12 Days of Handmade Christmas Tutorials Day 6 {Tassels}

by Edie Wadsworth on November 6, 2009

Thanks to Darby, The Nester (Day 2), Sandy (Day 3), Denise (Day 4), and Heather (Day 5), we’re all ready to make this years’ Christmas gifts a little more ‘from the heart’. I love the ideas so far and can’t wait for you to see what’s still to come. Yesterday, my computer server was down from 8a until 8p! I felt like I was locked out of my own house while there was a fabulous party going on—-standing at the window knocking, begging to come in—watching while everyone sipped champagne and laughed and hugged and visited. I even had to call my sister (who lives an hour away) and have her hack into my blog to publish the post! Then, to add to the fun and distraction, the fed ex man delivered my new (used, bought on eBay–with my yard sale money) sewing and embroidery machine. The girls and I have been in heaven— trying all the funky stitches and even embroidering a tea towel. This is gonna take some practice but we’re giddy about it and ready to sew some more handmade Christmas gifts. The girls were teasing their dad about embroidering his scrub shirts for him. Just dandy! BTW, I got a Viking Designer 1.

Now, without further delay, meet my dear friend Mandi, who is a wonderful mom and fellow creative spirit. She has been so encouraging to me over the past year and I’m so excited to feature her here on my blog. Welcome Mandi!!

Hey friends! My name is Mandi and I have a little blog called Mandi Shandi’s. The fabulous Edie was one of my very first “Blog “friends, and we all know how super cool she is (no editing Edie!), so when she asked me to take part in this fab 12 Days of Christmas Party she is having, I was thrilled! I will warn you that I am not typically the best tutorial writer.I am super-busy mom of 2 young boys,
(Me above, and those rowdy boys below.)
and I get distracted easily, but I’m taking extra care this time to make sure I get enough pictures and give detailed instructions. If I manage to leave out any details that you need, feel free to hop over to my blog or e-mail me. Who am I kidding? I hope you come over and visit my blog regardless! I love making new friends!
Let’s get this party started! This is what I am calling the Ultimate Tassel Tutorial because I am gonna give you so much info. that it may qualify as overload, but you will be able to start making decorative tassels immediately.
I recommend you start off by gathering your supplies. You will probably need to shop for a couple things, but most crafters already have a lot of this stuff on hand.
Wood Candle Cups- Available at all craft stores in the unfinished wood section.
Small Screw Eyes- Available at Target, Wal-Mart, or any hardware store.
Ribbons, Trims, Fringe, or Yarn- I am a Hobby Lobby girl. I think their prices are just hard to beat, so most of my embellishments come from there when it is on sale. You can also find nice fringe at Hancock Fabrics.

Hot Glue Gun and LOTS of Gluesticks.
Maximum Adhesive Glue- I use E6000 (not pictured b/c I ran out, but you can get it at Wal-Mart or craft stores.)
Topper or Small Figurine- I pick up small figurines everywhere, even the Dollar Tree at times. I also like to use Christmas ornaments because they already have the eyehook in the top.
Drill- Ideally you would use a jewelry drill, but I use a regular drill and am very careful.
Since this is a Christmas party, I am gonna make a Christmas tassel using an ornament. I can skip the drilling part. Normally though, you would start off by drilling a small hole in the top of your figurine. I always put a little glue in the hole to make sure the eye hook stays in. Screw in your eye hook.
Next glue your topper to the candle cup. I use E6000 for this and usually let it dry for atleast an hour. Run a pretty ribbon through the eye hook and tie it in nice bow or knot. Make sure it is long enough to hang properly after tied. I cut my ribbon between 10 and 12 inches.

Now the fun starts. I line up my trims and get busy picking colors. I have found that my tassels look most balanced if I use the widest trims on the bottom and work to the smallest ones on the top. I line my trims up in this order.
Once I have picked the bottom layer, I take it and roll it up to see how much it will take to fill the inside of the candle cup. When I get a good idea, I cut the fringe at that length, add a strip of hot glue and roll it back up.

Then I thoroughly glue the interior of the candle cup, and stuff my rolled up fringe inside. It should be a tight fit.

I cut my ribbon in equal lengths and get it ready to glue. It typically takes between 4 and 7 strips of ribbon, depending on the diameter of the ribbon and the candle cup or dowel rod you are tasseling. The hot glue dries fast, so it is best to already have your ribbon cut. Make sure if you are making loops and your ribbon is printed, that you glue the printed side down so when you loop it the print will show.
Keep adding layers until you reach the top of your candle cup. At this point you will need something nice and fluffy to round out the tassel. I say fluffy, because that type of fringe is the most forgiving if you don’t get it just perfect. It also covers the bond between the topper and the candle cup so you want something thick. You could also add bows or ribbon. The sky is the limit.
Last but not least, carry your new tassel into the bathroom and blow it with the hairdryer. This eliminates all those pesky hot glue strings. Now its time to find a home for your new beauty. Hang them on doorknobs, lamps, furniture, or even ceiling fans.
And just in case you need a little more inspiration to get you tasseling, here are a few favorites that I have made recently.
There you have it. The Ultimate Tassel Tutorial. I hope I was clear enough on my instructions, and if you make some tassels stop by my blog and let me know. I’d love to visit you and see them all!

