Summer Soiree 2013 (aka The Best Staycation EVER!)

by Edie Wadsworth on July 8, 2013

Our week was wonderful and went a little something like this….

summersoiree

and this…..

summersoiree2

with a little bit of this…..

summersoiree3

and this…….summersoiree5

thrown in for good measure.

Because sometimes, you just need to laugh.  A lot.  And my people are nothing if not entertaining.

summersoiree12

The kitchen was on her best behavior and churned out a lot of good food.

Like this…..

summersoiree6

and this…..

summersoiree7

The frogmore stew (aka shrimp boil) was my favorite recipe of the week, so please add it to your summer list of things to do.  It makes eating into an event, not just a meal.

And the sauces that you make to go with the stew?  WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.  Don’t get lazy and think you don’t need sauces.  Because you do, in fact, need sauces.

The table looked all festive for the week, with her beautiful hydrangeas and bandanas.

summersoiree8

Not to be outdone by David, of course, who likes a little flair himself…

summersoiree9

So, we’re already lonesome for the kids, who left this weekend.

But, we washed all the sheets and swept up the cake crumbs and folded all the beach towels and are ready for round 2 of the best summer soiree staycation ever!  (JamieKnoxville and family are coming this week!)

summersoiree10

summersoiree11

More on all the food later.  I’ve got some awesome recipes to share!!

Hope your summer is sunny and bright, despite the rain (which we’ve had in abundance!)

Mucho love to you and yours!

p.s.  I’m speaking at the Becoming Conference in Asheville on August 9th and 10th and I’d love to see you there.  Jen just posted the full conference agenda so check it out and make plans to meet us there!!

(I’m so excited about the other sessions that I’m kinda sad I’m speaking.  I can hardly wait!)

becoming join me 2013

1 KIm Setser July 8, 2013 at 8:04 am

Wow, what a crew! Looks like some very colorful memories. I’ve been planning a Frogmore Stew party myself, I love a one-pot mess of goodness.

2 Edie Wadsworth July 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

Best party food ever, Kim!! And don’t skimp on the sauces. Trust me!!
xoxo

3 Christi {Jealous Hands} July 8, 2013 at 8:06 am

Looks like a blast!! xo

4 Edie Wadsworth July 8, 2013 at 9:51 am

SO much fun, Christi!!

5 Alicia @ La Famille July 8, 2013 at 8:11 am

Your hubby is wearing a Vikings jersey!! I love it! (in NC now but grew up with Vikings fans)

I love your stay cation. And that fooooood!!! Wowza!!

6 Edie Wadsworth July 8, 2013 at 9:50 am

He grew up in MN so he’s a BIG fan! Yes, my run was very S.L.O.W. this morning, thanks to all that good food! :)

7 Lisa M. July 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

Love all the red, white and blue in these pictures!! Looks like a bunch of fun! I have to attempt that rainbow cake!! Thanks for sharing!

8 Sandy July 8, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Wow! What a fun staycation! I’m just a wee bit jealous. Would love for both my sisters and their families to come. We did it three summers ago and had a blast.

9 tara lowry July 8, 2013 at 2:31 pm

always love seeing your clan together….
what fun people y’all all seem to be!

10 Essie July 8, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Your husband needs a new jersey. Green and Gold would be MUCH nicer. Especially if the number was 12 or 52. You know, just because.

GO.
PACK.
GO.

BTW, I love your dishcloth pattern. I’ve been knitting them like crazy- getting Christmas presents ready!

11 Ruth July 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Awesome staycation with family fun, great food, and friends. These pictures are full of so many good and fun memories. Perfect!
Wish I could be there with you at the Becoming conference. I know you will be great!!

12 Heather Clark July 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Staycations are the best…..both of my kids have grown up and flown the nest, so the best present we can get is when they are both at home (arguing like they never left lol). I live in Johnson City and am trying to work our my schedule so I can get to Asheville to hear you speak.

13 Lori H July 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm

What a fun and colorful stay cation! Looking forward to the scoop on the rest of the food. I pinned the Frogmore Stew!

14 Katie July 8, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Edie such a treat so see these photos and recipes. I am redecorating my bedroom as we speak with so much inspiration from you – loving your blog and your Compassion photos and journaling and everything. You are an amazing and inspring lady. Just moved a framed print from my livingroom to the bedroom – and its making it feel all brand new in here :) thanks for all the fantastic ideas and fun.

15 Elizabeth Highsmith July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Eat at Edie’s is on my bucket list like butter is on biscuits

16 Sarah July 10, 2013 at 2:04 pm

looks like a fun time!

We make something like “frogmore stew” , but around here we call it a Lowcountry Boil (this is SC and we like to claim the whole schebange started here…like shrimp and grits, you know?) Never did sauces with it though–will have to check those out!

17 {darlene} @ fieldstonehilldesign July 10, 2013 at 7:39 pm

will you adopt me?

18 Southern Gal July 11, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I’m with Darlene. I’m fun loving and can cook and clean with the best of them!
Fabulous family pictures.

19 Jessica Washburn July 15, 2013 at 9:33 am

Tell Stevie I’m diggin’ his Peterson jersey. I have one too….it’s gonna be a great season!! :)

20 Deborah July 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Ok. Very odd question but as a doggie lover I haven’t seen you golden in an pics for a while. Just wondering.

21 Meg July 19, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Edie,

As always your blog encourages and inspires! We often make Frogmore stew but without the sauces. Now- I am wanting to try it your way. What do you think? I am having a double birthday bash next weekend in my yard. Did you make something else with your Frogmore stew for people who aren’t into shrimp? We have 2 people coming who are allergic. But if you have any great suggestions for Frogmore stew plus other dishes, I am ALL ears:)