Give Thanks

by Edie Wadsworth on November 22, 2011

So, how long have you and I been going steady? Like 3 years, I think?
Well, except for that time you broke up with me when I posted about Loretta Lynn.
And okay, the mullet made you a little uncomfortable.   And the bluegrass.

But all and all, we’re pretty solid, you and I.  I would totally hold your hair back in a crisis.  I adore you.  I do.

So, I wanted to say thank you. For meeting me here so faithfully after all this time, through all these trials and all this joy.
For rescuing me from despair when my life fell apart.
I am so humbled that you come. And that you make it okay for us to be who we are.
You are like family to me. I couldn’t be more blessed by having you in my life.
A few goodies and links to say thank you!
I made this banner 2 Thanksgivings and 2 kitchens ago and hope to make time to print it out again this year. Link up in the comments if you print it and post about it!
DSC_0839

DSC_0842

DSC_0845

The pdf files for the letter are here for you to download and print.
G in Give
I in Give
V in Give
E in Give

T in Thanks
H in Thanks
A in Thanks
N in Thanks
K in THanks
S in THanks

Here are some links of food I’m making, in case you need a few last minute ideas.

Obviously, this list isn’t complete.   At least my family hopes not.

But these were easy to find and I hope all your dishes are wonderful and tasty!

Chocolate Banana Cream Pie by Emeril—don’t make it until Thursday, it doesn’t ‘keep’ well.

Green Bean Casserole–-Alton Brown (an alternative to the cream of mushroom version)

Red Velvet Cake—Cuisine at Home  (I’m making the one from Cuisine at Home, which has no online link but it’s close to the one I linked to.  It’s made in 2 8×8 pans and then the cakes are sliced in half to make a 4 layer cake.  The sides aren’t frosted so you can see the red—it looks amazing!  I made the cakes already and froze them and will ice them on Thursday.)

Parker House Rolls—Martha Stewart  (I make these every year and they are amazing!)  Make on Thursday.

Vicki’s Olive Salsa—appetizer    (Stevie LOVES olives and thinks it’s a downright disgrace not to have olives on the Thanksgiving table.)

Crab Rangoon Dip—appy (new for me this year)

Oyster Dressing-–Pioneer Woman   (I make sausage dressing too but I LOVE oyster dressing and so does Grannie.   And I think we’re the only two but try it and lemme know!)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins—I already need to make another batch!  They disappear so fast and are perfect for a lazy after-Holiday breakfast!

And here’s my fail proof turkey method—–LOW and SLOW.    We don’t eat until 6 pm so my timing is based on that.  If you plan to eat at noon, you need to put that baby in the oven at 2 or 3 am.

I start with a 20-22 pound turkey and soak it in a salt water/apple juice brine either overnight or at least for a few hours.  (about a half handful of salt and one container of apple juice and then submerse in your sink by filling the rest with water.      At 6 am, I turn the oven on 300 while I prepare the turkey.  I pat the turkey dry and stuff it with sausage stuffing.   I them rub softened butter over the outside skin.    Put into the oven and leave at 300 for an hour and a half.  Then reduce the temperature to 250 and cook for several hours.   At around noon, I check it to see how we’re progressing.  If it seems to be cooking along very well, I often turn the oven down to 200 and leave it for the rest of the afternoon.   Sometimes, I turn it down to 200 but after checking it at 3 pm, if it’s not starting to fall apart, I increase the temp back up to 250.    There has never been in the history of the world a juicier turkey.

LOW and SLOW.

It’s the key to all of life.

******************

I leave  you with this prayer for the home!

Lord God, our home is among the most precious gifts we receive in this life.

We realize this all the more as we remember our Lord Jesus. He set aside home and family. Having no place to lay His head throughout His ministry, he chose to sojourn among those He came to save. We prayerfully invite Him to dwell in our earthly abode even as He continually invites us by Word and Sacrament to dwell forever in our heavenly home, which He prepares for us.

Make us ever grateful for this shelter from life’s storms.

Keep this house always the home of comfort, joy, peace, and forgiveness.

According to Your will, protect this home from the spiritual assaults of Satan, but likewise make our home a fortress against the calamities of nature and the wickedness of sinful man.

Grant us the virtue of hospitality, the joy of harmonious living, and the blessing of gathering around Your Word and bringing our families’ prayers before You.

