Reupholstered Sofa and a Chevron Pillow

by Edie Wadsworth on October 8, 2010

sofa before/after
This poor sofa sat in my dusty basement for ten years at the other house.
I always wanted to reupholster it. But you know, kids and life and laundry and such.
Then when we moved, it allllMOST went to Goodwill.
But instead, I persevered and took it to Wayne at Daniel’s ReUpholstery.
He’s meticulous and cheap and worked a miracle.

It’s a Cinderella story, really.  My dirty tattered old sofa has new life!
Thanks to my sister for helping me pick out fabric.  {I’m not easy to deal with at a fabric store,  this I know!}

Thanks to Sebastian and Sara for picking up my lamp at IKEA.

I used this tutorial to make my chevron pillow.  It was fun and I love it but I will not be making these for Christmas gifts.

I listened to this song at least 15 times while I made my pillow. I listened via my iphone and it kept playing it over and over again. I was too busy cutting stripes to change it and I also happen to love it. Then when I finally changed it, I listened to this song in a continuous loop forever.
Then I listened to them both on my run today and I’ve decided two things: 1) I wanna marry Stevie in January 2) Nothing speaks to my soul like good song writing accompanied by the banjo.
Amen. And amen.

1 mary katharine October 8, 2010 at 4:04 am

Love that first song. My brother plays the banjo. I’m wanting Hanson Ellis to give it a try. And then I hear her speaking Chinese and no matter how musically inclined she is, I just can’t see the banjo fitting into the picture:).

Blessings!!

2 jodi @ back40life October 8, 2010 at 4:23 am

love, love, love the sofa! the fabric is divine – great pick – know you’ll enjoy!

3 Laura October 8, 2010 at 4:27 am

I love it. The pillow is great!

4 cheryl October 8, 2010 at 4:32 am

you’re #1 cracks me up, i’ve thought the same thing….about marrying my tim of course ;) is that song not the best?

5 Dana A October 8, 2010 at 4:51 am

I love your beautiful coach. The material is perfect!!! I also wanted you to know that first song is now going round and round in my head!!! I love it!!! I plan on loading them onto my phone also! They are amazing! Thanks for sharing!

6 Kathy eller October 8, 2010 at 8:20 am

Smiles to you! You inspire me:)

7 Lisa Cash October 8, 2010 at 8:22 am

The couch looks fab-u-lous! And that pillow, which is really, really cute, looks like it would take 3 weeks and 4 days to cut it out and sew it up…I’m impressed. I also went and immediately downloaded that entire album – yea! – I’ve been looking for some new tunes. Thanks!

8 Southern Gal October 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

Two things or maybe three. First, that sofa looks amazing.
Second, I had never heard of the Avett Brothers until Amy at She Wears Many Hats posted about them this week. Third, thanks for sharing the songs. Oh, and fourth? That pillow is even more amazing than the couch. You’re good, girl!

9 Southern Gal October 8, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I just looked and they’re coming to our state fair! I’ll have to plan for that when we go.

10 Darlene Weir October 8, 2010 at 12:49 pm

love the music! I too love me some good song writing!
Just loving your chevron pillow. The yellow flowers just make it!!!!!

11 Kristi~The Slipcover Girl October 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

the sofa looks phenomenal! you have a lot of patience to do that pillow…and it looks gorgeous!!

12 laura October 8, 2010 at 1:34 pm

i loooooooove avett brothers!…and your pillow:).

13 Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality October 8, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Oh it’s all so pretty, Edie! Enjoy that new pillow. I hate sewing & put it off as long as possible.

14 Elizabeth October 8, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Wow it looks gorgeous! I’m feeling completely inspired, maybe we will keep our old L shaped sectional I so desperately want to toss. And I love the pillows!

15 Ami D October 8, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Can you ship me Wayne for a weekend? :)

I have a chair and matching ottoman that really need to be recovered but I have yet to find anyone in my area who will charge me less than the cost to just buy a new set which flies in the face of my recycling nature.

I love that sofa! It look so grown up but the pops of yellow make it more fun so I wouldn’t worry so much about curling my feet up on it.

Your pillow is divine. I think I would have nightmares about stripey fabric for weeks if I attempted such a project.

16 Leslie October 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm

It looks great! I have a couch that is in dire need of the same treatment, but I’m terrified to even get a quote. No idea where to start or what “reasonable” might look like in terms of cost…

17 Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 8, 2010 at 7:22 pm

looks fabulous! don’t ya just love a good makeover. it’s good for the soul. have a great weekend.

18 Becky @ Farmgirl Paints October 8, 2010 at 7:22 pm

looks wonderful girl. don’t ya just love a great before and after. it’s good for the soul. have a great weekend.

19 the domestic fringe October 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I adore your pillow! Your couch came out awesome too. It doesn’t look like the same piece of furniture.

Hope you enjoy your weekend.
-FringeGirl

20 Tara October 8, 2010 at 8:12 pm

are you renewing your vows in January?
that would be sweet…..

we’ve talked about doing that…this season in Orlando has been so healing for us..God has done a work in our marriage that we didn’t even realize needed to be done before we moved here….

love the sofa and especially that pillow. :)

21 Trish @TheOldPostRoad October 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Enjoy that style of music (must be my East Tenn. childhood!) Pillow and sofa look great! I’ve got to find some energy.
Have a nice weekend.
-Trish

22 New Every Morning October 9, 2010 at 1:53 am

Love the lamp!!! IKEA, you say?

23 Laura October 9, 2010 at 10:47 am

Edie, you ROCK!!! I LOVE the Avett Brothers!!! They are my husband and I’s favorite band! Aren’t they awesome???? I knew we were kindred spirits :-).

24 paige October 9, 2010 at 2:52 pm

what a glorious makeover!
seriously!!

we inherited a totally fab chair from my inlaws that i’m hoping to get over to be re-done…soon!

darnola
i’m at work & can’t open the links to your tunes from this computer. curiosity is killing me. stevie? as in nicks? my fave? will have to pull it up on mine when i get home

you’re awesome
oh & ps..i love all the aqua and orange in your header…gorgeous!

25 Celesta October 9, 2010 at 9:15 pm

The couch is lovely, but I’m most excited that you’re an avett girl. their music is soul satisfying.

26 Sara noah October 10, 2010 at 12:46 am

I love how the sofa turned out!!!! What room is it in? It is looking so cute!!!!

27 Sara noah October 10, 2010 at 12:48 am

I love how the sofa turned out!!!! What room is it in????