31 Days| Day 4 Finding Inspiration {at Julie’s}

by Edie Wadsworth on October 3, 2011

Inspiration is everywhere and sometimes you’re lucky enough to find it right next door!

You’re in for a treat today because I convinced my friend Julie, who has the most wonderful cottage I’ve ever seen, to let me photograph her house.   It’s a magical place and full of inspiration everywhere you turn.   It was a God-send that we moved next door to her after the fire.   She is an amazing mom and person.   She is unbelievably kind and such a servant of others, she reads Chesterton, Lewis, and Tozer and has raised bright, inquisitive and well mannered children.   She bakes and loves design and had nearly every single copy of Cottage Living.   Instant friends, I tell you!

She has created such a cozy haven for her family and I don’t exaggerate when I say that it’s one of those spaces that changes you and how you look at homemaking.   I’d give anything if Lucille Maud Montgomery (author of Green Gables) could describe it for you.   I can tell you that nothing I say and none of my pictures will do it justice.

When I walked in today with my camera, it was the essence of fall—-maple candles burning, the lingering scent of pipe tobacco and crackling wood—-all drawing you into it’s enchantment.

Thank you Julie for letting us peak!

the other side of the red door……..

the dining room and the inspiration for my round dining table purchase…..

the other side of the dining room….(i’m dying for the antique floral oil paintings–she found them on ebay after very a long period of research and looking)

the master bedroom….

and the very quaint master bath—note the details in the shower curtain, the cabinetry and the carrera marble countertop!  i love it all!

i’m completely smitten with the kitchen—all open upper shelves—-i swoon!

her daughter’s bathroom…….(are you wondering how there can be so much eye candy in one spot?! i know, i know—it’s incredible)

and the most adorable vanity EVER!

her daughter’s room…..

in all its lovely pink goodness……

and last but not least, my favorite room, and perhaps the smallest and coziest in the house—-the library.   i could live in there.  forever.    and read and read and read and read.

the wall opposite the bookshelves….

more bookshelf goodness……

and just one more because I really couldn’t stop taking pictures….

and that my friends is one of the most inspiring spaces I’ve ever been lucky enough to visit.

She should be in magazines.  Maybe I could convince her to start a blog!

1 Glenda Childers October 4, 2011 at 12:39 am

Inspiring, for sure.

Fondly,
Glenda

2 Jenn A October 4, 2011 at 12:55 am

Gorgeous!!  I especially love the bathrooms and all the floral paintings.  So pretty!

3 Dezi199 October 4, 2011 at 1:02 am

Hi Edie, I am in a new house as well. We moved in officially on Sept 9 my 40th birthday! What a journey , it took us 6 months to close and and 6 months to renovate. We are so thrilled and feeling a bit unworthy , but know in our hearts that this is right , this is home, this is where we belong to live out our days and really get down to family. I am in the process of decorating, my kitchen is fabulous, vintage modern cottage chic. Now I need to add the details to the living room, I am finding it cold , I love the colors I chose the floors are divine I just need to add elements that will connect it all and draw people in. I remember reading one of my favorite House Beautiful mags and reread the article “What makes a room great” one comment rang true in my mind, I can’t remember the designer, but he said, before anything goes into the room , one should decide upon the function, the essence of the room and what its purpose is, then start your design from there.
I will be sending you big love for the coming move, its so intense and surreal, elation and emptiness, so many emotions but be sure to wake up the first morning with a good  home cooked Texas style breakfast , smells from the new kitchen make the home come alive.Desiree

4 Katie @ Wildwood Creek October 4, 2011 at 1:02 am

Beautiful!  Definitely magazine and blog worthy!

5 Sheri October 4, 2011 at 1:03 am

I’d move in there tomorrow. Thanks for convincing her to share it! Now you just need to talk her into blogging ….

6 quiltingruby October 4, 2011 at 1:13 am

Just beautiful!  How gracious of her to let us have a peek, thank you so much for sharing.  Please talk her in to  starting a blog.

7 Chavalajones October 4, 2011 at 1:21 am

I LOVE Julie’s home! It IS inspiring for sure! Connie’s Home is gorgeous too! LOVE cozy cottage style homes.

8 New Every Morning October 4, 2011 at 1:40 am

Her perfect use of bold checks and a few dots makes me sigh a contented smile.
Large, buffalo check makes my heart flutter.
You inspire.  Hugs.

9 Christy Henderson October 4, 2011 at 2:03 am

Love it, reminds me of a cozy bed and breakfast

10 Smctaxi October 4, 2011 at 2:09 am

it is absolutely breath-taking… love it

11 Nicole Brandt October 4, 2011 at 2:25 am

Gorgeous. I love the circus wallpaper in the bathroom!

12 Jessie October 4, 2011 at 2:46 am

How could you help but be inspired? Everything in that house is darling! I need to go scour eBay for some vintage oil paintings now! Thanks for sharing these pictures, Edie, and I can’t wait to see more of your new digs!

