Photoshop and Lounge Pants

by Edie Wadsworth on December 26, 2009

I’m sitting in my lounge pants, drinking the world’s best coffee, in my very quiet house (all kids are somehow briefly gone), desperately trying to figure out how to use my new Christmas present (photoshop cs4). It’s kinda complicated—with a very steep learning curve. Any suggestions?
christmas

christmas2

christmas3

So far, with Cindy’s help, I can make a simple collage, resize it, posterize it, and fiddle with the saturation and exposure. I was able to add text an hour ago and can’t seem to make that work at the present moment. Maybe by next Christmas I’ll have the hang of it. Hope you get to spend lots of time in your lounge pants today! Stevie was kinda disappointed that he didn’t get a new pair so I may have to venture out later. We decided we either need a new exercise and diet regimen or some new lounge pants. I vote for lounge pants.

1 cindy December 26, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Oooooo…I am so impressed…look at you posterize and sepia and collage….text is in your tool palette. Looks fantastic!

2 podso December 26, 2009 at 4:08 pm

I'd say you're doing good so far. Plug away–it will eventually become almost second nature and probably relaxing!

3 kanishk December 26, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Looks fantastic!

Work from home India

4 Melanie: December 26, 2009 at 5:56 pm

How fun!

Text: There is a "T" for the text tool. Click that and type away within the box you make on the photo.

Just keep in mind…it's all about the layers! Play with what menu windows you have open.

Enjoy!

5 Autum December 26, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Happy lounging!! Have you checked out Pioneer Woman's photoshop tutorials? I know very, very little, but what I do know, I learned from her.

6 Michelle December 26, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I have Photoshop CS3 and I have learned a lot by watching tutorial videos on youtube.

I also have a book by Elaine Weinmann and Peter Lourekas that is fantastic.

I still have a TON to learn, but once I mastered layers and masks I felt like I finally had the upper hand on the software.

Happy Photoshopping!

7 Terri December 26, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I all for the lounge pants! Great choice!! I use StoryBook Creator Plus 3.0 … so intuitive, easy, and fun to play with photos!! Blessings!

8 Mommy, I'm Home December 26, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I vote for new lounge pants too…

9 Angie December 26, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Ya I'm all for the new lounge pants!

10 Kristi December 26, 2009 at 7:23 pm

ROFL I was going to say, I'm in lounge pants because I'm AFRAID to put my jeans on!!!! Congrats on the new photoshop! I'm still trying to learn my new camera which I read last night that what I have been doing (the past 2 weeks) is probably ruining the lense!!! LOVELY, lol!
Kristi

11 Kristi December 26, 2009 at 7:24 pm

ps- LOVE the collage, your doing great! :)

12 Sara December 26, 2009 at 8:45 pm

great gift! i have photo shop elements 7.0 and am still trying to figure it out! i LOVE http://www.jessicasprague.com She offers online classes. I had the chance to do a FREE photo shop online tutorial last year and it was very helpful. Also maggieholmes.com
she is a photographer and you can buy some of her photoshop actions to load into your photoshop to edit pictures with! merry christmas and happy learning!!

13 Leonie December 26, 2009 at 8:56 pm

HI Edie, For photoshop go straight to http://www.jessicasprague.com/ Jessicas classes are the best for beginners right through to advanced.

14 Ruthanne December 26, 2009 at 9:09 pm

When I first got CS4, I signed up with KelbyTraining.com and took as many classes as I could for one month and then canceled before the month was over. And now I just play everyday and learn something new. :D

15 Love Being a Nonny December 26, 2009 at 9:57 pm

Still in my lounge pants but you wouldn't believe how much I have accomplished while wearing them!

Don't have photoshop, but would love to! Can't wait to see what you learn!

16 FOR THE SAKE OF TIME December 26, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Great comment about the lounge pants. I am covered up in my new pink Snuggie! It was the hit with lots of our family this year.

You are doing great with your new "toy". I am trying to learn to use a new Canon G11. I think I need Camera 101!

Have a great new year and I love your blog.

Charla

17 Megan December 26, 2009 at 10:27 pm

what kind of coffee are you drinking? I always like a good cup!

18 do it yourselfer December 26, 2009 at 10:33 pm

i just do picasa and love it…don't know anything about photoshop. sorry. hope you had a great christmas!

19 Julie Harward December 26, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT ALL THAT, BUT I LIKE THE TOP PHOTO BEST! I WEARING THE SAME TODAY AFTER ALL THE GOODIES I MADE..AND ATE! HOPE THE NEW YEAR BRINGS YOU GREAT JOY! Come say hi :D

20 kirstin & jordan December 27, 2009 at 1:05 am

oooh, steep learning curve is right! what a fun present, though!

21 Southern Gal December 27, 2009 at 4:38 am

What a great Christmas gift! I've always been afraid of Photoshop. I don't have one, so I don't know a thing about it to help you out. I do know PW has all those tutorials on her photo page and I would definitely use that! Happy learning!

22 My name is PJ. December 27, 2009 at 12:15 pm

The photos are great! You'll have it figured out in no time!

23 Paula December 27, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I'd suggest getting the Scott Kelby CS4 book (I'm sure he's got one for that although I have the cs3 one). Also get a basic photoshop book as I've found they assume you know a lot of the basics. CS4 is *very* advanced and a lot of the "auto"'s fix things quite well as long as exposure & light balance aren't off too much. I love fixing in bridge! Also remember to duplicate your photos when you work on anything so as not to indefinitely change the original!
Welcome to a new addiction! (hint…try to get it right in camera so as not to have to do too much in photoshop!)
Paula

24 Melanie December 27, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I have PS Elements 6 and I don't know how to use it. I just started blogging a few months ago and a lot of people told me they use Picasa to edit their photos. I bought some actions and use those most of the time. I bought a class online to learn PS but still haven't taken the time.

I vote for the lounge pants too:)

25 Ginny December 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I have Elements 7, and I love my how-to book by Philip Andrews. He might have something for the full blown version, too.

PS – Thanks for the info on classical education, and I love your kitchen!

26 thedomesticfringe December 28, 2009 at 4:05 am

LOL. I'm hoping to lose 15 pounds by mid February, but new lounge pants sounds so much better. ;-)

Love your family photos. have fun playing with photoshop.

-FringeGirl

27 Jen @ Canadian Rhapsody December 29, 2009 at 12:19 am

A few others have mentioned it as well, but the Photoshop tutorials on Pioneer Woman are really great.

She has some free actions you can download, and you just click the button and it makes your photo sepia, black and white, desaturated, 'boosted', or whatever else you choose.

28 Me December 29, 2009 at 2:34 am

Edie…I cheat and use actions created by the pioneer woman and then I play with the layers. PW also has some tutorials on her blog like how to create storyboards, how to colorize a sepia photo, etc. Merry Chrismas!

29 Design A-Peele December 29, 2009 at 9:33 pm

looks great! I love fiddling around with stuff like that. Picasa (with google) lets you do stuff like that too!

30 Amy Kinser December 31, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I'm with you about the lounge pants. However, I have to slow down on my eating…Christmas has definately taken a toll.

May I ask what the coffee is you are drinking? Just pure curiosity. I love coffee and would love to know what your favorite is. I am drinking caramel apple pie, purchased at the Apple Barn in Gatlinburg, right now and it is oh so yummy.

Have a blessed New Year. BTW, your family and you are just beautiful.