12 Days of Handmade Christmas Day 4|Quilted Potholder

by Edie Wadsworth on November 4, 2010

You’re gonna love todays’ guest poster, Alissa. She blogs at 33 Shades of Green and has a creative blog full of fun stuff. She has a great tutorial for a wrapping station, a screen porch that I covet, and many more goodies that you’ll want to see.  I’m so happy introduce you to her talented self!  If you’re just not the sewing type or if you’re interested in purchasing beautiful handmade items this Christmas, check out my friend Maggie Whitley, from Gussy Sews.  She has beautiful handsewn items in her shop and is featuring all sorts of artists and crafters this week on her blog.

Now, tell us how it’s done Alissa :)

Hi there.  I’m Alissa.  For as long as I can remember, I’ve felt the need to be creative. If I don’t have at least one project going on I feel restless! I’m an Interior Designer for an architectural firm and design commercial interiors. When I’m not working, you’ll find me sewing, knitting, cooking, baking, decorating, taking pictures, or pursuing some other crafty endeavor.
I share my projects on my blog, 33 Shades of Green.

Thank you Edie for having me over to Life in Grace today.  I got lots of great inspiration from The 12 Days of Handmade Christmas last year, and am so excited to be a part of it this year!

I am going to show you how to make a quilted potholder – a quick and easy project for any beginning sewer.

Supplies:
- Fabric
- Heat resistant batting (the one I used is called “Insul-Bright”)
- Sewing notions (needles, thread, scissors)
First, you will need to select coordinating fabric.  Make sure to pre-wash your fabric before use.

Cut your fabric.  I think it’s easiest to use a rotary cutter and straight edge on a self healing mat.   Here are all the dimensions.

I used a simple Log cabin pattern for the design.

The center square is 4″ and all other strips are 2″ wide.
Start sewing from the center out.  Use a 1/4″ seam allowance when sewing.
Here are the first two pieces sew together:

As you attach pieces, make sure to iron or finger press the seams toward the outside.  This way your finished top will be smooth.
Add the other side…

Then the next two…

Keep sewing until all pieces are attached.  Iron the finished top.
Your finished top will look like this:

Next, cut a piece of fabric for the back of your potholder.  Also cut a piece of the batting.  Cut both pieces to the same size as your finished top.

Line up the three layers and pin together.

Now it’s time to start quilting!
I decided to quilt squares using the top as a pattern.  Start in the center and work out.

I used the sewing machine foot as a guide to quilt the squares.  See how the edge of the foot is touching the seam of two of the fabric pieces?

Here’s the finished quilted top:

After all three layers are quilted together, you might need to use your rotary cutter and trim the edges.
Next up is making the seam binding.  Cut a strip of fabric 2-1/2″ wide.  You may need to attach a second strip so that the length is long enough to go around the entire potholder.
Iron the strip of fabric in half.

Seam binding can be a bit tricky if you haven’t done it before.  For help, refer to this tutorial.
Start by attaching your binding somewhere in the middle.

The folded edge of the binding is toward the left.
Sew very close to the edge.  Stop when you are 1/4″ away from the corner and remove from the sewing machine.
Fold the binding at a 45 degree angle like this:

And then back over on top of itself.

Continue sewing from the edge.  Repeat at all corners.
Here’s how the binding will look when it’s all attached:

After attaching to the front (use the link I listed for a great tutorial) fold binding over to the back.  Create mitered corners (shown in picture) and sew all along the back side of the potholder to attach.

For more information on the binding portion, which can be tricky, check out this YouTube video.

Your potholder is finished!

Thanks again Edie for having me over!

1 Southern Gal November 4, 2010 at 11:28 am

Yes! This is lovely. Since I’m mathematically challenged, is there any way to get the lengths of all the strips, too? Plus I’d love to see the back where she sewed the binding down. It’s a lot of fabric and I don’t see where it all went. Hope I’m not being difficult. Thank you for sharing!

2 Kendra aka "Domestic Princess in Training" November 4, 2010 at 12:22 pm

These are all great projects but lost on me since I can’t sew…….I’ll file them away for when I can! Learing to sew is on my MUST DO in 2010 list so I need to jump on it ASAP! I would love to make this pot cozy! I loved last year’s 12 days of Christmas……can’t believe I’ve been reading your blog for over a year. Time sure does fly!

Kendra aka “Domestic Princess in Training”

3 Rene November 4, 2010 at 12:48 pm

Alissa, that is the nicest pot holder I have ever seen. Seriously, love it!

-Rene

4 Dina @ 4 Lettre Words November 4, 2010 at 1:59 pm

These are just too cute…and would make great hostess gifts during the holidays!

5 Courtney @ andthentherewashome November 4, 2010 at 2:16 pm

This is a great tutorial!! These would make great gifts, and I might just make some for myself. Love the fabric you picked also.

6 ulli November 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I love this pot holder! Now I know what to make for our son’s girlfriend’s mother–an apron with two potholders! Some extras for hostess gifts, too. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!

7 Kara @ Launching Our Life Together November 4, 2010 at 4:23 pm

How stinkin cute! Love the easy edges!

8 Colleen November 4, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Seems so simple, but I’m sure I would have so much trouble with it. I need a sewing machine!

9 Brittany November 4, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I also would like a more in depth tutorial of the seam binding in the back. The link for seam binding also does not show how to do that part. For some reason my mind cannot wrap around how it would be done.

10 Elizabeth Highsmith November 5, 2010 at 1:47 am

i feel like the scarecrow, only instead of if only i had a brain it’s
if only i knew how to sew……

must remedy this tragedy because puh-lease what is life if you can’t be dorothy?

that little beauty puts my childhood loop pot holder in the corner with a dunce hat.

what talent!

11 Rhonda November 5, 2010 at 2:33 am

That is so pretty – what a lovely mix of green fabrics!

12 Julianna November 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I’m new to sewing, and I’d like to see a picture of the back of the potholder just to get a really good idea of how to do that back part–it can already be sewn together–just a picture of the back, please. Thanks!

13 Creative Mind November 14, 2010 at 6:32 pm

this is cute,,thanks for the tutorial….

14 bailey November 23, 2010 at 8:49 pm

The insul bright package recommends using a regular batting along with to absorb condensation – do you think that’s necessary? I did one that way and it seems pretty thick.

15 Corarussell January 31, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Loved your tutorial on the potholders. As a suggestion to you and others making potholders, don’t use polyester batting for a filler. It can melt. I like to use 2 to 3 layers of cotton batting, or 2 to 3 layers of denim from the back of the leg portion of worn out jeans.

16 Mavi_boncuk86 February 21, 2011 at 5:07 pm

cok güzel gercekten harıka anlatmışsınız

17 penny gallman November 19, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Nice potholder. But when you sew the two strips (2×4)) to the center square (4×4), it will be 4×7, due to the 1/4″ seams. It will not stretch to fit the next upper and lower strips (2×8) and the directions do not address this. This continues to the outer row. This could be a big stumbling block for new sewers/quilters.

18 Lynda Adair November 22, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Great potholder idea. Thanks for sharing this. I think this would be great as a scrappy project as well. Will be making some for Christmas gifts because it is easy and once you get your fabrics together, it will go quick! Which is the best kind of gifts to make this time of year!