I’m joining the Nester’s Price My Space party with my newly redecorranged breakfast room. (I just moved stuff around, nothing new here).
- Slightly damaged armoire that I bought 8 years ago for $150 at a local furniture sale. I love this beastly mammoth and just moved it from my dining room by myself (in a rare burst of hulk strength) to make room for a new piece I bought for my dining room. I kinda like it here, even though it doesn’t truly fit in the space. I’ve also entertained moving it the bedroom to store cute sweaters and shoes.
- French distressed table and chairs—bought 11 years ago for $1100. I think that was the most I had spent on furniture at that point in my life, but it’s been such a great investment. I still love the set and have resisted painting it many times. It’s beautiful, comfortable and just the perfect size for a breakfast room.
- IKEA window treatment–$39 for the pair! I love this pattern and it coordinates so well with my newly painted kitchen cabinets.
- Original oil artwork—-I love this artist—whose name I can’t remember or decipher–and have several pieces of her work. (I know it’s a she and she’s French.) I bought this for around $100 at an Art Finds home show. Look up the company online and attend a show if you can. They have great stuff at a fraction of the price you’d normally pay for original oil paintings.
- Various plates from TJ Maxx—I’m gonna guess around $40 for all of them. I bought several of them in the last few months on clearance and LOVE them all!
- Striped pillows from TJ Maxx–$6 each on clearance for a total of $24 . I had these in the guest room at my lake cottage. The colors work perfect here with my new kitchen.
Drum roll please: Total for breakfast room $1410. The lion’s share of the money is on seating, which Mrs. Nester tells me is how it should be.
Just for fun, I thought I’d show you, using Polyvore, what my new living room furniture (that I bought recently at a high-end furniture store for unbelievable close-out prices) sorta looks like (the colors at least). I bought ~$30,000 worth of furniture for $6500. 12 pieces in all, I think. I don’t have a blue armoire but am contemplating painting mine, and given the other colors in the furniture, I’m leaning to jewel blue paint or dark charcoal stain. You wood purists are gonna tell me to stain it, I just know it. Remember I’m painting the walls creamy-white. Whadya think?
Tune in later this week for more on my Creating an Environment of Learning series and a few peeks at my new furniture. You will definitely want to visit the Price My Space party for lots more fun. And I can’t say enough ‘thank-yous’ to the Nester for so generously sharing her creative life with us. She has set a high standard for how to positively use this blogging world to help and encourage each other.
Love your breakfast room and all the furniture pieces are just gorgeous. I especially love that fabulous hutch. Your drapes and accessories are just perfect. Hugs, Marty
Gorgeous!! Can't believe the awesome deals you've found!!! I especially love those curtains!
Julia @ Hooked on Houses says
It's all beautiful. I just love your style! It's amazing that you spent so little, and yet it looks like a million bucks. Bravo! 🙂
I love your hutch in your breakfast room…..great piece…..about the painting….i am not a purist and say PAINT away….look at the amazing results that you have had so far in painting!!!!!!!! Cant' wait to see the new furniture! by the way, I live near Bushnell where your son's band will be playing….we are thinking of going to see them!
Amanda @ Serenity Now says
I like your dining set a lot, and the window treatments are cute! Love the benches also. Visiting from The Nester's party. 🙂
Spencer Family 6 says
Hi! Love your breakfast room….especially the banquette! (Want one of those bad….maybe someday!) Your new furniture will be so much fun! Great job on an fantastic deal! I say …. don't be afraid to paint your new armoire or just take time to see it in the room and then decide if you should stain it! You could stain it first and then paint it if you change your mind…..ooops now I'm rambling!
You put me to shame. What furniture store went close out? I am over here near Knoxville…don't let any good deals pass me by!!
You have the "it" factor.
I love your beastly mammoth armoire – and I think you should go for the jewel blue in the living room!
Preppy 101 says
Love your style!! Love it!! Fabulous.
Fabulous pieces put together with such style. Love the curtains and the artwork. The plates and accessories are perfect!
Hugs, Nerina 🙂
Kimm at Reinvented says
Your breakfast room is perfect, bright and inviting. Can I come have a snack? Then I could drool on your cabinets too, 'cuz I've been wanting to do that.
TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo says
Love, love it!
I think I said that a few days ago. Oh well. Let's say it again.
Love, love, love it! 😉
Melissa Stover says
i say paint it. i love that blue! i need more blue in my house. i love your armoire and your table! i love your decorating style.
what a beautiful breakfast area! and your choices for your living room are gorgeous. i say paint. i am in the midst of my first staining project and i will never do it again. staining can be so unforgiving and painted furniture is so pretty.
Southern Fried Gal says
What a pretty breakfast area! You have great style! I love that hutch – slightly jealous!
Wow! That is pretty stinkin' impressive. Both rooms. Just Lovely!
Kathleen Grace says
Your breakfast room is beautiful! I love that hutch:>)
I love the bright happy space you've created! I'm really in love with your space…it's colorful and cheerful and certainly makes me smile when I look at photos of it!
Your armoire is to die for!! Awesome face lift!
Please check out my blog if you have a minute.
We're helping Natalie's Peace of Mind Fund
Stacey @ The Blessed Nest says
SO pretty! I'm in love with that glass front armoire/hutch piece!!! Just gorgeous! And you're right, would look great anywhere!! Your table and chairs are beautiful too, and so very ME! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
This room is ultra inviting and I'm sure everyone who visits ends up here. Am I right? I like the colors, and really think the plates above the window are particularly fetching!
A Bushel and Peck and Pigtails Paper Trails says
Love the long curtain rod and curtains but I especially love the cabinet!
do it yourselfer says
can i come live with you?
I love your breakfast room, but your new furniture took my breath away. I love your style and the fact that you were able to get such beautiful pieces at such fabulous prices! Awesome. Can't wait to see it all put together in your home. Just for kicks, I say – paint your armoire. I love that blue. 🙂
The Scooper says
Beautiful! So light and airy. I read a bit on your Creating an Environment of Learning series. Can't wait to return. I homeschool classically as well. It's always nice to "meet" a fellow traveler.
Very nice! I LOVE your hutch!
I seriously love your room! It's so bright and cheerful, you totally make me wanna redo a room on my home! 🙂
I recently found your blog and i love your decorating style…especially your old turquoise cabinets!!! I was wondering if you could tell me what the name of the Ikea fabric/pattern is? I looked on the website, and I see that they don’t carry it anymore, but maybe i could find some on ebay…i have a room they would look perfect in! 🙂
…Edie, i just found it! 🙂 Thank you…just wanted to say i found it on the site 🙂