Winterplace, 2012 {and someone’s birthday!}

by Edie Wadsworth on January 9, 2013

Stevie and I are lucky enough to have two sets of kids; the older ones and the younger ones.  In other words, we started early and kept going, where baby making was concerned.  If you happen to have this same arrangement, you’ll identify with what I say. We were younger when the older ones were young. (duh?) So, we were more adventurous. Fearless, in fact.  We took them all to New York City for Christmas one year. {I get a panic attack just thinking about it.}

We traveled with them all the time; to the beach, to Disney, to the ski slopes, etc. We never hemmed and hawed about it. We just went.
Fast forward 10 years. We’re old-ish. We take a lot of Motrin. We like to sleep in our own beds.  We eat alot of  fiber.

We’ve got bad knees and torn calf muscles.

But our small ones are young and want to see the world.  They want to travel and eat out and have sleep overs.  You know, like their siblings used to do.

So, occasionally, we just have to buck up and do it.  And it was the perfect storm.  My birthday, the holidays, the restless crew—-Stevie took matters into his own hands and surprised us with a ski trip.  We packed a lot of motrin and a heating pad and up to the mountains we drove.

{Don’t you worry.  Stevie’s still got it :)}

He got down the hill like an old pro.  He’s actually a really good skier but he’s not 22, if you get my drift.

It didn’t take long before everyone was skiing and having a ball!

Even the least one got the hang of it by the day 2!  And it was so fun to have the older ones there to teach the younger ones.  It’s so much cooler to learn to ski from your 22 year old brother than from your mom!

As much as we love our homebody lifestyle,  traveling with kids grows you.  It stresses your limits and stretches you.  I’m glad we went.  And really glad we’re home!

We found this cute cabin on VRBO, owned by the nicest lady, who was so helpful in making our spur-of-the-moment trip possible.  You can rent one of three levels or all three if you’re taking a big party.  It’s ski-in, ski-out and is on an easy green hill so that those learning could get some good practice in.

Our dear (and younger) friends Sara and Sebastian joined us for a day and night of fun.  They brought raclette, which is fun Belgian tradition of communal eating over a hot plate with individual cooking plates.    We ate so much good food that night!

So, thank you Stevie for a great change of pace and for making us cool again to our kids!

For a short time, the girls don’t think we’re old fogies.  We’re young and hip and well, sore.

p.s. I got a little behind on my resolution fury but I did finish two books while we were gone—-Turning Pro: Tap Your Inner Power and Create Your Life’s Work
and The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles.  I highly recommend them, for those of you who are serious about finding your life’s work and doing it well.   I have so much to share about that, which I plan to do in my first ever newsletter, which will be sent out to all subscribers to this blog. Make sure you subscribe before Friday!  Get those books too.

Mwahhh to all you and hope your new year is off to the perfect start!

1 Sharon O January 9, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I have wondered how those rental homes work I am very picky about where we sleep and really don’t like hotels. Have stayed in bed and breakfast places especially if I am traveling alone. (which is rare) Glad you had a good vacation.

2 colleen from Alabama January 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I can relate to the old parent part! My husband and I got married a little late by most standards… I was 32, He was 27 :) gotta love younger men! I had my first child at almost 35 and my second 10 days past my 37th birthday. I sometimes wish God had brought us together sooner so we could’ve done more with them without running out of gas! I also wish that because my Firstborn was born on my dad’s 65th birthday and my children have never known young grandparents. It limits what we can do especially now that my parents are in their late 70′s. My kids (and their friends) would not think of me as “older” than other parents but I am exhausted most nights by 9:30! Still, I LOVE to ski and would enjoy taking them. I haven’t been since they were both babies but i think i would still love it, though soreness would definitely be a factor. So glad you got to go! What a blessing.

3 Terry A. January 9, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Happy birthday – sounds like a wonderful family trip!

I’ve had raclette, but hadn’t heard of a Belgian connection. Good eating.

4 elma January 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Oh it really sucks getting old:( Looks like such a wonderful trip!! We started young and had eight blessings :) and yes we eat mortin like candy:)

5 elma January 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I mean Motrin!!

