Project Restoration:: Covered Porch

by Edie Wadsworth on June 9, 2011

I have a back porch!!!
It’s gonna be so awesome back there.
Our other house had a back deck that wasn’t covered and was much smaller.
I think this one will be much more usable, even in the summer.
The framers are working on my screen porch today—which makes me happy!
The plumbers have started their rough-in and my hardie shake siding is on site and is being painted. (I chose white dove by Benjamin Moore)
Heat and Air rough in begins today and the electrician comes next week.
We’re going like gangbusters.
I’m still working hard behind the scenes to pick cabinetry/counter tops/floors/deck materials and on and on and on.
Darlene and I are working on my workroom–which is a bit of a design challenge since it needs to function as a laundry room/craft room/school room and office.
And it’s not that big.
Today, I’m headed out on a short little day trip with my sister and if I’m lucky, I’ll get to sneak into a few cool stores.
Maybe I’ll even find a swimsuit that doesn’t make me angry.
And then did I tell you JamieKnoxville is coming to town?
I’m so behind on stuff to show you and tell you but it doesn’t look like I’m gonna catch up this weekend.
There are soooo many good segments over at Issues Etc right now.
I listened to Os Guiness this morning talk about cultural relevance (excellent interview) and then there’s one of my favorites Neil Postman
being interviewed about his book Amusing Ourselves to Death, a book about the influence of television on culture and religion.  (also excellent interview)
I’m already behind on my summer reading too.
Hope your week is going well!!!
xo,
edie

1 Amy Avery June 9, 2011 at 10:14 am

Oh that porch looks dreamy! I know you are going to really enjoy it! Have fun shopping! xoxo. Amy

2 Southern Gal June 9, 2011 at 10:50 am

Nothing like a porch overlooking the water.  It sounds like it’s coming together nicely.  It will be fun to see it all.  Have fun on the shopping trip!

3 Ruth Emond June 9, 2011 at 11:11 am

Miss Edie, I am loving this porch!! Can’t wait to see how you doll it up. It will be gorgeous for sure!! You are one busy lady. Hope you enjoy your trip and find some amazing treasures as you shop. It’s amazing how quickly your home is coming together. I am so happy for you!!
Good luck with the bathing suit search. I finally found one that I love.

4 Leanne June 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm

You will LIVE in that porch…I sat in mine yesterday and watched an awesome thunderstorm. The house is coming along beautifully…won’t be long and it will be HOME.

5 sara's art house June 9, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yay for the porch!!! And your blog banner is beautiful :)

6 Kimberly Dial June 9, 2011 at 12:43 pm

May you & your sweet family be blessed & spend many happy, restful hours on that back porch.  I love it!

7 Perfecting Pru June 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Yay! for the back porch!  And covered too!  Triple Yay!

I can’t believe how quickly everything is coming on!

8 Pam June 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I’ve never experienced a fire….don’t have a clue what that would feel like. But I have built a house….1 1/2 years of work after a year of designing…..HARD WORK even though it sounds fun to have all new things.  Sometimes I am overwhelmed by all the STUFF….the huge house.  To down size and simplify sounds glorious….while a fire or tornado would NOT BE FUN….it gives me pause to consider a clean slate.  It looks like you have a magical location….how wondrous that porch will be for all to enjoy!

9 Meme June 9, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Cant wait to see how you dress it up for your family the porch is almost as important as the kitchen!Its where family happens.

10 Carin June 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Yay for the back porch! Lots of great moments to come on there I’m sure.

11 SandyToes June 9, 2011 at 4:57 pm

So glad you home is moving forward.  Try and wire that back porch for ceiling fans to help with the summer heat.  I have them here in Florida and they make the porch that much more useful in hot weather.  Looks like you will soon be home in a home full of joy.  God Bless you and your family.

12 Mott Smith June 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Wow! Your home is really coming along beautifully! Is that the porch that’s being screened? We are limited as to how much time we can spend on our courtyard due to the mosquitos in the evening. Of course, being from the South, we are used to swatting at the gnats. LOL Can’t wait to see more. It’s so exciting watching the progress! Thanks for sharing! xoxo Mott

13 Craig S. June 9, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Edie, I have never been more
overjoyed about a house being built. And could you pick any other color than
“dove” white? Perfect. I remember when I first found your blog and was
awed by the spectacular mom teaching her babies Latin. And life since then –
you’ve been so full of Grace – and have been so gracious.

