The Story

by Edie Wadsworth on November 15, 2009

DSC_0845
I find that there’s a certain sense in which things are more than they appear. On the surface, I’m just painting another room. But then the emotions rush in and I wonder if this color therapy is one of many ways the creative heart heals itself. Am I forging a safe cocoon where the boundaries are clear and the dark days must be embraced for the beauty and transformation they inevitably bring? Am I declaring to my life-love that this space, these days, this passion is important. I won’t take it for granted. I won’t give it what’s left over. I will boldly declare—-with strokes of painted love—-that I am in this—–heart and soul.

So, maybe it’s just walls and brick and mortar. Maybe it’s just paint and pictures and 20 year old furniture.
Or perhaps it’s more? Perhaps it helps to tell our story. The story of loss and love and passion and triumph and forgiveness and brokenness. The story of one deeply stained who has been graciously redeemed. The story of one who has been baptized into death, to walk in newness of life.
What if your walls could speak? What story would they tell?

This project is still in progress so I’ll be forthcoming with colors, etc. I listened to Brandi Carlile’s new album while I painted this weekend—-another form of wonderful therapy. Her song Pride and Joy is unbelievably powerful and speaks of the complicated relationship we have with our children and parents. She’s coming to the Bijou Theatre in Knoxville Feb. 10th. Girls night out anyone? The first time I heard her song ‘The Story’ , I was reminded that there is something in music and art in general that touches on the divine. And everytime I hear this song, I’m so thankful for Steve—who knows my story—-and loves me anyway.

OH, and the winner of the ‘live life in grace’ necklace: Sara from Upon Suggestion! Congratulations Sara. Send me an email with your address and I’ll mail you your lovely necklace!

1 SmallWorld at Home November 16, 2009 at 12:53 pm

Love that song and Brandi and I am thinking seriously about that concert as a b-day gift for my husband. Last year I got him tickets to see John Prine at the TN Theatre, so that's always a big hit.

2 kimmcl November 16, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Hi Edie, I'm a new follower to your blog and a big fan. Your post struck a chord with me this morning as I've been debating on whether or not to share my own story – very deep and sometimes dark – on my blog. It would take a huge leap of faith and I'd probably lose a few followers. But somehow I think it might be therapeutic. We'll see. Have a nice day, Kim

3 Micah November 16, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Edie, Your story and walk is healing others as you share. God is always working both sides. He heals you as you walk it out…your walking it out is bringing healing to someone else…Thanks for being willing and honest. I am just one of the many being affected by your obedience.:)

4 Songbirdtiff November 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I saw Brandi Carlile and the Indigo Girls about a year ago. They were wonderful live!

Music certainly helps to tell a story, and, I think, creating helps us come to terms with our own.

5 Donna November 16, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Beautiful song! Thanks for sharing!

6 jen November 16, 2009 at 3:40 pm

i've wondered that the most as this past year my sisters and her three girls moved into the childhood home of my father — who also housed at one time my uncle after a tough time in his life, my cousin's family when they were in between moves, my young cousin who was cared for by my grandmother while his dad was in rehab, my grandfather who suffered a stroke and was in the home for years, my granmother who supported EVERYONE through all of this — and to see my 14 year old niece live in the same bedroom as my dad did when he was that same age, i just couldn't help but think every time i was in the house — wow, if walls could talk – the love and support and care yet heartbreak that has occured in this home! and now it sits vacant for the first time in 50 years. i bet the walls are lonely.

7 Lanie's Life November 16, 2009 at 4:10 pm

For me, music sometimes is the only way that I can truly feel the Divine near. It can move me to tears! I have to agree with Micah…..you never know who is being affected in a much needed way by what you (and we all) share on our blogs. Thanks :)

8 Jennifer November 16, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I agree with you… it is all so much more! It is our heart, it is our life, it is our story! That is why we can get so emitional seeing our finished projects/painting/decorating. Because in some way it's our love we are putting out there.

9 Heather at All A Flutter November 16, 2009 at 5:45 pm

beautiful post, beautifully written, as always.

10 Richella November 16, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Oh, would there ever be a story. Mostly I'm thankful that the story is still being told. And it will end well, thanks be to God. Isn't it exciting to be coming up on the season of celebrating the birth of the One who ensures for us the fact that our stories will end well?

11 thebloomingandgrowingblog November 16, 2009 at 6:35 pm

I've been devouring your site since I discovered it a few months ago. I come back because you seem like a kindred spirit. Now you have confirmed it. I'm a Brandi Carlile fanatic. Love her and sing The Story LOUD in the car and the shower and other places where I am alone. Hmm…the Bijou. My parents live in Sevierville. Perhaps, I need to make a February road trip…..

12 Love Being a Nonny November 17, 2009 at 12:09 am

I feel like this post has a deeper meaning…On the surface my walls would be made of brick…that's why they are on the outside. But on the inside, they are fragile and often get painted over.

Thank you for sharing your heart.

13 Stickhorsecowgirls November 17, 2009 at 11:11 am

Yes, creative outlets are one way a hurt can be mended. One of my blogging friends posted recently about prisoners who would soak M & M's in water to make "paint" from the food dye with which to creat art. It broke my heart, in a way, because it was such a plain illustration of the absolute NEED to create art. Thanks for your post. C.

14 Meredith November 17, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I absolutely believe it is color therapy! Thanks for sharing what's on your heart (and walls).