May all who dwell in our home be blessed by Your presence and Your peace,

and may all who go forth give thanks for the grace they receive from You, through us, Your dear children

We receive Your loving kindness in our home as a reminder of the eternal home we inherit through Your Son, Jesus Christ, in whose name we pray.
Amen.
{prayer taken from the Lutheran prayer book which can be purchased at Concordia Publishing House.}

Sweet blessings on your  home this Thanksgiving season.

1 ginawilliamsh November 23, 2011 at 1:59 am

Sissy, I can’t wait to be blessed this Thanksgiving by you and your amazing house!  We are looking so forward to this special time together, making memories along the way!  Thank you for all you do to make this day of Thanks each year in our family a day that we won’t forget.  Especially with all the great food! Can’t wait!  Love you!

2 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm

All will be right with the world when you get here!  Love you and hurry up now:)
xoxo

3 Laryssa November 23, 2011 at 3:02 am

Oyster dressing is a family tradition for us! It wouldn’t feel like Thanksgiving without it.

4 Shayne November 23, 2011 at 3:02 am

So excited that you shared your secret for the juiciest turkey ever!  My turkeys have always been okay, but that’s about it.  I’m trying your hints this year!  Most of all, thank you for the prayer for our homes.  My Lutheran prayer book sits on my shelf, and I never thought to source it for such a beautiful, true-to-what-I-pray-for-my-family type of prayer.  Blessings to you and your family.

5 Gina November 23, 2011 at 3:05 am

I always love to see other’s menus. I love the idea of eating late so everyone can visit and not be in a hurry. I am fortunate to still have my grandparents so we will be eating at their house. I love our southern country dishes (shuckey beans, cushaw pie, stack cake) and look so forward to it every year. I’m sure this Thanksgiving will be very special for your family. You have so much to be thankful for, as we all do!! :) Oh, and I am baking a red velvet cake for my son-in-law’s birthday for when they arrive tomorrow. I am using a new recipe but plan to check yours out. ;)

6 {darlene} November 23, 2011 at 3:10 am

Happy Thanksgiving.
I love you, dear friend!

7 Christy November 23, 2011 at 4:05 am

Yummy! I just might have to give the oyster dressing a try. Sounds delightful!! Happy Thanksgiving!

8 Betty B November 23, 2011 at 4:54 am

May you and family have the most thankful and joyful Thanksgiving.   You all deserve it. We here in Ontario,Canada have already celebrated our Thanksgiving but are looking forward to Christmas with all its blessings that God bestows on us.  God Bless you all.  Love Betty Baker

9 Vicki November 23, 2011 at 5:12 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

10 Adriane November 23, 2011 at 5:45 am

How does one theoretically go about getting herself invited over for your delicious Thanksgiving feast? Hypothetically, of course.

11 Abby November 23, 2011 at 7:27 am

Oyster dressing was a Thanksgiving/Christmas staple at my Grandma’s house.  Early on in my marriage, I convinced my Grandma to share her recipe (very similar to Pioneer Woman).  Well,  the first year I made it, I made a big mistake.  I picked up canned clams instead of oysters!  I used them anyway.  The mistake turned out to be a good thing.  My FIL & husband both said they wouldn’t have touched it with a ten foot pole if it contained oysters.  I now make it with clams.

Your menu looks yummy.  I can’t wait to check out the crab rangoon dip!
Abby

12 FunkySteph November 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

Happy Thanksgiving. Thank you for being there, thank you for this blog. Here in Luxembourg we don’t have Thanksgiving and I regret it every year.

13 FunkySteph November 23, 2011 at 10:51 am

14 Southern Gal November 23, 2011 at 11:52 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Edie.

Of course, your menu looks amazing. Thank you, thank you for the green bean casserole alternative.  My daughter was asked to make it this year and didn’t want the old version.  I’ll pass it on to her.  I want to try Tidy Mom’s wild rice, cranberry and pecan stuffing, too.  Only I don’t want to use it as stuffing.Funny, but all those posts you linked made me love you more – not break up.  Well, maybe break up laughing.

15 Southern Gal November 23, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Just to let you know, the green bean casserole link isn’t working.

