Some of you have heard my vicious rumor so let me put enquiring minds to rest. Yes, I am planning to homeschool Emme and Elea next year. There, I said it. I feel empowered to make it public now that I’ve gotten overwhelming support from my husband and my mother. I’ve secretly always wanted to do this and with my daily phone call from school about Emme’s “tummy ache” along with her absolute lying on the ground and begging me to do it…..I have to say that I am convinced that this is one of those must-do’s in my life. You know those lists of 100 hundred things you must do before you die? Yeah, well for some reason homeschooling is on my list. Here’s what I know so far….
- I will use a classical model-a blend of Charlotte Mason and Susan Wise Bauer. Their books are must reads for all moms interested in education. They both emphasize using great classical books as the basis of education and history as the central theme for organizing learning.
- We will follow a four day curriculum and use Fridays to do art, music, science, library visits, etc. Oh, and yoga–at least for me.
- Books, which had already sort of overtaken our living room, are now everywhere. Trip to Ikea is planned next week to purchase book shelves.
- Our year will be centered on ancient times through the fall of Rome. The history lessons, literature choices, art projects etc will all be from that era. Steve kinda wants to stay for history class!
- I get these looks from Emme randomly and I feel confident that what she is thinking is “Are you suuure you can do this?”
- I think I’ve read 20 books this week— I had no idea how much preparation was involved.
- If I’m a total flop or completely lose my sanity, are any of you available to tutor my children or drive me to the nearest mental hospital?
- My playroom is slowly but surely being morphed into a school room. I don’t think the neighborhood kids like this idea very much. Pictures of this transformation will be forthcoming.