‘My Little Mother’ and thoughts on mothering

by Edie Wadsworth on June 1, 2011

The girls and I are almost finished with book 2 (Anne of Avonlea) of the Anne of Green Gables series. It’s got to be one of my favorite book series of all time. Lucy Maud Montgomery was such a phenomenal writer and was able to craft a character that will forever live in the hearts of many girls. Anne (with an ‘e’) is definitely one of my favorites. In book two, Anne becomes a teacher her favorite student always refers to his deceased mother as ‘my little mother’. Well, I’ve now coined that phrase for my momma too. If you haven’t read these books, they are a must read for summer! The most common phrase in my household the last month or two, “Mom, pleeeeeeease read Anne.” You will not be disappointed!

And two more things.

1. My church is encouraging it’s members, kids and adults, to read the New Testament through this summer so I thought you might want to join us. The pastor will go over the scheduled reading each Sunday and I’ll give you the highlights. The girls and I plan to read it together in the mornings—it will usually end up being 2-3 chapters a day. Here’s the reading schedule if you’re interested.

2. Also, I’m doing two guest posts this week about mothering. I’m always humbled and somewhat hesistant to write about raising children because I fail often to “love my neighbor as myself”. It seems as if we’re constantly asking for and granting forgiveness in this house. Mostly, my prayer is that God fills in the gap—-that He does for them what I, in my fallen condition, can not.
In the midst of obvious failures, it always warms my heart to find small evidences of His grace in them.
I found these notes by their bed this morning and I got a little teary eyed.

I’m saving these for when they’re 16 and fighting over who’s driving.

Join me at my friend Ruth’s blog today for a guest post on “Raising Kids You Like”.

Don’t leave though before you watch this video of ‘my little mother’ line dancing. She’s apparently done this a time or two. She’s normally the one at parties that you never see, serving food, washing dishes, making sure everyone has what they need. She came out of nowhere when the line dancing started and showed us all how it’s done. She’s so darn cute that I can’t take my eyes off her in this video! I thank her immensely for her unconditional love and grace over the years. Apparently, she passed on her line dancing skills too, at least to my sister.

Happy June 1st!
p.s. I have a fully shingled roof and windows!!!!

1 Jana Wentzell June 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Anne of Green Gables was my favorite series as a child.  My father is from Canada, so when I was young my parents took me to the town.  Breath taking!  I read your blog all the time and I am so encouraged by the way you teach your children and teach them the love of Christ.  Thank you for sharing!  Jana

2 Elizabeth June 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Love love love Anne with an e! I read the entire series many times as a girl/teenager. Glad that you and your girls love her too :)

3 Southern Gal June 1, 2011 at 3:22 pm

You won’t believe it, but I was digging around my cabinets last night looking for the Anne movies.  I haven’t read the books nor seen the movies since Rebekah was young.  Ethan will not appreciate the books so I’m not even going there. (I’ll read him the Narnia books this summer and he WILL watch the Anne movies since I’ve endured endless hours of his choices.)  I called Rebekah and asked if I was going to damage him if I made him watch them.  She laughed and reminded me that Jacob watched them and he’s fine. ;)  My dream is to visit Prince Edward Island someday.

Now, your little mother’s got rhythm!

4 Ruth Emond June 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I love Anne of Green Gables. I remember reading them with my daughter. She is very much like Anne. I miss those days. Looking forward to your posts on mothering. You are an excellent example for all of us. We will all fail but your honesty and humble heart are what we should emulate.

Thank you for sharing the New Testament reading plan. I think we will be doing that this summer.

5 Kate @ Songs Kate Sang June 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Oh, your momma is precious!  Love it, love it!

6 Carolee LeBlanc June 1, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I live in the Maritime Provinces here in Canada.  I’m in New Brunswick and drive over to PEI on a regular basis.  We visit Anne’s house near every time we go! :)  I have convinced many a Keynote to speak here in NB at our teeny, tiny homeschool conference for very little money with the cherry of: “you can take your girls to Anne’s house when you are done!”  :)

Be. very. jealous. ;-)

hugs, Carolee

7 Polly June 1, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Such sweet, precious sister love!  And I love the dancing video, you got dancing in yo’ genes!

8 Ashleymhill June 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

One of my favorite homeschooling memories of the last three years has been reading scripture with my littles. We read Judges through Esther this year. We have all (this mama included) learned so much from reading it TOGETHER. When you have to explain every little thing to someone, it’s like reading the Word with fresh eyes. Blessings to you as you take on your NT challenge!!

9 Glenda Childers June 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Our family remembers the “Anne era”, where both of our girls talked and wrote like Anne. Such fun.

Fondly,
Glenda

10 jordofordo June 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm

love, love Anne!  Wait until you get to Anne of Windy Poplars and meet little Elizabeth.  :)

11 Amy Jupin June 1, 2011 at 11:11 pm

i love just about everything in this post, edie.
but mostly, that last little sentence.
the little p.s.
you sound so hopeful.  i can “hear” it in your voice.
and i’m so very happy the hope returned for you!  i’m certain He had something to do with it. :)

12 Rhonda June 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

That video is adorable!   What great memories!   My daughter is 4 years old.  Is she too  young for the Anne Books?