13 Comeca Jones October 4, 2011 at 3:56 am

Hands down the bathroom has me swooning!I love it!

14 Anonymous October 4, 2011 at 4:13 am

Totally Bananas! Each photo seemed to build on the one before and then…in all of its glory…. The Library! I’m in total love over here – and my eyes immediately found David McCullough – she hearts David Mac!! I could live in that room and be happy forever.

Thank you for sharing, Edie!

xoxo michele

15 Lindy Pegler October 4, 2011 at 4:48 am

You are right. what a beautiful house! Stylish but  extremely livable.

16 Michelle Starling October 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

That is a beautiful home. I think that may be the home that caught my eye last year at Mountain Makings. Is it in downtown Morristown? It is beautiful.

17 Ruth Emond October 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Her home is just lovely and filled with amazing inspiration. My favorite is the library. It is my dream to someday have a room like that. I am also in love. With the dining room chandelier and the mirror in her daughter’s bathroom. Makes me swoon.

18 Christi October 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm

LOVE it – everything!  And love that the same color scheme (my favorite colors) are carried throughout the home.  Love!

19 Susan October 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Beautiful, almost more than I can stand:) I am in a James MacDonald Bible study called Lord, Change My Attitude…this week studying coveting…need I say more? Thanks for sharing this inspirational home!

20 Annie October 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love this home! What I love is that even though it’s not my exact decorating style, I still think I’d be 100% comfortable and happy there. It’s like a hip version of a warm and cozy grandmother’s cottage. (Does that make sense? L.M. Montgomery would definitely say it better…)

21 Marie October 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Gorgeous.  Cozy.  Lively.  Comforting.  Thanks for sharing all of this… I am instantly inspired to sew up a layered sink skirt, and I sure would like to see something about her gardens!  Well done.  Thank you!

22 Lisa Taylor October 4, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Too beautiful – I love every room! All that wallpaper – so gorgeous (though it makes me tired to think of putting it all up )
Especially love those open shelves.

23 JOY Tuggy October 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Take a mini vacation and refresh your soul and heart with the beauty of  Julie’s cottage!!  And maybe even get some inspiration!!!

24 Adriane October 5, 2011 at 12:25 am

Is your friend interested in adoption? Because I would be willing to take on a second set of parents if it meant I got to stay in that gorgeous house every now and then. Just sayin’.

25 edie wadsworth January 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm

only if she’ll take us as a pair:)

26 Jenny October 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Her home is delish!!  If she were my neighbor I would probably be coming up with every reason in the book to be over there.all.the.time!!  Thank you so much for sharing! Such incredible inspiration.  Oh, the eye candy!! LOVE……

27 Nikole Hahn October 5, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Great place to have tea and conversation. I’m envious.

28 Tara October 5, 2011 at 11:47 pm

oh my goodness.  I love her house…every room has all the right details added…LOVE the black piece in her dining room!  Thanks for sharing her home with us….

29 Lulu October 5, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Thank you for showing us her home!!! It’s gorgeous and has sooo much charm!!! Stunning!!!!
xo,
Lulu

30 Beth October 7, 2011 at 1:32 am

thanks for posting these lovely pics of your neighbor’s house!  love all the eye candy!  i’ve been in a house funk and this just kickstarted my creative juices.  i totally rearranged my living room and busted out all my fall decor.  i’m so happy with the changes.

31 Anonymous October 8, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Just charming!!! I heart her front door! Red and round!!! The play on texture is so interesting and I’ll go ahead and say PERFECT!

32 tracy oleksak October 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Oh my what a gorgeous home!  So many ideas I would love to incorporate.  Thank you so much for sharing with us.

33 Diane @ Longaberger Lifestyle October 30, 2011 at 1:25 am

What a happy home!!!   I too am inspired!!

34 Anonymous November 9, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I love the french style.

35 Coffee and Cashmere January 14, 2012 at 5:38 am

Beautiful house! I have a favor. Do you happen to do what kind of doll is sitting on her daughter’s bed? Is it a Madame Alexander? I have been looking for a vintage doll for my child for so long now.

36 edie wadsworth January 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

it sure looks like a madame to me! i’ll ask her next time i see her though:)

37 Marcia Robinson March 4, 2013 at 12:47 am

Wow! Love her place!! Thanks for sharing. I’m curious-what kind of floor does she have in the bathroom with the black vanity? Thank you for your time.

38 mishelle May 28, 2013 at 12:30 am

Ohmy . LOOOVE her home!

39 mishelle May 29, 2013 at 2:43 am

Can you ask her thename of her paintcolor inthe living room(yellowgold). I love it. Andalsodoes she make curtains,bathroom sinkskirt , ect?:)

40 mjt2bfe@hotmail.com November 17, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Your home is beautiful. i only wish I could have that kind of home…. Unfortunately my husband is a bull in a china shop. I try to find a middle ground of a cross between french country and farmhouse. We live in the country so a beautiful home like your’s doesn’t quite fit. Thank you for sharing your home with us.