6 Kathryn C January 9, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Sounds like a great birthday getaway! How is your leg/ankle doing? Were you able to ski too? Looks beautiful there. Would love to do that one day with my girls – they are just about the right age now…just when we are not :(! LOL. We are now both officially in the “new 30′s” ;) Happy New Year!

7 Ruth January 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Your trip looks & sounds fabulous. Everyone looks like they’re having fun. We take a whole lot of Motrin here, too. It is tough getting older.
Looking forward to your newsletter. I just put The War of Art on hold at the library. Unfortunately, they do not have Turning Pro.
Hugs

8 Amber January 9, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Oh Edie! This post made me giggle. Talking about getting older. I’m starting to relate to that. Gray hair, thinning hair, a bad knee for the past two months for no apparent reason. Looks like you had a great time, and that little cabin looks adorable and cozy. Happy birthday!

9 sheila January 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Happy Birthday to you, so glad God created you the way he did Edie!!

10 Sandy January 9, 2013 at 8:20 pm

We took our oldest and his wife and our youngest skiing at Jackson Hole, WY for Christmas. It was a wonderful trip. I don’t love downhill skiing but I think it makes me younger to keep trying things that challenge me. I hope it also makes me seem younger to them. P.S. I am 57 and a grandmother, I bet I have you beat in the aged skiing mom category.

11 Amy Avery January 9, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Awww Edie, I am so glad you all had such a wonderful family vacation and that you had such a memorable birthday. You could have fooled me that you are an old fogie. I think your the coolest, hippest gal around! :-)

12 Gloria January 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Happy Birthday! You know it is proven fact that the more bithdays you have the longer you live. Glad you had a good time.Do you have any info on cabin rentals in the Pigeon Forge area?

13 Julie January 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Happy birthday, girl! I’m cracking up that you were at Winterplace. My 2 oldest went there with the youth group right after Christmas & Grant broke his wrist snowboarding. Ugh! Glad you all had fun!

14 Kimberly Dial January 9, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Edie, Winterplace is in my neck of the woods. I live in West Virginia! Looks like y’all had a great time … you & the hubs are oh so cool! ;)

15 Southern Gal January 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm

That looks like so much fun. I’m a water skier, not a snow skier. Never been.
This sounds like our family. It’s sad, isn’t it? Our youngest is like an only child. The youngest hasn’t done theme parks as much as the others, but he’s had his share of fairs, festivals and the like. And it’s a beach trip every summer except for three of his 11 years. (That’s because his mama is a beach bum.) Is it bad for me to say I love it when his older siblings take him on adventures? Rock climbing and the like just aren’t in my repertoire. ;)

16 Kristi@TheThriftyGypsy January 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I can soooo relate to this and laughed through this post! I just turned 28 a month before Johnny and Kris. And 7 1/2 yrs later we had Madelyn. MY OH MY how things change! We are homebodies as well, day trip people! And Advil is a staple here!
But your trip looks like you had a GREAT time! ANd glad you got to go! Sometimes planning and getting there is the battle and a great time is to be had once your there! Love all your pictures! :)
My kids are begging to go to FL to see my parents this winter….. I am thinking I have to bring them since the last time we went I was 5 months pregnant with Madi who is now 4 1/2, lol! I start to panic just thinking of the plane ride….. ugh! ;)
Kristi

17 Susan January 9, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Wonderful photos – what fun. BUT as a resident of Switzerland (transplanted American) I must point out:

Raclette is Swiss :-)

Just sayin’ !

18 Janet Lawson January 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Looks like everyone had a BLAST…
Great family photos..
Have a wonderful week..

19 missy January 9, 2013 at 11:48 pm

One about to start driving this year and the baby is in diapers. I feel your pain…and I DO mean PAIN!!! LOL!

20 Shannon Fox January 10, 2013 at 3:32 am

Please…please, please, please wear helmets when you ski or snowboard.

