31 Days|Day 11 House Plans

by Edie Wadsworth on October 11, 2011

This post is part of series called “31 Days to Rebuild Your House and Heart” and I’m writing it to chronicle our rebuilding process after we lost everything in a house fire last December. You can start here and read the whole series. Thanks for visiting!
***Since I updated my blog, I’ve had lots of people who can’t comment.   I think if you click the ‘heart’ instead of the little comment box, it will work.   Will some of you who’ve had trouble commenting try that and see if it works?!  Thanks so much.  If you can’t think of anything to say, just type “I love mullets.”   K?  Thanks :)

Most of the time, the lot on which you plan to build will, to some degree, dictate the type of house you can/should build.

I was dying to build this house.

And I mean I REALLY wanted it.   Large porches and verandas and all farmhouse and southern looking.

But our lake lot is long and narrow and not conducive to a sprawling farmhouse.

That’s where a good builder comes into play.   Sometimes you need someone to tell you no.

My builder took one look at this house and said there was no way it would fit.

Then he told me the bad news—-that my house had to stay within a 40×60 parameter.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find house plans that are that size?

Thankfully, he brought several plans for us to preview the next Monday and we found one that we liked and could change to accommodate our unique way of life.

I learned a valuable lesson.    Listen to the land.   It will tell you what kind of house you need.    Narrow, steep lake lots need lake cottages…….not farmhouses.

We chose this one, with modifications.

But as it turns out, I  really got the best of both worlds.

And maybe it’s just because it’s late but it has just dawned on me that my house is a little bit of a mullet.

Business Small cottage in the front—–Party 3 story farmhouse in the back.

It’s brilliant.   The mullet house.

I love a good mullet regardless of the circumstance.

The front elevation has very interesting roof lines and the rear elevation is geared for maximum lake exposure.

This plan takes full advantage of lake living with abundant outdoor spaces and lots of large windows.

And it’s a mullet——so we all win :)

1 Brenna October 12, 2011 at 2:28 am

Where did the original house plan that you wanted come from? I love that style!

2 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Here’s a link to it Brenna!

xo,
edie

3 Tara October 12, 2011 at 2:32 am

only you would find a way to add the word mullet to your post.
and it’s why we love you.

4 Deidre October 12, 2011 at 2:33 am

Love the mullet reference for your home! Can’t wait to see the full home tour when you get it all put together. Love it all!!!!

5 Ruth Emond October 12, 2011 at 3:02 am

Ok-first, I loooooovvvve that farmhouse. Someday I may have a dream home like that. My brother, who has helped with our DIY projects including our kitchen remodel, and I sit and look through many magazines and home plans and dream of homes just like that.

Second, your house is perfect for that spot on the lake. Your builder did an amazing job maximizing the space available on your land.

Third, a mullet???!!! That is a reference that only you could make and it will pass. You had me laughing until I ache

Lastly, I am dising to see what you’ ve done inside that gorgeous house. How I wish I could jump in the car and drive down there and visit. How many hours from RI to TN? Maybe I better wait until my knee is better or I may not be able to walk even with my crutches

Hugs,

6 Ruth Emond October 12, 2011 at 3:02 am

Hugs,

7 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:23 am

i know ruth(ie)—-i always want to call you ruthie—–i’m such a tease, trickling the photos oh so slowly!  but it’s really not completely on purpose.  fluffing the nest is hard work and takes far longer than i’d like:).  plus, the series should ‘build’ to a beautiful climax, right?!  k, love you and NO rhode island is not too far.
xo,
edie

8 Ruth Emond October 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm

My family still calls me Ruthie. I don’t mind.

I can imagine all the hard work and hours you have been putting in to fluff your nest. I am so excited to see it all that it makes it hard to be patient. I am loving every little bit you reveal to us each day!!

Ruth(ie)

9 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

i always wanted to tell you that i linked to the farmhouse plan in case you wanted to bookmark it!

10 Southern Gal October 12, 2011 at 3:09 am

I like how you were able to incorporate the best of both worlds.  A house with a mullet.  Groovy.

P.S.  My  husband let my beautician mama put a perm in his mullet back in the early 80′s.  Yes, he did.  I have pictures to prove it.  He still says he doesn’t remember it.

11 Southern Gal October 12, 2011 at 3:09 am

12 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

ok, is there ANY way you can get us a picture of that?!  this post needed a real life mullet so badly but i got lazy :)
xo,
edie

13 the farmer's wife October 12, 2011 at 3:11 am

LOVE IT!  We’ve been talking about mullets at our house lately, too.  Our baby has the “baby mullet”.  You know when they’re a few months old and all of the baby hair has fallen out except for the small 1-2 inch strip at the back along the neckline?  He’s got it–plus about four VERY long hairs on top that never fell out, which I guess makes it more of a Dr. Seuss mullet and less of a baby mullet.  But I digress…

The mullet house.  It’s classic.

