31 Days|Day 8 Full Circle

by Edie Wadsworth on October 9, 2011

This post is part of series called “31 Days to Rebuild Your House and Heart” and I’m writing it to chronicle our rebuilding process after we lost everything in a house fire last December. You can start here and read the whole series. Thanks for visiting!
It’s been a little over 9 months since the fire.   There are days when it feels like it was just yesterday.

And thankfully, there are days when it feels like a lifetime ago.

Some things can be rebuilt fairly quickly and then there are the things that only time can heal.

Our landscaping was damaged beyond repair.   We lost several huge trees and all of our shrubs and plants.

Our house is complete on the inside but the landscaping is another matter.   We can’t plant a 30 foot tall maple tree or mature crepe myrtles and dogwoods.

Those will require patience and effort and lots of time.

And so it goes with the issues of the heart.

This new house fits me like a glove, every detail built for  how we live our life.

But just like all our earthly comforts, it is tainted with sorrow.  As wonderful as it is, it is still but a shadow of the real thing.

It draws us in and leaves us with a longing for our true home.

We must hold loosely to earthly things and pray that they be used in service of others.

The joy and beauty and comfort they bring to our lives are gifts from our Father, who gives graciously to his children——and always in the fullness of time.

p.s.

We made a little New Year’s Eve wager about when the house would be finished.   My ‘glass is half empty’  husband picked October 22nd and I scoffed and scolded him for being such a pessimist.  Looks like I owe him fifty bucks :)

1 Alisa Lamb October 9, 2011 at 9:12 pm

…and always in the fullness of time.  Thanks for that.

2 Ruth Emond October 9, 2011 at 9:35 pm

In time it will all come together. Your home and this journey has been in service to all of us as we have witnessed your faith in the lord through your trials.

Hugs,

3 Lauren October 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Congrats – it’s just gorgeous!  So so happy for you!  Hope you are enjoying this Sunday in your new home with a nice pumpkin spice latte by your fireplace!

4 Maggie October 9, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Amazing!!!!! I wish there was a video too!!!!! I hope there will be a video when the house is all complete:):):):):) Can’t wait!!!

5 Tara October 9, 2011 at 10:11 pm

such a beautiful home and such a beautiful heart to go with it….so surreal to sleep there, I am sure….praying for you all this weekend….praising God that you are back in your own home together again…..bet you’re sitting by the fire on that awesome porch right about now with a latte in hand.

6 Kim Brinks October 9, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Edie, Your home is beautiful!  I have thought about you so many times this weekend! I even told my husband, “Edie gets to move into her home this weekend!” Then, your post  today – just a precious reminder about our true home! Enjoy this blessing! Can’t wait to see more!

7 Celeste Bracewell October 9, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I have followed the saga of two houses…one a mature home, the other in-training.  May i return the blessing that is your blog…it warms my heart.  Love and light!

8 {darlene} October 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm

sweet edie!
we have been away celebrating our anniversary, but I thought of you many times, especially Friday! How gloriously happy I am for you as you begin this new chapter that God has ordained for you! MUCH LOVE and Celebrating!
- {dar}

9 Anonymous October 9, 2011 at 11:42 pm

May God bless you all in this new house and fill it with love.

10 Thelazyw October 10, 2011 at 12:33 am

Sincerest congratulations, and thank you for the beautiful spiritual parallels you always draw for us.  So happy you get to enter the holiday season in your “glove.”  xoxo

11 Kristi October 10, 2011 at 1:57 am

So happy that you are back in your home.  Each new memory, each prayer that is prayed, each goodnight kiss and morning madness will make it even more of your home.  It takes time to settle in…find the heart and feel of the home.  I’ve lived in enough places to finally figure that out! :)  It looks beautiful!!!
Blessings to you all~

12 the farmer's wife October 10, 2011 at 2:26 am

Edie!  It’s bee-yu-tee-ful!  There’s a wonderful analogy there just waiting to be discovered.  You’re far more poetic than I, so I’m sure you can expand if you’re feelin’ it.  Plants and spiritual growth and the time, tender care, and creativity that God puts into both…  What a lovely daily reminder to tend your plants and watch them grow as you move further away from this tragedy and rapidly into His amazing grace.

13 Amyecallahan October 10, 2011 at 3:30 am

Edie,
Don’t feel bad about the lack of landscaping! We moved into our new house one week ago, and we were only able to hydro-seed our lawn because of the horrible drought here. We were advised to wait until early spring to plant any shrubs or trees since it’s so dry. We finally got rain today, and most of our seed and topsoil washed away. We were sad, but grateful for the rain and mostly, just happy to finally be in our house. Are you getting settled? It’s a disaster zone here, and my garage is filled with boxes waiting to be unpacked. School must resume tomorrow for my daughter. Last week it went to the wayside with all the packing and moving. Hope you enjoy decorating and settling in!

Amy Callahan

14 Laura October 10, 2011 at 5:12 am

Edie–
I think we’re tracking again. The experience of longing…being in the reality of life now, but not as it should be…remembering the hope held out…
I just wrote about it too: “The Old Ennui”

Thanks for keeping it real and pointing us always toward the most real and most lasting reality–Christ.

15 edie wadsworth October 10, 2011 at 9:38 am

we ARE tracking again! except you said much more thoroughly and deeply and beautifully! thanks for sharing. great blog:)
xo,
edie

16 FunkySteph October 10, 2011 at 7:55 am

Yes rebuilding the “material” can go “fast” for the rest we need to give time to the time… But you seem to be strong and very well surrounded so you can only succeed ;-)

17 Nelda October 12, 2011 at 1:06 am

Your story is so inspiring and I love your updates.  Beautiful new home.

18 temecula photography November 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm

This piece of writing will help the internet people for building up
new webpage or even a weblog from start to end.