I know it’s somewhat necessary when you’re moving but I really don’t enjoy packing up my stuff. Books should be on book shelves. I’ve got three or four large baskets of books already that I’m sure I can’t live without until the move is done. When exactly do I think I’ll have time to read anyways? Thanks to my sister and her gracious help this weekend, my schoolroom/garage is almost packed. Almost because we still have to do school during the move.
And then there’s the brainstorming for the kitchen redo at the lake house. Number one design problem: two full size windows right in the middle of the kitchen. We have decided to leave existing walls and windows as they are, by the way. My solutions so far are as follows:
1. Expand the island space an additional 2-3 feet and do away with the ‘breakfast room’. The island will be a wonderful shade of island blue (similar to my current kitchen but toned down a bit) with white quartz countertops and seating for four.
2. Extend the cabinets on the back wall to nearly fill the space between the windows—that space will have a gas cooktop and a hood in the center of it and the upper cabs will go to the ceiling. The cabs on that wall will be a creamy white.
3. The side wall will have a counter depth frig and double ovens and a coffee center with cabs to the ceiling to maximize storage.
4. I’m considering a pantry style cabinet in the left corner of the room.
5. Other features: remove the existing light and add recessed can lighting throughout and three pendant lights over the island, apron front sink in the island, possibly adding simple shelving (glass maybe) over part of the windows in which to store pretty items and to help tie the windows in with the rest of the kitchen, add tile work where possible under the upper cabs.
So, here are my questions for you. Can you think of other ways to make the existing windows feel more a part of the room? Would you paint the railing (I’m not crazy about the railing) or maybe just stain it darker? None of the things I mentioned are set in stone YET so tell me your thoughts. I’m all ears. But hurry ’cause I will be ordering cabinets, countertops and appliances soon. And don’t worry, the existing cabinetry including the island will be used in other parts of the house.
I’m really excited about this move and if our first boat ride is any indication, it’s gonna be a wild ride. I’m holding on. Emme’s praying.