21 Heidi @ Decor & More January 10, 2013 at 6:45 am

Oh, what fun!! Good for y’all for seizing your moments with those young ones — well, actually with ALL of them, where they are. We find with our blended and spread out crew, it is increasingly difficult to get everyone together. :) Yay for making time!
xo heidi

22 MelissaM January 10, 2013 at 7:54 am

Praise God for Motrin!! :)

23 Tery January 10, 2013 at 7:59 am

I completely understand and can laugh with you! I have a 22, 19, almost 16 and a 3 year old.

Yes we might be slower and sorer with our last one but we are definitely more patient and financially in a better place. Plus Ben our youngest has 2 extra “Moms” and one super cool older brother. It’s the best of both worlds…he is basically an only child with siblings.

I will keep you in mind the next time we travel.

24 Dana January 10, 2013 at 9:47 am

I am going to be that mother. I have an 11 year old, a one year old and am 7 months pregnant with our third daughter. At 33 I barely feel like I have enough energy to keep up…oh wait…I’m 35. I hope it’s just this pregnancy and I am back to myself soon!

25 Jennifer January 10, 2013 at 11:37 am

Oh Edie! We have so much in common. I’m a 42 yo Lutheran mom with four kids ranging in age from 3-19, all with the same daddy. I always say, “we started early and ended late.” Love the energy in my home. While my home will NEVER be featured in a magazine and I’ll never have the energy, patience and grace that you exude from this blog, I’m so glad I found it and you. You are my MUCH cooler sister. Love you! Thanks for all you do and share on here, you are an inspiration.

26 Julie S. January 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Happy Birthday! Just curious on the books by Steven Pressfield. Which one should you read first?

27 Katie Lynn Wetherington January 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I love Winterplace! I’m from GA and when I was in the youth at church, we would travel to WV every year for ski retreats. I loved seeing your pictures! I haven’t been in years and I’m dying to go back! I have also wondered about those cabins so it was nice to be able to see one of those as well! Glad you all had fun!

28 Marmee January 11, 2013 at 10:18 am

Ditto this post. We have a 19, 14, & 4 yo! The little is the only boy. A high octant, never stops moving boy so we feel super old trying to keep up. We do however keep on keeping on and save face with hot baths & also a lot of Motrin.
It’s really nice to read about families walking a similar path.

29 jenny January 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

Looks SO fun!
We are in quite a different season of life. We have four and they are all little! Our oldest is 7 and youngest is turning two in a few days. Life is FULL and FUN and BUSY!
One of these days, I will go skiing for the first time and take my kids for their first time too. But for now, we’re just going full speed with little’s and trying to soak up every minute of it. :)

30 Claire @ A Little Claireification January 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Happy (slightly belated) Birthday!!!!! Being on the computer all of the time I am noticing those aches and pains and yesssss. Grrrrl, I love being in my own bed!! This looks like such a fun vacay. Used to go to NC to ski when I was growing up. Will have to take my littlest guys – I forgot how fun having snow in the back of your ski pants really can be. ;) For now, I am going to check out the books you mentioned and I cannot WAIT to see you and Ruth at Blissdom! (bonus because I get to see her at BEECH Retreat end of this month – no kids… just Mama).
xoxo,
Claire

31 Lisa~ January 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Ha! I always read but never comment (yes, one of THOSE people). But I could so relate with the older set/younger set, although I also have a middle set….9 kids with no break….that I had to say something. My 5 year old thinks of me as tired and old, but my kids in their 20s think of me as active and fun. Same mom. LOL!

I am glad you took a break. Your blog is such an encouragement to me every time. Lisa~

32 Kelly January 13, 2013 at 10:17 am

I signed up but never received a confirmation email:( I definitely want to be on your email / subscription list, anyone else having trouble?

Happy Belated birthday! What a fun way to celebrate!

33 Michelle January 17, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I love Winterplace! We have taken our youth group there for the last 5 years. My husband, who just turned 53, is a very good skier and our youngest is even better. I forced myself to learn starting at age 42. The fear of falling at 30 miles an hour still scares the heck out of me but I’m trying and it’s a great thing to do as a family. I want to score one of those slope side houses one day!

34 Gina January 26, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Fun to see Winterplace on your blog. It’s only 20 minutes from where I live and husby worked there when we were in college.