16 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

just fixed it renee!  thank you so much for your tireless encouragement.
you are a dear and i wish you a blessed Thanksgiving.
xoxo,
edie

17 basketladydi November 23, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Oh my!  Everything sounds deeeeliiiish!!
Rejoicing this Thanksgiving for God’s generous provision in a new job for my husband after more than 2 years.
Rejoicing with you for his overflowing grace in your life….which spills over in to mine.
Happy Thanksgiving!

18 Tessa November 23, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Thanks so much for all the great links!  Just checking – is the H in THANKS a different font?  I was printing away and noticed it looked a little different.  Happy Thanksgiving to you … I can just imagine you as a mad woman in the kitchen right now!  :)

19 Tessa November 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

oops … the K looks different too?

20 Tessa November 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

oops … the K looks different too?

21 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 6:47 pm

oh i see that tessa! i’m working on it. hopefully i’ll have it within an hour or so :)

22 Tessa November 23, 2011 at 6:57 pm

thank you Edie – I am sure you have so much to do right now and I appreciate you fixing the font!  Right now we have GIVE TANS!  :)

23 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm

okay the ‘k’ is done—-now for the h!

24 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 6:59 pm

okay the ‘k’ is done—-now for the h!

25 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm

yahooooooza! i did it and i didn’t blow up the internet. :)
happy happy day friend!
xo

26 Beth November 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

oh, drat!  the k link won’t open!!  i have give thans.

27 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm

i’ve been trying to fix it, it was the wrong font. lemme check it again beth!

28 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 7:27 pm

beth, it’s working for me but since i’ve been *messing* with it, try closing my blog down and reopening. the fact that i’m pretending to give internet advice is hilarious :) xo

29 Neilacstone November 23, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I also have Give Thans! No K for me! I closed and reopened.
But love the idea, if I get the K to work!

30 edie wadsworth November 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm

okay now try?!??!!?
let me know if it works for ya :)
that particular letter was set to ‘private’ for some reason.

31 neilacstone November 23, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Got the K!! Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

32 neilacstone November 23, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Got the K!! Thanks so much and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

33 Michelle Starling November 23, 2011 at 7:53 pm

That’s a beautiful prayer.  Thanks for sharing it.

34 Tessa November 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I now have GIVE THANKS!  Thank you for fixing it … much appreciated!  Happy day to you!  :)

35 Pbhoney November 23, 2011 at 10:14 pm

So happy for you and yours! Happy Thanksgiving !

36 Maggie November 23, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! We are making Guy Feri’s (sorry i don’t know how to spell his last name..) Green bean casserole looks totally AMAZING!!!!

37 patty November 24, 2011 at 1:09 am

happy thanksgiving to you and yours, edie… and i’m tempted to take you up on the turkey advise. this is the second yr for a free-range bird and last year’s was, well… less than juicy for sure. :)
xo

38 susan November 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thanks for sharing this wonderful prayer…I included a link on my blog to it…hopefully it will be said at many tables this day.  And I will take your turkey advice…tomorrow.  We’re eating with family for the big day, but I thought I’d cook a turkey the next day to keep us full all weekend long.  Thank you!  Happy Thanksgiving.

39 teresa November 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Edie,
   Your post brought me to tears.  I know your day will be filled with warmth, laughter, thankfulness, and even a few tears in remembrance.  Lots of love to you!

40 Tara November 25, 2011 at 2:31 am

you are hilarious and I have a strong feeling that the way you write is the exact way you talk in real life.
I love that you liken our blogging relationships to “going steady.”

Happy Thanksgiving!!!  You are a dear person….loved your prayer…

41 Brittan November 26, 2011 at 4:18 am
42 Valarie November 27, 2011 at 4:30 am

I adore you, your blog and your zest for our loving Jesus. You inspire me to be a better person. I found your blog and have been going steady in your world for a year and 1/2. It broke my heart when you lost your home, you warmed my heart when you had the square dance at your home and wore cowboy boots, you made me a better mother, grandmother when you home school and share stories… my dear .. I am thankful for you!  Hoping you had the best Thanksgiving… see ya at Blissdom?

43 toko jual hp September 10, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with?
I’m going to start my own blog soon but I’m having a difficult
time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

The explanation I ask is because your design seems a variety of then most
blogs and I’m looking for something unique.

P.S Apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!