If I had a salon, I’d call it COIFFEDINGRACE…..

by Edie Wadsworth on January 27, 2009

I didn’t write this on Friday, but it is kinda funny. Here’s what I started singing when Taylor agreed to let me cut his hair:

“I got skillz….they’re multiplYing….and I’m loooooooosing contro-ol….for the power you’re supplYing …It’s ELECTRIFYING”.  I sang it all night long.  Then I tried to find my Grease video.
Meanwhile, he sat in the chair looking scared.  I shoulda got a ‘before’.  It was a shaggy, mangy mess with near dread-locks.  This is much better.  Look, he has eyes. Don’t look at me like that. I’m your mother.  And I love you.  And I know that musicians can’t have jacked up hair.  Just trust me. Don’t I look like a professional?

Photobucket

Now just to fill you in on a little trivia, my mom was a ‘beautician’ as we called it back in the day.  So I grew up in the salon.  I saw more gray haired women get their hair rolled than you could shake some scissors at.  I went to slumber parties for the sole purpose of ‘fixin’ everybody’s hair.  And last year when I went to visit Donia with my angel friends Donna and Sue, I begged to get my hands in their hair.  I can do a mean do.

Photobucket
I think I’ve got a pretty rockin’ technique.  I’ve seen it done so many times that I really feel like I know what I’m doing.  Of course, I don’t.  But that’s not the point now is it?
Photobucket
Look at the dexterity….the precision….the shear skillz (bad pun intended).  Never mind the outfit.  I’ve got more important things to worry about than whether or not I have on my lounge pants at 7pm.  Which I do.  But whatever.
Photobucket
then Emme demanded to ‘style’ it for him….
Photobucket
We mean business at this salon.
Photobucket
So, what do ya think?  Would you let me cut your hair?  Or at least let me tease it and do Farrah Fawcett bangs?
Photobucket
I think I’ve proven that I have very happy customers.   And I’m cheap.
Photobucket
There are a few people who don’t trust me and would rather play rock, paper, scissors.
Photobucket
I like my scissor skillz way better.  It’s a beautiful thing to cut your own son’s hair!

1 "Hello... It's Me Again..." January 27, 2009 at 3:08 am

I think you are a great beautician! You hold your mouth just right and all turns out great! I’d let you cut my hair!

2 Jessica January 27, 2009 at 3:17 am

You singing that song would scare me too! He is one brave soul, then again you are a pro at many things so I’d probably just hold my breath and close my eyes. Glad you mentioned the lounge pants cause I was just about to. Oh wait, I’ve had mine on the entire day. :)

3 Musings of a Homeschooling Mom January 27, 2009 at 4:25 am

Your lounge pants are cute! His hair looks great! You are one talented woman! The song cracked me up!

4 Christina January 27, 2009 at 4:47 am

This made me laugh. My son jumped up in the chair two hair cuts ago and said, “I just want it cut enough so I can see.” His is a little shorter now, but at the time I was just glad to see his eyes.

I’ve never been serenaded getting a hair cut.

5 Kathy Eller January 27, 2009 at 8:32 am

Red pants are always WRONG. Lounge or not…so why do I always own a pair?

When I got dressed this morning, my daughter was really excited because she thought we were going somewhere–do I not normally get dressed?

I NEED NEED a haircut and the highlights that I used to have naturally and now am forced to pay for with money that I don’t have….I’d let you do it! In a heartbeat! Come on over!

6 Mandi January 27, 2009 at 11:54 am

You are such a hoot! I am actually a “beautician” and you definitely have some mad skills! Loved the grease reference, and yes I would let you cut my hair!

7 Do it yourselfer January 27, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Can you cut mine at the conference? And make sure you sing!

8 Sheri January 27, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Dylan’s was fairly long (not long, but long for the buzz cut kid) the only problem with that is: 14 year old boy+puberty=greasy hair. He came in the other day and announced that he wanted a faux hawk (fohawk?). I practically beat him to the master bathroom (our salon). I miss his long hair though, I really liked the way it looked on him. (shhh…don’t tell)

9 paperjunk-lc January 27, 2009 at 2:06 pm

So many boys his age have this hair style I call it the swooosh! My hairdresser says boys request it all the time. I’m amazed how some of them keep the swoosh from failing in their face. BTW I think you did a great job.

10 Sandy Toes January 27, 2009 at 2:44 pm

How funny and cute!!! You are just full of some MANY ‘Trades’!
-sandy toe

11 gina January 27, 2009 at 7:05 pm

lol. Now you’ve got ME singin it … and looking for my GREASE DVD.

You did a great job- he’s fit for an Abercrombie and Fitch ad.

12 Miss JC January 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Oh, what a fun blog! I would SO let you cut my hair…my lounge pants come on about 4:00 every day! :)

13 Hi! I'm Kirsten... January 27, 2009 at 9:28 pm

LOL in “shear” joy! I’d let you cut my hair any day Edie…

and I am still in my lounge pants at 4:30 pm. Just ate a fried egg sandwich for brunch at 2:30. Productivity sometimes demands one not adhere to a “normal” schedule. That’s my story and I am sticking to it. I haven’t cut anyone’s hair today but I have gotten a lot done! Here’s to a society of working from home with our lounge pants still on all day long….[ok, now that's getting a little carried away!]

14 LuLu January 27, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Looks good to me! Tried to cut my 3 year old sons hair and he had no part in it! cried till i gave up!
LuLu

15 Jessica January 28, 2009 at 1:33 am

OK so I’m having my first ever GIVE AWAY, hope you’ll stop by and enter it. Drawing will be in a few days. :)

16 The Hicks Family January 28, 2009 at 3:20 am

I think Taylor’s hair looks great. Derek declared Andrew had to get his cut this week. I think you cut just the look Andrew is looking for but can’t seem to explain it. We may have to come by. Will you sing and dance and have chocolate chip cookies too!!!!

17 patty January 28, 2009 at 6:49 am

hello ms edie:
thanks for making me laugh… i needed it tonight. i just “saved” my first blog.. not brave enough to post it. too personal? need to talk to you, so i’ll try to call tomorrow. at a descent hour.!

18 Mc Allen January 28, 2009 at 7:25 am

ohhh yeahhh you did great!!1 he looks aqesome, now your on the hook foreva!!! Hmmm, how well can you do “short and sassy??” ;) LA