Less is more……….

by Edie Wadsworth on October 28, 2008

As I ponder the upcoming holidays and yearn for less commercialism in my life in general,  I love this song by Eddie Vedder taken from the Into the Wild soundtrack.  As you read the lyrics to the song “Society”  ,  look to the right and hit play.   Enjoy his sultry voice too!   Since the time a few years ago that Steve and I stepped off the proverbial treadmill of the ‘rat race’ , we have continued to look for ways to ‘scale back’ our lives and our holidays.   That’s not always easy to do when we  were used to the rat race full speed ahead…..which always translated into more ‘stuff’ and trips for us and our children.   So,  we will continue to embrace the philosophy of less is more.   What about you?  Do you struggle with this too?
It’s a mystery to me

we have a greed
with which we have agreed

You think you have to want
more than you need
until you have it all you won’t be free

society, you’re a crazy breed
I hope you’re not lonely without me

When you want more than you have
you think you need
and when you think more than you want
your thoughts begin to bleed

I think I need to find a bigger place
‘cos when you have more than you think
you need more space

society, you’re a crazy breed
I hope you’re not lonely without me
society, crazy and deep
I hope you’re not lonely without me

there’s those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you’re keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can’t do that…

society, you’re a crazy breed
I hope you’re not lonely without me
society, crazy and deep
I hope you’re not lonely without me

society, have mercy on me
I hope you’re not angry if I disagree
society, crazy and deep
I hope you’re not lonely without me

1 Sandy Toes October 28, 2008 at 11:54 am

I do agree with you but sometimes it’s hard…I see it in my kids and me..sometimes the “simple” things do not appeal. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the “worlds” stuff!

2 edie+steve October 28, 2008 at 12:01 pm

I know Sandy. I struggle with it alot. Nobody loves pretty things more than me. We’ve just tried to reign it in a little. A few Christmas gifts versus a gaudy ToyRus display to which they would say “Is that all”.

3 Jessica October 28, 2008 at 1:49 pm

How crazy! I was just having those same exact thoughts less than two minutes before I sat down and read your post. I was thinking about getting ready for Christmas and more birthdays. I got that panicy feeling like I have SO much shopping to do. Then I remembered we’ve been keeping it simple for several years now. It allows us to not only live within our means but to help others and to focus on the true meaning of Christmas. The holidays become so much more enjoyable!

I think simplicity is such a great lesson for kids. It’s tempting to see the way most of the world celebrates Christmas and feel like we have to follow or our children will feel bad. Instead, I remind them that less is more.

Like it says in Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

I still have a long way to go, there’s a lot I could do to scale back. With all the pretty and fun things we are constantly tempted with, it will probably always be a struggle.

4 edie+steve October 28, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Jessica
Oh I know it will always be a struggle for me. It’s fun to know that others are trying too though. I’m so schizophrenic that today I feel so convicted about this and tomorrow I’ll be lusting after some gorgeous new something. I guess it’s more a mindset that we know those things will never satisfy! Thanks for your perspective.

5 Jessica October 28, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I’m totally that way too. Just yesterday I belted off an expensive, long, birthday wish list to my husband. Of course I don’t really want him to buy everything on the list, but it would be fun. I always feel like I must be a hypocrit but I guess I’m just human…imperfect. As long as we keep trying right?

6 Queen to my 3 Boys October 28, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Wow, do we ever struggle with this. We are more & more conscious of it all the time.

We feel like we are being led by God to travel. I mean 'really travel' not the resort kind of travel. I think this will be more magnified with that experience.

7 Kristi October 29, 2008 at 4:45 am

HI there, I found your blog tonight (I can’t remember whose I came from, LOL) and I couldn’t agree more. We have always done “simple” Chrismtas’ and birthday’s for our kids. Believe me, they don’t go without and aren’t deprived in anyway! But I just believe that if we have a mountain of gifts, what is there to look forward to and what is actually special?
I have tried to scale back on buying for the neices and nephews as well, but that didn’t go over to well with the family. It’s not that I don’t want to buy them things, it’s that what do they REALLY need? How about taking that money and making a donation to a organization you believe in. Just things that are on my mind as well!
By the way, love your blog! And the story about the 22 week old newborn moved me to tears. I just gave birth to my 3rd child 3 months ago, children are a gift from God. :)
Kristi

8 Davisix October 30, 2008 at 2:01 pm

Another great post, Edie. We try so hard to teach our Things that Christmas is about others. But, do we struggle? Oh yes we do! This world of ours is so tempting. I pray that each year we become less and less selfish and more and more Himfull! Ang