I ain’t gonna lie, this broccoli soup (with a generous helping of cheese) will knock your socks off and make you take back all the lies you’ve spread about broccoli.
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 T. olive oil
1/2 medium chopped onion
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
4 cups chicken stock
1 head fresh broccoli
fresh grated nutmeg, to taste
6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz fontina or gouda, shredded
salt and pepper
Sauté onion and celery in butter and oil until onion is translucent. Then, add flour and whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the half & half and chicken stock and stir well and then add the chopped broccoli and cook over low heat 20-25 minutes. With an immersion blender, blend the broccoli until it’s the consistency you like. We like ours to have larger chunks of broccoli but also some nice smaller bits. Just blend until it’s the way you like it! Add salt and pepper and nutmeg. The nutmeg is key!! Don’t leave it out. If you don’t have fresh nutmeg to grind, just add about 1/2 tsp. of ground nutmeg. But don’t leave it out. I’m bossy like that. Return to heat and stir in cheese, heat until melted and garnish with a little shredded cheese.
NOW. Here’s where I have to admit a little creative license. I am crazy over cheese and we have about 75 varieties at any given time. That might be slight exaggeration but not much. When a recipe calls for cheese, I just shop the fridge and see what I have. I would definitely use some cheddar in this but add something else for variety. Gruyere would be amazing. I had gouda and fontina and added those and it was AMAzing. It might have helped that the broccoli came out of my winter garden. That garden beats all I’ve ever seen. We’ve been eating out of that little garden since May. The goodness just won’t stop!!
Serve with crusty bread and prepare to be crowned Queen of the Kitchen. Or in my case, Queen of Bean Station. And even if you think you don’t like broccoli cheese soup, give it a try. This one might surprise you.
Tell me all about it. And if you’ve found some awesome recipes whilst zipping, link to them in the comments.
Check out some of my other recipes!
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 head fresh broccoli
- fresh grated nutmeg, to taste
- 6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz fontina or gouda, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion and celery in butter and oil until onion is translucent.
- Add flour and whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the half & half and chicken stock and stir well.
- Add the chopped broccoli and cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, blend the broccoli until it's the consistency you like.
- Add salt and pepper and nutmeg.
- Return to heat and stir in cheese, heat until melted and garnish with a little shredded cheese.
- Serve with crusty bread!