14 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:25 am

my son had a baby mullet and i regret to say we had it cut that way on purpose.
i do love a baby mullet though :)
i love ALL mullets for that matter.
loves,
edie

15 Laura October 12, 2011 at 3:15 am

I like mullets – and your not so bad either!

Congrats on your beautiful new home.  I know it is not the journey you would have chosen, but I so enjoy sharing in your new destination!

16 {darlene} October 12, 2011 at 3:16 am

{I have been clicking on the heart to leave comments, and ever since then, it has worked}.

one thing to say:
edie, you are not right.

17 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:26 am

i know, it’s a sickness really:)
so glad the heart worked!
xo

18 FlowerPatchFarmgirl October 12, 2011 at 3:20 am

Voila! Magic.

19 Straw Holder October 12, 2011 at 6:47 am

I don’t even see a heart.  But the house you chose is beautiful and I just wanted to tell you that I’m loving this series!!

20 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:27 am

awww rats, i don’t what’s going on with this blog-a-mine.
you must have been able to use the comment box?! :)

21 Trina October 12, 2011 at 9:47 am

Oh my WORD!  The Mullet House.  What’s not to love about THAT?   Hahahaaaa….

On the comment front, I’ve been having all sorts of trouble.  Trying the heart now, but I think it’s going to work.  Yay!

22 Glenda October 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

I love mullets.

23 Sarah October 12, 2011 at 10:27 am

Well, I don’t really like mullets, but I do like your house design. So glad you are moved in. Are your just teasing us with those amazing new photos on your header but nothing further of the highly anticipated gorgeous interior of your moved-in house? I adore those slightly footed little bowls in the top right photo, where are they from?
Incidently, I discovered a few years ago when looking at photos from my adolescence that I actually had a mullet for a while. I cringe.

24 Vicki October 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

Your new home is beautiful! Congratulations! I was wondering if you would share where you found the farmhouse plan?

25 JeterFan October 12, 2011 at 10:56 am

Never thought of it like that lol….a mullet house indeed.

26 Michelle Starling October 12, 2011 at 11:27 am

Very funny. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a mullet house. Love it.

27 Ellie October 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

Edie try building on a 24 x24 foot existing foundation.  We could not change the footprint due to shoreland protection laws.

28 aBeachMommyof2 October 12, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Love your blog – Long time follower here from the Alabama Gulf Coast.  Your spirit and joy for life is absolutely infectious!  The next time I visit my little granny in Tellico Plains I may have to try to find your house and drive by :)

29 Jennifer October 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Hahaha! Your mullet house is gorgeous. Can’t wait to see your decorating genius. Thanks for sharing this long labor of love with the rest of us. It’s a beautiful journey to see! Love, a former mullet-wearing, feathered-sided child of style mayhem.

30 Jennifer October 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

31 jennibell October 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I figured out the comment thing a week or so ago. . .I was getting so frustrated about not getting to gush and gush at all your lushisnous (is that a word?).  Anyway, I thought it was just me. . .glad it’s figured out now.  The house is beautiful. . .I’m a fan of a million windows. . .can’t imagine how great it is IRL.  Thanks for sharing!

32 jennibell October 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm

33 Ami M. Davis October 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I love mullets!  hehe
And I clicked the “heart”/permalink and am able to leave a comment this way.  I think the trick is that we need to be in the actual blog post to comment and not in the main blog.  So, it also works if you click on the title/headline of the post you want to comment on, which was my old workaround.

Loving your 31 days topic since we hope to buy land and build our next house.  Very good advice about not getting too attached to a house plan until you have checked with your builder on what the land wants.  Of course I am already torn between mountain views or a nice flat lot.  Good problems to have!

34 Ami M. Davis October 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I love mullets!  hehe

35 Laura October 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Congratulations!  Can’t wait to see the full house tour.

36 Laura October 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Congratulations!  Can’t wait to see the full house tour.

37 Beverlypalmer 01 October 12, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Aw! Clicking on the heart works.  Thanks for the decoding and congrats on the new home.  It looks like a dream house and I want to spend my vacation there!

38 Susie October 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I have never commented before, but have followed your blog for awhile now, and I just wanted to send you blessings in your new home.  If I could, I would send you:  bread-so you will never go hungry, salt-so you will always have flavor and wine-so you will always have sweetness.  Your home is beautiful.

39 Tammara October 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I tried leaving a comment the other day too, much easier to leave one today. I love your house, such authentic style! I started following your blog about 9 months before the fire – thank you for letting us share in this incredible journey with you.  Oh, and since then, I became a home- schooler too which i never would have imagined for us! Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement just being you. Grace and peace to you.

40 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm

so awesome ms. tammara!  many blessings as you learn together :)
xo

41 Susan October 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm

You are so funny! For what it’s worth, I have to right click and “open in a new tab” or “open in a new page” don’t remember which but before I figured that out I couldn’t comment.