Still the best moment for me from
Blissdom was meeting you – and finding that the heart I thought was there from
the reading matched the person I met. I missed your words when you went away
for Lent – haven’t read enough of them since. I heart your words. God bless you
Edie, and God bless and keep each and every one of yours.

14 Ami M. Davis June 9, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Oh how I love a back porch.  A screened in one is also on my next house list to help combat the bugs and to let the herd of kitties have some quasi-outdoor space.

I also liked Amusing Ourselves to Death- what a great read.  It’s very interesting without being too overbearing.

I have had luck with non- riot inducing swimsuits at Athleta (http://www.athleta.com/).  And by riot, I mean me pitching a hissy fit in a dressing room and declaring that every swimsuit in the store is designed for 16 yr old girls who are built like 13 yr old boys.  Don’t get me started.

Hope you are surviving the heat wave!

15 Lelia June 10, 2011 at 1:22 am

The porch makes me long for cool summer evenings spent laughing with family, drinking lemonade …… dreaming!!!
Findking a swimsuit that doesn’t make you angry – well, I can relate!  But for the first time in a LOOONG time, I found one!  I do not work for this company, nor get paid to endorse, but I have to share their website b/c all ladies deserve a suit that they don’t hate themselves in!  limericki.com!  The suits are adorable & they make me happy! =D

16 Anonymous June 10, 2011 at 1:29 am

A covered porch and a screened porch!  You go, girl!  It’s going to be wonderful.

I got to meet Os Guinness once and hear him speak about civility, the Bill of Rights, and the public square.  He was riveting.

So glad to know that the house is coming along so well! :)

17 {darlene} June 10, 2011 at 11:43 am

the joyous times that will be spent here!!! I loved seeing this picture. Blue ceiling and a big southern fan? a swing??
what fun progress.
Thanks for the issues links :)

18 Jessica Washburn June 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Sounds dreamy Edie. FYI, thanks for the book suggestion, it’ll be here tomorrow thanks to brown Santa a.k.a. UPS man. ;) I’ve heard of it before but had forgot all about it. Hope all is well. xoxo, Jess

19 Fancynancybrown June 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I don’t know if I have ever commented before on here, but I do enjoy reading your blog as I am a girl born and raised in the deepest dark depths of Southeastern Ky and know all the places you mention.  In my recent quest to find a new home in our move to Indianapolis, I found this house 3524 Carmel Dr. Carmel IN – Google it for the laundry/office/craft/homework room.  Maybe it will give you some inspiration?  Or just let you know exactly what you don’t like.
The porch looks great for sittin’ and rockin’.  My dad would love it.

20 Danisejurado June 11, 2011 at 2:50 am

Edie! I am so happy and excited for you!  God is so good!  He is a God of restoration!  My heart rejoices with you as you watch God restore to you more than you could ever imagine!

21 Danisejurado June 11, 2011 at 2:50 am

22 Valerie @ Chateau A La Mode June 11, 2011 at 7:07 am

So excited for you and your family to enjoy that porch and start making memories there.

23 Jess June 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Regarding the swimsuit shopping….Target is now welling a Spanx line of swimsuits! My goodness are these suits BEAUTIFUL and completely unoffensive. Might be the first time in 8 years I WASNT angry after swimsuit shopping!

24 meg duerksen June 12, 2011 at 1:35 am

that porch is going to be amaaaaaaaaazing!

25 Lanakwaustin June 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

That’s just rip-roarin’ awesome! The porch, that is! Sounds like you’re super busy! It’s crazy here, too, in Italy, but in a good way.
Hugs/blessings,
Lana

26 Lanakwaustin June 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Hugs/blessings,
Lana

27 Tara June 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

LOVE that porch and look forward to every picture you give us of your new home!!!  I’m finishing the last several pages of Neil Postman’s book, A Bridge to the Eighteenth Century.”  It’s a heavy read for this girl, but I’ve enjoyed it…”Amusing ourselves to Death” is next for me!

28 CSI Hidden Crimes Hack September 2, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Since the admin of this website is working, no hesitation very
shortly it will be famous, due to its feature contents.

29 Renate September 7, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your website.
It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?

Fantastic work!

30 How To Create a Logo September 7, 2014 at 5:23 pm

fantastic publish, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector do not understand this.
You should continue your writing. I’m sure, you have a huge
readers’ base already!