Hugs! Mandi

1 domesticatedbliss November 6, 2009 at 1:11 pm

OOOO….AAAHHHH! Great craft for the holidays! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

2 Wonder Woman November 6, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Oh how beautiful! Loving these.

3 Jessica November 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Thanks Mandi, they are beautiful. I've always wanted to make some. Edie, I'm loving your "12 Days", but kicking myself for selling my new and unused sewing machine. I love that your new embroidery machine is the Viking model…it's only fitting right? :) Maybe you should spray paint it purple.

4 Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk November 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

SCREAM — I get it now and I love it!!!!! Thank you SO MUCH!

5 Homemaker, MD November 6, 2009 at 1:37 pm

LOVE THESE! And man, have I thought about getting an embroidery machine. I have a basic sewing but want to monogram every linen in my house. I can't help it, that's what we do in south carolina…

6 Julianna November 6, 2009 at 2:18 pm

I have looked and looked for a tutorial on this very subject. Thanks so much! The candle cups were the missing link…

7 Melissa Stover November 6, 2009 at 2:43 pm

great tutorial. can't wait to try these.

8 philben5 November 6, 2009 at 2:52 pm

I am so appreciative Edie for these tutorials! Thank you Mandy as well as I have so desired to make some of these myself and now I have been educated to do just that!
Blessings
Roxanne

9 ~Kathie~ November 6, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Another great Christmas gift idea!!

Thanks so much for doing this 12 days of Handmade Christmas–it is so much fun to get new ideas!!

10 Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster November 6, 2009 at 3:11 pm

These have a serious adorable factor to them. I am on my way to Hobby Lobby this morning to get some of those candle cups.
Thanks!
Nancy

11 marie November 6, 2009 at 3:25 pm

These are so cute ~ everyone of them!!

12 Rebecca November 6, 2009 at 3:43 pm

THANK YOU so much for this tutorial! Now I know what I'm doing for Christmas gifts this year!!! :)

13 marty (A Stroll Thru Life) November 6, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Great tutorial. I love all of the pretty tassels that everyone makes, they are always so unique and gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

14 Its So Very Cheri November 6, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Super cute, my favorite so far. I just did a tassel tutorial on my blog and am having a tassel making party on the 17th.

Some people don't know this but that E-600 Glue is DANGEROUS stuff. It is band in the state of California because of cancer. Just an FYI–had a friend die after using it.

Cheri

15 BlueCastle November 6, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Beautiful, Mandi! Great tutorial too. :)

16 Jennifer Poppy November 6, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Perfect! I so want to run to Hobby Lobby this instant!

17 Heather L. November 6, 2009 at 7:20 pm

LOVE the tutorial! Your tassels are amazing, I can't WAIT to get mine =)

18 Renae November 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Love it!
I just stumbled across your blog and I love how your are featuring crafts for the holidays!!!!

19 Kimm at Reinvented November 6, 2009 at 8:35 pm

MUST. MAKE. A. TASSEL. I looove these, just have always been afraid to try. Now I'm confident AND inspired!

20 Randa November 6, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Super-cute!!! Thanks for sharing!

21 Denise November 7, 2009 at 12:42 am

hmmmm, the secret is out! It's been a candle cup all this time. Quite clever!

22 Sarah November 7, 2009 at 1:53 am

Wow Edie, that was one amazing tutorial… and she said she wasn't good at tutorials! I love, LOVE, L-O-V-E all the tassels. I can't wait to give them a try. And, congrats on your new machine. When I got mine this summer I monogrammed EVERYTHING. I too threatened my hubby's scrubs… but settled on his boxers. Every night when he went to bathe my kids and I would swipe his boxers and monogram them. It became a nightly ritual. I think he secretly liked it! ;> God's blessings on your weekend and keep the inspiration coming!!! Sarah :D

23 Kim November 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I love tassels and have been meaning to make something like this. Thanks for the lesson.

@cheapchichome

24 {Bellamere Cottage} November 12, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Oh my goodness………I had a plan in my little head for doing these for Christmas gifts and have been collecting LOTS of stuff for the big day….I LOVE yours. Very, very clever and just lovely.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

25 Christmas Deals for Camera December 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

Its essential to have having access to the knowledge posted here