Graduation Garden Party

Edited to Add:  I’m excited to join Kimba’s Garden Party and welcome all you Kimba friends to my blog.  She has been such an encouragement to us all.  I’m planning to host (if Mr. Linky cooperates) a ‘Painted Patio Furniture’ Party next Monday so I hope you’ll join me.  If you don’t have any furniture to paint or don’t have time, just show us what you’re planning to do!   I’ve painted some already as you’ll see in this post, but I’m hoping to do a fun project to show you by Monday!

Warning:  longest post known to mankind
As I sit here with puffy, tired eyes, and aching legs, I am so thankful for the wonderful celebration we had for Taylor on Saturday.  The weather was beautiful and with the help of many family and friends, I think we were able to communicate to him how special we all think he is.  My wonderful, supportive sister (and beloved Rock Band partner) spent the night with us after graduation on Friday to help me with the party.  I absolutely could not have made it through this weekend without her.  She knows that. We cried together watching Taylor’s video.  We laughed together looking through old pictures.   And she chuckled at me as she helped me hang the last ‘dropcloth’.   She kept me ‘on task’ when I needed to stop spray painting things yellow to  start making food and then when the guests arrived, she made me leave the kitchen and enjoy the party.  I love you, sis.  I thank God for you in my life.  Taylor is lucky to be loved by you.
The hardest part for me was finishing the video and having it ready to play by party time.  It was down to the wire, but we (my sister and I) finished it and even burned a few copies to share with family.  It turned out wonderful.  Thank you for your song suggestions.   I ended up using:
1.  As long as you’re not leaving
2.  Kite
3.  Flies on the Butter
4.  Then there’s you
5. How FAr We’ve Come
6. Say
7. Times Like These
8.  Song 42
9.  Hold On to Me
The video was twenty minutes long and though I’d love to share it with you, I haven’t decided yet if it should be made ‘public’.  I may end up showing you parts of it.

The party was mostly outside, by the pool and gardens.
A few months ago, I found this table and two chairs (which are now yellow) on the curb at my neighbor Sues’ house.  I hauled ‘em home and gave them new life!
Sue said they were rusting and surely ‘you can’t paint plastic’.   ‘Rust’ is no hill for a climber.  And I will at least attempt to paint anything.
The food was just perfect.  Thank you to all my friends who helped out.  And to my sister who helped me assemble all my appetizers.
These two sisters (my mom and Aunt Rosie) were like professional catering staff.  They took over the kitchen and didn’t sit down all day.  Until this moment late in the evening.  Thank you both for your tireless work.
Taylor’s great grandmother came and after watching his video and being reminded of his signature ‘cowlick’ as a child,  she inspected underneath his shaggy hair to see if it was still under there somewhere!    Too cute.
>Please pray for Andrews’ continued recovery.  After our party, he became very ill and ended up in the hospital with acute appendicitis.  The very day he was supposed to have his own party. We love you and are thinking of you Drew.
We are so thankful for our friends and neighbors.   Especially Kristi and Leigh Ann who went above and beyond the call of duty to help us.
And we are so thankful for family!  You made Taylor’s day by making the trip!
I think this is my favorite picture from the weekend.  I feel a little like Elea.  I will watch you leave with longing, with joy, and with anticipation.   “For I am confident that He who has begun a good work in you, will perform it until the day of Christ Jesus”.
You’re free to fly!

31 Comments

• Magic Brush says:

That looks like an amazing celebration! He looks alot like you! Great job on painting those chairs yellow… yes….EVERYTHING can be painted!!!!!

Enjoy your Memorial Day! Blessings, Jennifer

• Holly says:

Congratulations to Taylor, and to you Mom! It looks like it was a beautiful day. . .

• Carmen says:

Wow! Congrats to Taylor! What an AMAZING party!!!! Everything was perfect!

• Jeannie Jett says:

I thought about you all day Saturday! Hate that I was out of town. Paul said it was awesome. Your house and backyard look great! Everything turned out amazing!!!! Love the new fairy dust on the blog too!

• Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista says:

You have such a beautiful home! I am always so inspired by the wonderful pictures!