13 Kathleen Flanagan June 2, 2011 at 12:00 am

I doubt there is any more impactful role than that of a mother – - especially a mother with rythym! :)

14 Tarahlowry June 2, 2011 at 1:25 am

Hold onto those letters FOR DEAR LIFE!!!!  You’ll need them one day..maybe even as early as next week or tomorrow..if your girls are like my boys! :)  Edie, I can’t wait to read what you have to say about mothering….I’m guest posting on the same topic over at Playing Sublimely….the whole guest post humbled me beyond what I think I can bear….seems our family is like yours and in need of asking forgiveness from one another often. love God and love others….we’re gonna be working on this one from now until they leave my house.

15 Trina June 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

First of all, I love Anne.  I live in Nova Scotia, just a few hours drive from PEI.  It’s a wonderful place and visiting the house is special indeed.  Come for a visit and we can go together!!  :)

And those letters are too much.  I adore the affection and encouragement of those words.  Pure sweetness!

16 Christy June 2, 2011 at 2:05 pm

So would Anne be a good read for my 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son? If not, do you have any suggestions of something that would peak both of their interests? I would love to spend some time together reading aloud. Thanks!

17 Running Mama June 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

That’s one cool mom! Thanks for the reminder to do our scripture study…we’ve been slacking since the move, now I’m off to read Ruth’s blog. :) BTW, I’m pretty sure you’re one of the best moms around so don’t be so hard on yourself. Hugs.

18 HobbyMommy June 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Oh!  Anne is my favorite!  I read those books when I was a girl!  I have long been attached to the Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea movies from PBS (Sullivan Entertainment) during the 80′s.  They captured Anne just as I had envisioned her in the books.  I have worn out my VHS tapes and my family bought me the DVD set for my birthday this year.  My little people, Simon-8 and Annestelle-7 love the movies too….  AHHHHH! Thanks for sharing!

19 edie wadsworth June 8, 2011 at 2:02 am

i think that’s the one we’ve seen too—-just perfect. my girls could watch it 100 times :)

20 Carin June 3, 2011 at 5:47 am

Love, love, love the Anne series. Must get it so I can read it for my girl. The video is great! Gotta love your mama! And great news about the roof!

21 {darlene} June 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm

simply too cute. and those letters. oh my! how precious.

22 Susan June 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I loved your whole post today! Thanks for sharing. My grandma and I read those books at the same time when my boys were little. She was in her 80′s and I treasure the time we spent talking about Anne!

23 jennibell June 4, 2011 at 2:14 am

Thank you for the Anne of Avonlea recommendation!  My kids love, love, love books on tape (we’ve listened to several series) and last year we listened to Anne of Green Gables on one of our summer trips.  Then we rented a version or two of the movie. . .but, as always, the movies (according to the kids) weren’t as good as the books.  Since I had never read these as a child I didn’t know there was a series here either!  I found Anne of Avonlea on iTunes, downloaded it, and we’ve been listening to it all week in the car, going back and forth to camp and other various summer activities.  So thank you, thank you for sharing that.

The party looked fabulous. . .!!!!  You are a way cooler mom then I am, for sure :)

24 edie wadsworth June 8, 2011 at 2:02 am

oh yay jenni! aren’t they just the best?! we start book 3 tomorrow.
happy reading :)

25 paige June 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

how i love that anne shirley!!
love your new june banner
love that little mother video
love you friend

26 Mssmartiepants June 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Such practical advice! I work as  a Director of Children’s Ministries at church I wish I could share this with the families I serve. I love that you aren’t afraid to ask of your children and have expectation. A very old message that you don’t hear much of anymore. I’m new to your blog, you have a lovely home, BUT beyond that you are a very wise woman!

27 Kelly Lynam June 4, 2011 at 5:08 pm

We drove by the house over the weekend on the boat – looks great!  It seems so much bigger than before!  I love the breezeway and the big doors!

Kelly

28 brooke June 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm

i too love anne and i just finished reading the new testament.  we must be kindred spirits!  :)

29 patty June 5, 2011 at 5:48 pm

love the sweet video, my friend! so happy for your roof and windows, too! xo

30 Pamela K. June 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Man!  Your mom is bustin’ some moves there!  You go girl!  Sure wish I had that kind of coordination.  So glad you have a roof and windows.  Yeah!

31 Diana Grace June 8, 2011 at 7:20 am

I am new to blogging and love your blog. I have started up a blog myself for the outreach craft group at my church, sharing ideas, sharing Jesus with lots of women. http://www.thecraftgroupplus.blogspot.com  Have you any posts about blogging “how to’s”? All the best with the house! from Diana , Sydney Australia!

32 edie wadsworth June 8, 2011 at 10:25 am
33 Donna June 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Love the notes between your girls…so sweet!!!  And I really LOVE your mom dancing.  Happy Wednesday!

34 MARIE ENTWISTLE June 10, 2011 at 2:39 am

I love the New Testament reading schedule…it’s just the motivation I needed. Thank you!  I shared about it on my blog as well.

The notes between your girls are so sweet and your dancin’ momma is too!

35 bache a bulle piscine ronde August 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Many thanks!

36 http://www.trover.com/u/jzonarrz22 September 19, 2014 at 1:41 pm

A multi-purpose appliance, this media player is a state-of-the-art home entertainment
appliance that will transform your home from normal to awesome.
Lastly, build an online presence by putting up a simple one page website.

So unfortunately you are seriously restricted
in your choice.