What do you do when your mom is a dork?

by Edie Wadsworth on August 12, 2010

You take a video of her, of course.

The girls are memorizing the books of the Old Testament. I happen to have been a first prize Bible drill winner and highly impressed their young strong minds with my mad skillz. Forgive the lack of makeup, the dishoveled left overs of yesterdays’ hair style and the fact that I’m clinging tightly to my morning coffee. Forgive me, I’m a dork, alright. But I challenge you to try to beat my swift 16 second recitation. My kids think I’m a genius. And I was tired of saying it over and over for them, so now they can just push play.
We are easily amused at the Wadsworth household.

Post Edit: Y’all are far too kind about the whole make-up thing but let a southern girl tell ya, it’ll be hard to ever break the make-up habit. And further more, lest you think that’s the natural me, what I meant by ‘no make-up’ was that I only had powder, blush, concealer and brow groomer on. Make-up is to me what hair was to Samson.

Which brings me to my next point. I showed the girls the following video after we studied Samson today. Because I’m not the only parent who is a dork. Amen.

1 Darby August 12, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I love this… you are so beautiful with or WITH OUT make up. I think you should go without more often! I might can say them faster than you… but my kids aren’t old enough to video tape me saying them. I may have to play this for them and they can say “Edie taught me the Old Testament books!” Miss you and hope you all are doing well!!!! xoxo D

2 Patti Brown August 12, 2010 at 4:27 pm

loved it…and I agree, you don’t need makeup! patti b.

3 Michelle August 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

You are gorgeous Edie. And whew boy do you say those fast.

4 stacey August 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Lol…I got Genesis, Hosea, and Ezekiel out of that. That was pretty fast!

5 ulli August 12, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Edie–you beautiful woman, you. Ditch the make up!!
Oh, and way to go on the recitation.

6 Julia in WDM August 12, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Wow. did you go on to debate team in high school?

7 Linda C August 12, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Ha- I was just about with you- I need to practice!:) Great job- that’s job not Job!- a little O.T. humor there…very little;)

I learned the books of the Bible in VBS back in the day (I’m 57:) – crazy how it stays with you when you learn it when you’re young.

Love the video- you look beautiful!

Linda C

8 Southern Gal August 12, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Yep. You are good and look great with no make-up. My kids were Bible Drill Winners, too. Amazing how young minds soak this stuff up.

And I really thought you’d have a deeper Southern accent for some reason.

9 Ruth August 12, 2010 at 6:10 pm

That was super fast. You look great. I don’t wake up in the morning looking that good. With this kitchen remodel work and most days I’m pretty sad looking. LOL

10 Gloria Chiras August 12, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I think you look beautiful without makeup….And I am most impressed with the recitation!

11 Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) August 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm

that’s awesome! what a fun mom. love how things that we memorize as a child stick with us….i can still sing the presidents to the tune of yankee doodle that i learned in 2nd grade….that was probably 21 years ago! happy thursday lady! xoxo

12 Gloria Chiras August 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I%20think%20you%20look%20beautiful%20without%20makeup….And%20I%20am%20most%20impressed%20with%20the%20recitation!

13 melissa stover August 12, 2010 at 6:11 pm

i can’t believe you wear jewelry when you don’t wear makeup. jewelry is the last thing i add. only when i’m going out.

14 Ruth August 12, 2010 at 6:21 pm

We will be starting in a couple of weeks. I want to begin a bit earlier with reading to the kids. This will be a fun and slower way to jump in. I am using IEW for the first time. I am currently reading a Thomas Jefferson Education and absolutely love it. I also want to read Susan’s book The Well-Trained Mind. We use SOTW, too and are on volume 4. Love it. Thanks for the links to her videos. Can’t wait to have some time to view them.

15 Renee August 12, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Love it.

16 Kimberly August 12, 2010 at 7:08 pm

You are so cute! I have enjoyed your blog for a while now (I found you when another blog I read referenced your gorgeous painted cabinets), but this post made me love you. I do not have kids yet, but I read your homeschooling plans and procedures and I just love them and hope I can do them one day. Plus I need to get those OT books down…I’ve got the first 5, its those last few/the rest of them that get me :D

17 Kristi August 12, 2010 at 7:24 pm

LOL I LOVE IT! You are the “John Nash” of Bible books!! You go girl, rockstar that you are! :)
xoxo

18 Tara August 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm

too awesome for words. if that’s what you look like without makeup, then by all means…go without it more often.

mad, mad, mad skillZ
very impressed.

now, when you get a chance, show me some more of your lake house. pretty please.

