Recipe for Vegetable Soup

by Edie Wadsworth on August 21, 2010

We’re enjoying a lazy Saturday, drinking the leftovers of the sangria I made for yesterdays’ brunch and enjoying pics from the last two weeks. I also thought I’d post the recipe for my Late Summer Vegetable Soup, in case, like me, you have a sackful of the last of the summers’ almost-too-ripe veggies that need to be used.
*************
I’m working on several posts, including the video tour, my kitchen pics, and my wonderful visit with Julie the other day. I also wanted to practice my photoshop skillz (or lack thereof) and was inspired by Meg’s collage.
*************
The girls and I are crafting fools lately—-there must be something magical about studying the Renaissance. I guess if Luther and Michealangelo and daVinci don’t inspire you then nothing will.
Hope you’re weekend is full and happy!

late summer vegetable soup

Late Summer Vegetable Soup

This recipe for vegetable soup is my favorite!   In a large soup pot, saute one large onion in 3T. of olive oil and 2T of bacon fat.   Yes, bacon grease.   It can be our little secret.

Then, add all the fresh over ripe veggies you can get your hands on.   I started with seven or eight ears of corn, cutting the corn off the cob and then scraping the cob with the side of my knife to get all the good ‘milk’ off the cob.    Next, I added 3 zucchini squash, cut in half lengthwise and then chopped in thin pieces.   Add many (about 6 large) fresh tomatoes, chopped and then added with juice and all.   The first time I made it, I also added okra.   Cook the veggies for about 10 min.   Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and then salt and pepper to taste.

Add one box of good chicken stock and then finish with 3T. of cream and a tablespoon of honey.

This only works with fresh, sweet veggies but you could substitute the tomatoes with Cento’s chefs’ cut canned tomatoes.  I’d use 2-28 oz cans.

It’s really so simple and so delicious.   Hope you try it!  It’s just pretty to look at too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...Pin It

1 Mary @ Room Polish August 21, 2010 at 8:23 pm

can’t tell you how excited I am to find your blog! I can tell it will be just full of inspiration! So lovely…

2 Kristi August 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Yummmmmmmm! How long do you cook it after adding the stock, cream and honey?
Date night for us tonight. Let’s just say we haven’t been ALONE (meaning just the two of us) in probably years (not counting weddings and funerals). We never leave them with anyone. I know I know, we should get out more!
ps- I am becoming an issue’s addict, LOL! I have listened to SO many shows! Especially the older ones. I’ll fill you in :)
Kristi

3 Jane August 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Looks yum! Great job on the photo collage, too.

Jane

4 Lauren August 21, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Love your collage. What a perfect way to sum up what’s been going on! And I am going to have to try that soup. I was just thinking yesterday that I am ready for some kind of soup – yours sounds perfect! :)

5 Tara August 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm

loved this Saturday post…the pictures from the past couple of weeks are great…we start our official schooling on Monday….we’re all looking forward to it. At least they say that now! :)

also love meg’s collages…

i know enough about our photoshop to make myself crazy. :)

thanks for the recipe….

6 Gwyn Rosser @ The Pink Tractor August 22, 2010 at 12:26 am

Okay, the soup looks wonderful. You had me at “ears of corn”.

So excited to be able to look in on your classroom. I am a huge fan of homeschooling and used similar methods in schooling, or unschooling as it were :), my youngest. He turned 29 this summer so that’s been a while now. Only regret is that I did not homeschool all my children. It’s a wonderful thing.

Gwynie Pie

7 the domestic fringe August 22, 2010 at 2:00 am

Wow! This post inspired me!!! Is your daughter knitting? I’m so very impressed. I tried learning from YouTube videos and failed miserably. You guys are awesome.

Your soup sounds delicious.
-FringeGirl

8 Jen August 22, 2010 at 4:31 am

Yummy!!! The soup looks even better because it’s in that super pretty bowl.

Happy Sunday!
Jen

9 patty August 22, 2010 at 5:34 pm

hey there, sweet edie… love this post… did you do this intentionally, or is it serendipity? ;) did you notice all the blue, set at triangles, and the orange-reds, set at triangles, and the yellows in your collage? very pretty-visually appealling! :) your home is beautiful, and wish i’d more time to visit. xo

10 Lana Austin August 22, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Look awful tasty! Oh, and from the last post (or one before?!?!) I LOVE the quote from Goethe…I think you said some other blogger had it up and I LOVE that so very much!

I’ve had to stop blogging this whole month because of Kate’s surgery/recovery and a “flare” for me requiring more Dr. visits and massive steroids (yuk–I’m puffy–but at least I can walk again!).

I will write soon about homeschooling and what I want my blog to be now that I’ve had time to think about it.

I truly pray that you are great and it looks like ya’ll all are!!! That’s SO AWESOME!@!@!!!

What an amazing home to enjoy summer!!!

Hugs,
L

11 Kara August 22, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Can’t wait to try out the soup. Looks like you and the girls have been having a ton of fun!

12 meg duerksen August 23, 2010 at 4:56 am

nice crafting. :)

i made my collage in picnik. so easy.
i am terrified of photoshop.

13 Amy August 23, 2010 at 11:47 am

This does look yum for summer, and has me longing for fall :). I always love visting you here…

14 Jessica Washburn August 23, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Oh you and that bacon fat, which reminds me…we came back from Utah to find a Campbell’s soup can half full of bacon fat in our freezer. Of course I instantly thought of you. :D Kimball’s Uncle Johnny is also southern and had been house sitting for us.

Great collage, glad you seem to be enjoying your school year as much as us! Have a great week my friend.

15 Kara Schmahl August 26, 2010 at 2:39 am

This looks DELISH! I very much enjoy reading your posts. They are full of inspiration, family and love. :)