Here We Stand

by Edie Wadsworth on October 31, 2009

DSC_0554

Why did Martin Luther nail those 95 theses to the door of the church in Wittenberg? Why did he risk his very life so boldly at the Diet of Worms when he said, “I cannot and will not recant. Here I stand. God help me”?

One reason.
For the sake of the gospel of Christ.
Help us Lord to stand with You, to hold firm to Your eternal truths, to be captive to the gospel of Christ—which is the power of God unto salvation.

Lord God, who after long ages of darkness delivered the church from the bondage of error, we thank You for those faithful witnesses through whom you restored the gospel of Christ to men and we praise You that this blessed light has been preserved for us to this present age. We thank You for making known among us the Holy Scriptures which are able to make us wise unto salvation through faith in Christ Jesus, our only mediator.

Defend Your church against all her foes. Seek and save the lost and all who have gone astray. Preserve among us the pure Word and holy sacraments; turn our hearts from false and pernicious doctrine. Direct and strengthen us by Your Holy Spirit that we may abide in the confession of Your word all the days of our lives and in the end, by Your grace, obtain everlasting life. This we pray in the name of God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

1 Kristi October 31, 2009 at 6:09 pm

The gospel is that important…thanks so much for the refocusing of what is truly important. Blessings to you today and your sweet girls.
~Kristi

2 chanteusevca October 31, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Beautiful! Amen and Amen! I pray we have the strength to do the same as Martin Luther if and when the times comes to stand strong against the forces who want to refute and hush the Gospel the Christ.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6:8

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
John 13:34

Isn't it wonderful that we as individuals and collectively as the Church can read and study the scriptures and pray and worship? I only pray that our Christian freedoms will not be thwarted in the coming days.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
II Chronicles 7:14

~ Victoria

3 Get Your Martha On October 31, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Happy Reformation Day!

4 southerninspiration October 31, 2009 at 7:02 pm

happy reformation day!!! I love to find kindred spirits who choose to see THIS rather than ghosts and goblins. thanks!

Suzanne

5 Suzann @ The Olive Cottage October 31, 2009 at 7:20 pm

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

6 Love Being a Nonny October 31, 2009 at 9:06 pm

May the Lord bless you for sharing the importance of His word.

7 duchess October 31, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Amen!

8 Kathy October 31, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Beautiful job ladies!!

Kindred spirits? I could only hope:) It is sooo refreshing to see this today :)

9 Angie November 1, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Might have been the cutest thing I've ever seen!