Christmas Cookie Exchange 2010

by Edie Wadsworth on December 10, 2010

{fingers crossed that MckLinky works}
cookierecipes
Welcome to my virtual Christmas cookie exchange! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us. If you’ve never done a linky party before, here are the basic instructions.

1. Click to ‘add your post’ to the party. Add the permalink for the specific cookie post and not your’s blog’s permalink.
2. Add a link on your blog back to the party.
3. Visit the other blogs and let them know you appreciate their recipe.
4. Double check to make sure your link works by clicking on it. It should go directly to your cookie post.

It’s easy as pie so don’t be intimidated. And it’s fun to learn something new, right?

And since it’s still 2 weeks til Christmas, here’s a few tips for freezing:

1.  Wait until cookies are completely cooled before freezing.

2.  Freeze in airtight containers using waxed paper to separate your layers.

3.  Containers can be bulky so I also  often use large ziplock bags.

4.  Store each different kind of cookie separately for the best flavor.   Mint flavoring will ‘spread’ to everything.

5.  Don’t overbake cookies to begin with.   They will be almost exactly the same consistency (hardness/softness factor) as when you froze them.  Freezing them will not make them hard.

6.  Let them sit out at room temperature to thaw.  It’ll only take an hour or so which is perfect for Christmas parties and family gatherings.

7.  Some cookies freeze better than others.   When I made red velvet cupcakes for Thanksgiving, I froze the cupcakes and then frosted them right before the meal.

Iced cookies can be frozen but for best results, ice them the day you’re going to use them.

8.  Label things well so they’re easy to find and make yourself a master list of what you’ve frozen.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found Christmas cookies at Easter.

9.  Use frozen items within 6-8 weeks although some things will *keep* much longer.
Enjoy the party!
P.S. My cookie post will be added to this post later tonight.

P.S.S.  Be very afraid.  My cookies look like a head shot of the incredible hulk.  You’ll be amused and the cookies in fact will make you turn green and burst through your clothes.   A little added Christmas bonus.

1 Rachel Brickner December 10, 2010 at 2:54 am

Can NOT wait to see what everyone posts!! I have the standard favorites, like my Saltine Supremes, but would love to have a new recipe this year!!

2 Southern Gal December 10, 2010 at 3:13 am

I’m hoping I’ll be able to get in the kitchen and link up with you. Can’t wait to see those cookies!

3 FringeGirl December 10, 2010 at 4:25 am

This is going to be fun! I can’t wait to get some new cookie recipes. Thanks for hosting. It was a great idea.
-FringeGirl

4 Se7en December 10, 2010 at 6:32 am

Great idea… I have no idea why my photo isn’t showing but the link works!!! Have a lovely day!!!

5 Elizabeth Highsmith December 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I’ll have one of everything please, with a glass of milk, fine make that two or three of everything!

6 e-Mom December 10, 2010 at 5:46 pm

So happy I found you! Thanks for hosting.

Blessings, e-Mom @ Susannah’s {Kitchen}

7 Cara P. December 10, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Thank you for hosting!!

8 Tarahlowry December 11, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I couldn’t get it together this week to post something, but I did do a post showing some things that I plan to TRY and make during the week of Christmas with my kiddos…I mentioned your party b/c I think it’s SUCH an awesome idea! Promise to be there next year for it. :)

9 coolblogger December 12, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Added your event in my blog.

10 First December 12, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Linked ur event in my blog.

11 Guest December 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I’m late! Here is our fabulous, favorite tastes-like-Christmas ginger cookie recipe:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses (I use Grandma’s variety with the yellow lid)
1 egg

Combine flour, baking soda, spices & salt in a large bowl.
In a large mixer bowl, beat shortening for 30 seconds. Add sugar & beat until fluffy.
Add molasses & egg. Beat until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients, beating after each addition until well combined.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Roll in sugar (I use red or green colored sugar at this time of year.)
Arrange 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in a 350 oven for 10–15 minutes (depends on whether you want “soft” or “crisp”). Cool on wire racks.

12 edie wadsworth December 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm

yay, i plan on making molasses cookies tomorrow, will have to compare recipes.
have you ever rolled these out to make cut-outs?]
blessings,
edie

13 Linda December 14, 2010 at 5:36 am

I cannot see the sourcream rollout cookie recipe. It says page not shown.

14 Guest December 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm

I have not tried to roll out the Molasses Ginger Cookie recipe; I don’t think it’s the right type of dough. But you will want to double this recipe–the original makes 2 dozen, I think, and that’s not enough for my guys. I also roll the dough into balls & then dip the top in a small bowl of water, and then into the sugar. It makes the top crackle and if you use granulated sugar, it looks like snow!
I’m off to bake “Frostbite Cookies” (which, dare I say could be healthy, since they have cornflakes & oatmeal in them? Naah! The white peppermint frosting negates that I’m sure!)
Happy baking!