my favorite irishman

by Edie Wadsworth on March 17, 2012

He was born in Belfast, Ireland in 1898 and his words have changed my life forever.
That makes him my favorite Irishman and my absolute favorite writer.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day in honor of ‘Jack’!

My top five favorite Lewis books?
1. The Problem of Pain

2.The Great Divorce

3. Mere Christianity

4. Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold

5. That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy, Book 3)

*******************

Y’all are killing me with your Disneyland comments!! Such entertainment.  BTW, the girls had the option of spending their last day in SOCal at Seaworld or playing ping pong with their parents at the hotel.  They chose the latter.  (Fist-pump!)

xoxo,

edie

1 angela conklin March 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Fist pump INDEED! P.S. LOVE Mere Christianity!

2 Sarah March 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

He’s my favorite Irishman, too. I was in Belfast a few years ago and made an effort to see all his “spots” –didn’t get them all in–so I must return! By the way, have you read The Pilgrim’s Regress yet? I was a philosophy major back in the day and I just loved that work of his, though I’ve rarely run across another who’s read it. Perhaps you?

3 Susan March 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Ping pong over Sea World! Your kids ROCK!!!!

4 Southern Gal March 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Of course, he’s your favorite Irishman. ;) I still have to read Till We Have Faces.
And the girls choosing parents over Disneyland? Priceless.

5 tara March 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm

LOVE me some CS Lewis!!!!

6 Jenica March 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Our life group is currently reading, “Words to Live By.” I would highly recommend it!

7 Gretchen March 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’m loving Till We Have Faces!!

8 ElizSeg March 18, 2012 at 4:02 am

I LOVE C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity is my favorite. My brother gave it to me when I was 17 and it spoke to me.

I also do not like Disney World. Something that leaves me in a total quandary is how grown, childless adults head there on vacation. What is up with that?

I will share that on the day my family first went to D-World in 1988, it was the declared the largest crowd in their history. Translation = sardines all day. Buzzkill. I still have PTSD when I see Micky. Not really.

9 Kim B. March 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Hi Edie! These are 2 of my favorite CS Lewis quotes,
“God, who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go through it, not without pain but without stain”AND
“You don’t have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.”
Good stuff!!
Love that your girls chose ping pong over SeaWorld, I guess that family that plays ping pong together stays together! ha ha!
Blessings!!

10 Ashley Johns March 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Oh Edie! That is one of my favorite quotes! You’ve got me craving to read a few more of his books. I haven’t jumped in all the way… and now you are bumping the books toward the top of my list. Glad you had a good vacation by the way.

11 Ruth March 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Love C.S. Lewis, too. I have a couple of his books on my must read list this year. Looking forward to getting to them. He was so talented and gifted with words. I could only wish that I had his way with words.