19 Talysa August 12, 2010 at 7:56 pm

You are gorgeous. Either you are just genetically blessed to not have dark circles…or you have found a cure. If it’s the latter please do dish. If it’s the former, I hate you. :-)

Love the memorization. That’s probably why you were a doctor and I am not. I do well to memorize my ss#.

20 nell ann August 12, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I am pretty fast with Genesis through the 1/2nds … and then I pick up speed again with Hosea, but almost always switch up the last four.

I do think I could beat you in a race to say the preamable to the Constitution. I memorized that in fourth grade. I’m the only person I know who knows it!

21 the domestic fringe August 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

You’re good!

Funny Bible song.
-FringeGirl

22 Cindy K. August 12, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I am impressed! Have you heard Andrew Peterson’s “Begats”? You’d like that I bet!

23 Staci Amy August 12, 2010 at 9:21 pm

You’re so cute :) I can sing the songs of The New Testament really fast too :) maybe I need for my boys to time me ;) heeehee :)

24 Lisa August 12, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I am so impressed!! I use to know them and now I am going to teach them to the kiddos and myself again…Thanks for the motivation. And this semi Southern girl always puts her face on too, and when I say no make up I mean besides the under eye concealer eyeliner and mascara. I need no help in the brows department ;)

25 Vicki K August 12, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Tim’s audience does seem a bit subdued! We love him from Cletus Take the Wheel and the Homeschool Family.

For some reason I can’t play your clip – argh. Will try again. Power to the Mom!

26 Vicki K August 12, 2010 at 11:27 pm

27 Lauren August 13, 2010 at 1:28 am

That is impressive. Wow. I played it twice it was so impressive.

28 Traci August 13, 2010 at 2:28 am

DANG, you got some MAD SKILLZ! Seeeeeeriously! I thought I was awesome because I can name all of the NEW Testament…although it takes me 2 minutes because I have to sing them in a song! haha!

29 Barbie August 13, 2010 at 4:00 am

You are beautiful, with or without makeup. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone recite the OT books so fast. Oh and my family has been watching Tim Hawkins videos all week long. He is absolutely hysterical!

30 Kara August 13, 2010 at 4:13 am

Oh my goodness! My fiance and I discover Tim Hawkins last week and have had a good time listening to all of his songs. And great job with the Old Testament. I’ve got half of them memorized still from middle school, but I definitely can’t do them that quickly!

31 Meaghan August 13, 2010 at 4:28 am

OMW!!! U re so adorable ;)

32 Kristi August 13, 2010 at 4:46 am

ROFL I just read your edit! that is MY no make up too, LOL! And I have discovered a new little jewel of a make up company that is having reach for it over my MAC powder, bronzer and eyeshadows. However, I still LOVE me some MAC eyeliner and lipstick! :)
Kristi

33 shelly@familyblt August 13, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Yowza! You said those fast! Love Tim Hawkins
(you look great too :P)

34 Jenny August 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Edie–just wanted to tell you that my 2.5 year old niece knows the books of the Bible because of a song. Her dad, my brother, put the books to “Old MacDonald Had a Farm”. She really knows them all, try it out.

God Bless you!
Jenny

35 Leslie Cude August 13, 2010 at 11:55 pm

So funny! I am a makeup gal too and have promised myself that I would put my face on before school so my children would not have to look at a scary face all day!! I usually don’t get all the way through eye makeup, but it’s my goal! I never care if my hair is fixed or not, but I do have some priorities;)

36 Talysa August 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Phew…I feel totally “freed up” knowing you have concealer on. Concealer is to me what paint is to wood…you know…makes it look a whole heck of a lot better. :-)

You’re still gorgeous.

I’m able to attend Blissdom this next time so I really hope I get to meet up with you and chat a bit. I will try not to be too obvious about my infatuation. ;-)

37 meg duerksen August 15, 2010 at 8:04 pm

oh how i love tim hawkins……he is so funny.
i laughed so much at his show.

your video is fabulous.
you’re beautiful.
and i don’t know how to recite all those.
i am grateful for the index.

38 melissa*320 sycamore August 18, 2010 at 1:01 am

Edie~you are adorable. I learned them by song, but wow, you are fast! Big hugs, Melissa

39 patty August 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

you are hysterical and you are beautiful without make-up!! and your voice is SO calm, as i imagine it must be as you are teaching your girls… sigh. .. :) they are lucky girls!