42 Fran October 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I love mullets!

43 Jeanchaney1 October 12, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Hi Edie…first time to comment. Your house is lovely and the lake view is wonderful. I can just imagine sitting on the porch with a fire in the cool fall weather. ENJOY your new home.

44 Julie Ashenfelter October 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I like mullets. Clicking on the heart worked :)

45 Tammy Barnum October 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I love mullets, but only on John Stamos.

46 Tammy Barnum October 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Your house looks awesome! SO happy for you!

47 Malissaankeney October 12, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I love mullets and your blog!

48 Rhonda N. October 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Thanks – got Billy Ray on the brain now.  “I want my mullet back!”
Business in the front, party in the back – genius for a house!

49 Vicki October 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Mullets ROCK!!!!

50 Vicki October 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Mullets ROCK!!!!

51 tanya swann October 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I love it! I am so glad you are back and blogging and letting me live vicariously through your creativity! Congrats on your new home.  I hope it is wonderful.

52 tanya swann October 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm

53 Carol_busse October 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love mullets! lol Your house is absolutely amazing!!

54 Jessica Lynette October 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm

“Listen to the land.   It will tell you what kind of house you need.” – somehow this was very Scarlett O’Hara-ish to me. :)

And I had to hit the heart and try out this comment as I have had problems in the past too!!

55 edie wadsworth October 12, 2011 at 10:32 pm

gotta love scarlett!

56 Christine October 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I am anxiously awaiting pictures of the inside of your home!  I love your blog!

Christine H.

57 Charming's Mama October 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I want have always wanted a farmhouse too, but living in city suburbs surrounded by McMansions, its not likely to be anytime soon.  (And by McMansion I mean really big house on an itty-bitty lot.  Why do people do that?  Barely 10 feet between houses.)

58 sallysbrown October 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Yay!!!  I can comment!  LOVE your blog and have enjoyed going through this house journey with you!

PS-Would love more info about the black and white floors in the work room….LOVE them!

59 Angie October 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love mullets…and your house!  Congratulations!

60 Angie October 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I love mullets…and your house!  Congratulations!

61 Allison October 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

just to prove that you can add a comment:  I love mullets!

62 Guest October 12, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Brilliant house design, and I believe as well that the Lord brings you what you need not necessarily what you want, right?  We are dying to buy our first house but are paying off debt from our “before Dave Ramsey” lives.  I happen to work in a real estate office and see houses everyday that I want to make MINE. My mom likes to remind me that “my” house isn’t ready yet.  That the Lord has the perfect timing and the perfect house.  Cheers Edie.

63 VaGirl2 October 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I just found your blog…I am enjoying it so much…and I too will be reading the bible in 90 days…except I already know it will take me longer, but that’s ok…love finding the handy guide to check off as I read. Oh yeah, love the house!

64 Gretchen October 13, 2011 at 12:18 am

You claim you’re not a writer, sweet Edie, but that was one of the best house metaphors I’ve heard. I’d only add that, unlike a mullet, this house is a home that will stand the test of time.

65 Alima October 13, 2011 at 12:41 am

“the mullet house”
LOVE it! :)

66 Loridkees October 13, 2011 at 11:19 am

I don’t really like mullets… but I love your house!  Does that work.

67 Donna October 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love mullets!!!  It works ;)  HAPPY THURSDAY!

68 fay October 13, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I don’t love mullets but I do love your house, Edie!  What a gorgeous place.

69 Njmeinhardt October 14, 2011 at 2:57 am

You, my girl, are just plain funny and fun to read. Thanks for sharing all the good ideas. I’ve turned your blog on to lots of girl friends. I lol’d when you were talking about your paint colors, and how the beige was giving you an ulcer. We had ours painted with a kitchen remodel and went with SW kilm beige. I say go with what you like; but oh so easier said than done…:)

70 Anonymous October 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

My house is a mullet, too; I just never thought to call it that!  We’re not on a lake (more’s the pity), but we are on a narrow, deep lot that goes downhill front to back.  Our house looks not too big from the road (which I like–I’ve never really wanted to live in a house that appears grandiose).  From the back, though, it’s wide and three stories tall.  In Michigan, our lower floor would be called a “walkout basement.”  In Atlanta, it would be called the “terrace level.”  We just call it “downstairs”–but it’s perfect for the home theatre, the exercise room, and one of my teenager’s bedroom and bath.

Now, of course, I can refer to it “the mullet” and proudly think of you each time! :)

I am so happy for you.

71 cheryl @ a pretty cool life. October 14, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I love mullets.  hehe

72 Danielle Apland October 22, 2012 at 12:18 am

Hi Edie!
Do you happen to have a link to the floor plan you did use? We’re facing the same issue: long narrow lake lot. There’s a possibility we may get to build this year so I’m researching a ton! Love the light and views you have! Thanks!