Taco Casserole aka Mexican Hotdish

by Edie Wadsworth on March 26, 2012

taco casserole
You can thank Stevie for this taco casserole recipe because here’s exactly what he said at dinner.
Stevie:  ”Is there a recipe for this?”
Me: “No, I improvised because I’m so desperate to go to the store and had to use what I had on hand.”
Stevie: “I want you to go write it down right now because a month from now I want to be able to say ‘Let’s have Mexican Hotdish’ and have this dish magically appear.”

(he suffers from too many good dishes being forgotten because SOMEbody doesn’t use recipes)
Me: “Do I have to name it Mexican Hotdish?”
Stevie: “Ummm, that’s what it is.”
Me: “Ummmm, only if you’re from Minnesota.”

But really, the name ‘Mexican Hotdish’ makes me wanna salsa dance so I’m keeping it.   There’s far too little salsa dancing in the world as it is.  And the ‘guacamole’ portion of the name, you’ll be getting later in the week.  We ate the guacamole so fast that no pictures were taken.  It’s that good.

As for the hotdish, here’s what you’ll need:

1 1/2-2 pounds of ground beef

large onion, chopped

1 package of taco seasoning

2 T. ground cumin

4 cloves of garlic minced

1 can black beans, drained

1 cup of cooked rice

1 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes

salt and pepper to taste (I always salt as I go)

1 jar of good salsa ( I used some homemade salsa canned from last year but use whatever you have)

3 cups of crushed tor-tilla chips

1 16 oz container of sour cream

4 chopped scallions

2 cups of cheddar cheese

1 can black olives, drained and chopped for garnish

4 T. chopped jalapeños (I didn’t use fresh but you could) for garnish

Serve with chips and your favorite guacamole!

Brown beef and then add onion and garlic.  Saute until onions are translucent.  Add tomatoes, salsa, black beans, seasonings and rice.   Crush the chips and layer them in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.  Add the beef mixture and then layer the sour cream and green onions.  Cover with cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted.   Garnish with olives and jalapeños.

Serve with chips and your favorite guacamole and please your finicky kids and your foodie husband at the same time!

********************************************

And you DO NOT want to miss Angela’s nursery make-over at lifeingrace girls!  It’s almost as beautiful as Angela herself, whose blog is chocked full of fun and beautiful things!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Theresa March 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love the idea of adding rice to this kind of dish! My husband is from Southern California and LOVES Mexican food–I will be trying this soon!

2 angela conklin March 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

Oh my word, I am making this tonight! I LOVE what your hubs said about a month from now…love it!!

3 paige March 26, 2012 at 11:53 am

sweet jesus!
now i have dinner figured out!
mwah!

4 the domestic fringe March 26, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Sounds great! I’m going to make it. Thank you and I like the name. ;-)

~FringeGirl

5 Jennifer March 26, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Sounds so yummy! I’m going to add this one to my recipe book! Thanks for sharing. :-)

6 Peggy Johnson March 26, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I just finished making Mexican Hotdish for dinner. Sounds awesome! I love your blog. You have a beautiful family. Love hearing about the home schooling. I also enjoy the books you recommend. Thanks for being a blessing in my life. Peggy

7 Pam March 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Yum! It sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

Pam

8 bebba March 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Loved the article in tonight’s Tribune.
The only other thing I need to make your recipe for dinner tomorrow is a bottle of Tums. Everything else is in the fridge or the pantry. Welcome home!

9 michelle@Life on the Funny Farm March 27, 2012 at 7:22 am

Looks yummy. I love one dish meals that are quick. And who doesn’t love mexican food.

10 Kelly March 27, 2012 at 12:44 pm

i should really be commenting over on the “best ever chocolate cookie” post because i made them yesterday and you didn’t lie…. they ARE the best ever.

I have been following your blog for MONTHS and have never left a comment so i figured now is the time! I love your blog and wanted to let you know that you have another fan.

P.S. would love to hear more about how the chickens in future posts! my husband and i have been thinking about doing the same thing. we go thru a lot of eggs!

11 LLH Designs March 27, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The word “hotdish” made me laugh out loud!!! I don’t often make any kind of “hotdish,” but when I do, my sister LOVES to tease me with that very word. Not sure where she picked it up. {We’re Texas girls, and we say casseroles.} Maybe from a Minnesota college friend!

xo,
Linsey

12 Pru @ Perfecting Pru March 28, 2012 at 4:12 am

Oh Edie!

Everything about this recipe makes me want to run home and brown some beef and sit with a fork and eat all of this!

13 Nora August 20, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hi, Edie. I just wanted to come back and thank you for posting this recipe. I made it in March when you first posted it, and have made it once every month since then. My entire family loves it (is it the cumin that gives it the amazing flavor?) and it’s so versatile that I can make some substitutions (type of tomatoes) or omisions if I have to, depending on what I have on hand. Thanks, again.
p.s. We love the name “hotdish” !