Thankful for Home

by Edie Wadsworth on November 22, 2010

Like you, my next three days will be quite busy, baking and cleaning and decorating and such.
I wanted to pause this Monday morning and give thanks for this house.
This place of sanctuary from life’s troubles.
We are thankful for it and for the precious ones who dwell here with us.
autumn 2010

Prayer for the Home:

Lord God, our home is among the most precious gifts we receive in this life.

We realize this all the more as we remember our Lord Jesus. He set aside home and family. Having no place to lay His head throughout His ministry, he chose to sojourn among those He came to save. We prayerfully invite Him to dwell in our earthly abode even as He continually invites us by Word and Sacrament to dwell forever in our heavenly home, which He prepares for us.

Make us ever grateful for this shelter from life’s storms.

Keep this house always the home of comfort, joy, peace, and forgiveness.

According to Your will, protect this home from the spiritual assaults of Satan, but likewise make our home a fortress against the calamities of nature and the wickedness of sinful man.

Grant us the virtue of hospitality, the joy of harmonious living, and the blessing of gathering around Your Word and bringing our families’ prayers before You.

May all who dwell in our home be blessed by Your presence and Your peace,

and may all who go forth give thanks for the grace they receive from You, through us, Your dear children

We receive Your loving kindness in our home as a reminder of the eternal home we inherit through Your Son, Jesus Christ, in whose name we pray.
Amen.
{prayer taken from the Lutheran prayer book which can be purchased at Concordia Publishing House.}

Sweet blessings on your  home this Thanksgiving season.

1 Amy Avery November 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Absolutely Beautiful! Would you mind if I copied this prayer and posted it on my own blog. I am sure it is similar to a prayer found in my own church’s Book of Common Prayer. It speaks to my soul and I love it! Thank you for posting it! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

2 edie wadsworth November 22, 2010 at 1:05 pm

I think that would be awesome ms. amy!
lots of love,
edie

3 Christy November 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

What a beautiful Prayer! Happy Thanksgiving :)

4 Pamela K. November 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I would love to copy this prayer, too for my blog. Beautiful! And I am going to order the prayer book asap. Thanks for the link.

Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving!:-)

5 ulli November 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm

…and to you and yours.

6 Annie November 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm

This is just beautiful; I’m copying it to share with my husband later. Thank you, and happy Thanksgiving!

7 Brooke November 22, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for this. I’m enjoying your blog!

8 Trudy November 22, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Thank you Edie, I am heading home tomorrow after four weeks of semi bliss of supporting my hard working husband, and cooking and crafting to my hearts content, on the Texas gulf. I have spent a lot of time not thinking of home, because it was hard to leave. I love my home. It is indeed a sanctuary and it is ever so humble. This lovely prayer shall be read at our gathering moment on Thanksgiving Day!
Sincerely ;-) Trudy

9 a pocket full of posies November 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm

LOVE that prayer…it’s one of my favorites!! and so very true…
thank you for sharing!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Many Blessings!
Jill

10 sheri November 22, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Love your blog and your site. Happy Thanksgiving.

11 FringeGirl November 22, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Amen! That was beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

-FringeGirl

12 Mott November 22, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Edie, I love your groups of photos that you do. Would you mind telling me what program you use to do it? I have used BigHugeLabs in the past but was wondering how you did it. You are such a blessing to me and thanks for the wonderful prayer! May we all remember Who sits at the head of our table this Thanksgiving!

13 edie wadsworth November 23, 2010 at 3:09 am

i usually use picnik for those collages. so easy to use!
xo,
edie

14 Jane November 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm

what a beautiful prayer Edie!
I have just bought my first home and move in after christmas! I will pray this for my home too. I am looking forward to decorating and making it homely and beautiful, but am very aware of the need to not seek to have everything new and fancy but to enjoy it for what it is – a home that God has blessed me with to use for His glory!
thanks for your encouragement this morning.

15 patty November 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm

i rec’d my copy of bloodroot today! :)
i also am compelled to nest… it comes with the cold weather and the holidays…
happy thanksgiving, sweet friend! enjoy your family! xoxo

16 Southern Gal November 22, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thank you, Edie, for posting that prayer. Beautiful. You have a blessed Thanksgiving with your family. Hugs to you!

17 Jessicapwashburn November 22, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Beautifully written. I’m SO SO thankful for a safe and cozy home. Love your pics…they are wonderful!! Happy Thanksgiving my friend. :D Hugs. Jess

18 edie wadsworth November 23, 2010 at 3:03 am

love ya jess!
have a wonderful thanksgiving.
xo,
edie

19 edie wadsworth November 23, 2010 at 3:03 am

love ya jess!
have a wonderful thanksgiving.
xo,
edie

20 sandy toe November 23, 2010 at 12:17 am

What a wonderful pray! As you get older, you do realize more and more that your home is a sanctuary from the outside world…a place for your family to be them and relax and feel loved.

What a great post-
sandy toe

21 Kim November 23, 2010 at 2:21 am

This is awesome! I’m going to copy it! I have such a heart for “home”, so this goes perfectly with my thoughts!

22 Sara's Art House November 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

What a beautiful post! Love the pictures- it is so precious to see your girls knitting. When I see that I think maybe I should learn :

23 Kristi November 24, 2010 at 7:10 am

I am thankful that you have a “search” on your blog, so at 1:50 am I can search “Jesse tree” and re-read this post! Then download free printables with scripture readings. This is because I drink coffee WAYYYY too late at night!!!
Honestly though, I am thankful for a lot of things. I have a wonderful husband, beautiful children and a very happy, healthy home. I am also thankful for being in blog-land to meet such a beautiful person, YOU!!! :)
XOXO