• Sandra says:

Congratulations to Taylor and to you! I love the picture of great grandmother inspecting for his cowlick. :) My 11 yr old has a cowlick too. lol
    I’m so excited to be planning my son’s graduation from university! Wonderful memories:)
    Sandra

• Jessica says:

That’s beautiful Edie. Love the last picture. Tear.

Don’t hate me but I just met John McCain. Yes, I got pictures and I’ll never wash my hand again!

• Connie says:

He looks like you and you did it mom…you grew one up to go on to adulthood. Congrats to all. Enjoy the video over and over…I did one for my husband’s 50th and I love it! Cry every time at the end…what good memories! No go make some more! Connie

• Ivy Morgan says:

edie, looks and sounds like y’all had a grewat time, congrats to both of you :)

• Buzzings of a Queen Bee! says:

Edie, it looks like such a fantastic party. I’ve been looking around your blog for a good while because it’s been awhile since I’ve visited…love the kitchen photos! But I have to say more than anything I loved reading posts about Taylor…you’ve got me with tears in my eyes now! I look at my little ones and know this time will go so quickly. You have a way of expressing those feelings of mothering so well. Thanks for putting so much of yourself out for us. :)
    Carrie

• Marie says:

Great photos of what looked like a wonderful celebration! My son graduated last year – and just turned 19 this month. I really don’t know where the time goes! Weren’t we just dropping our boys off at Kindergarten?
    Blessings,
    Marie
    blog://emmacallsmemama.com

• cindy says:

oh edie, i am going to miss taylor….i love you!

• Sharon says:

What a beautiful family celebration! Congratulations to Taylor and thank you for sharing it.

• Mandi says:

Looks like the party was all you hoped it would be! I am sure Taylor felt appreciated and loved. It is always so special to get family and friends together for any type of celebration. Also, your pics are phenomenal!

• Kasey Hunt says:

You have the cutest outfits I must say. I really like your style. What a beautiful day for a party. I love your table display with the food. That sign in chalk is just darling. Family is important to me as well. I’m glad you have a close family too. Kudos to you on the chair and table find, that looks great too! Have a great day.

• TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo says:

Congratulations to you all!
    It looks like you had a wonderful party! Amazing how life changes so fast!
    Have a fantastic week!
    *Tricia

• Lisa says:

I found your blog through Nester. I love your painted kitchen. Congrats to your son. I LOVE the dress you have on with him and the cake, where did you find it???

• TidyMom says:

Just BEAUTIFUL! your family, your home, your food, your post……..

Congrats to all of you!

~TidyMom

• glimpse of my world says:

Edie, what a beautiful day.. What a special day!! Our son is graduating June 6th — the last one in the nest!!
    Bittersweet!

• FOR THE SAKE OF TIME says:

What a beautiful celebration! Someday you will look back on all of this and realize how quickly time flies. Once you set them free your life is forever changed. I loved watching ou two grow but now they are blooming. I ask for God’s greatest blessing on your son.

Charla

• Tennille says:

Oh Ms. Edie! You did an amazing job! I just don’t know how you do all that you do but more power to you girl!!! Love the pool-reminds me of an island getaway:)

• Deidra says:

"Rust is no hill for a climber." I might just have that inscribed in my entrance hall! Congratulations to the graduate. The party looks spectacular!

• Roeshel says:

Wow! What a fun party area! The party looks like a huge success! Congrats to the graduate!

• Laura Ingalls Gunn says:

Best wishes to the graduate and congrats on a wonderful party!

• Stephanie says:

Seriously love your backyard!!

• Kim says:

Looks like a fabulous party. My son just graduated from High School too. Your pool area looks fabulous.

• Kimba says:

It looks like you had a great time! Congrats to the grad!

I love all the beautiful colors that you have outside. It's beautiful.

Kimba

• Nicole says:

You want me to spar orlando taxi services with Carlos Navarone.
    I can’t believe this orlando taxi services guy. I have been using taxis for
    rent. Ooh, orlando taxi services your girlfriend Janet called.
    One place in London that is known for their local
    and friendly minicab service. When you need them.
    That poor young girl. In addition he had many interests
    outside school including scuba-diving and the Scouts.
    Service with a smile. What you need to get out and enjoy the
    adventurous journey of ancient Roman road called Akeman Street.

• Howdy! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how
    to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird
    when viewing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that
    might be able to correct this problem. If you have any suggestions, please share.

With thanks!