly love the “Simplify” wall sign among the packed wall of paintings! It made me smile!

22 Jo July 26, 2010 at 1:59 am

I’ve just found your blog ~ it’s great.

Love the man cave. My boys would love to have one of their own ~ I only ask that they clean it to my standards ;)

That blueberry cake looks amazing. I’ll need to give it a try as I have all the ingred. on hand.

Jo

23 Pru July 26, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I love that Jack Vettriano print. We used to have one in our house, but we now just have the green car on the beach one which goes very well with our bathroom. I too cannot wait to see your kitchen in its glory but I hope you are just enjoying that gorgeous house in the meantime.

24 Katie July 26, 2010 at 8:40 pm

It’s beautiful!

25 Dana D@BoysMyJoys July 28, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Oh how I love the picture above the piano…
the one with the children…
with the little boy fishing in overalls with his ballcap backwards!
When my boys were babies, that print was part of the border in their bathroom.
sigh!
Time flies!
(You can see some of it here: http://boysmyjoys.blogspot.com/2008/07/never-ending-project.html )