TMI?

by Edie Wadsworth on May 5, 2010

I’m blogging today over at Melissa’s place. I’m talking about motherhood and vulnerability.   Oddly enough, in my real life, I’m getting my first mammogram.   I will soon be the expert in vulnerable now won’t I?   Doctors make the worst patients but after your urgent pleading (Darby) I’ve also scheduled my yearly preventive health exam.

In other health related news, I started a new high protein (NO CARBS, NO SUGAR, NO DIET SODA) diet 2 weeks ago.  I was feeling awful all the time.   Can anyone say “too many major life changes in one year?”   I don’t metabolize sugar correctly and if I start on carbs early in the day, I’m on a bouncy ball all day with cravings and emotions and the like.   I was VERY skeptical.  I have the willpower of  Winnie the Poo.   But for some reason, this has worked for me.  It’s called the Ideal Protein Diet and you can only get it through a physician.  You only stay on the very strict portion (phase 1) for a few weeks.  I’ve lost almost 7 pounds and 5 inches and really feel better.  I didn’t go to the doctor seeking a diet.  I went because I felt run down and stressed and tired all the time.  It’s not a miracle diet but it works for me because I’m a carb-addict.    Funny thing is, when I was in medical practice, I specialized in helping people make lifestyle changes;   losing weight, smoking cessation, stress reduction and all sorts of behavior modification.   And now I’m  in need of a little lifestyle tweaking myself.   There’s no shame in that.   We all need help sometimes.    It’s okay to be vulnerable.

People often ask me why I never talk about health on this blog.  I was trained very traditionally in an MD program but found myself much more intrigued by alternative approaches to wellness and prevention.   I firmly believe that what we put in our bodies is most often responsible for our health outcome.   If I ever go back into medicine, I’ll likely retrain to do alternative medicine.    So, I don’t talk about traditional medicine because there’s only s portion of it I believe in.   And I don’t talk about alternative medicine because I haven’t properly educated myself in it and so much of it is so darn new age.    I guess I’m in a holding pattern so until I get it all figured out, I’ll continue to talk about my children, my faith, my favorite books, and my butter-laden recipes.

Now, head on over to Melissa’s where there will be no mention of protein or mammograms or butter.

1 Emily@remodelingthislife May 5, 2010 at 2:10 pm

How have I been reading your blog all this time and had no idea you used to be a doctor?

I would love to lose 5 inches. go you!!

2 Southern Gal May 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Finding a nutritionist or anyone in alternative medicine who isn’t into New Age even just a little is hard. If you ever find the time to study up on it I would love to hear your take. From a fellow carb addict.

3 Trish @TheOldPostRoad May 5, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I have the same sugar problem- The doctor told me in January that I was almost diabetic (at 41!) – I freaked and stopped sugar (cokes, bread, etc) for about two months and now walk 5+ miles per day (fast) and TRY to stay away from carbs as much as possible. I firmly believe that if I eat sugar (bad carbs) every day, I will soon become diabetic. When my insulin level is high (which mine tends to be because I don’t process sugars correctly) my metabolism STOPS. I’ve lost 14 pounds! Yipee!! Sugar (carbs) can really drag you down, physically.

btw -Our local grocery often has sales on london broil – which is a cheap and easy-to-make and lean protein that my entire family loves. Add a salad with olive oil and vinegar and broil some asparagus and they think they are in hog-heaven!

Too much info, I know, but I think alot of women are pre-diabetic or have metabolic syndrome and don’t realize it.
-Trish

4 maddie May 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

thank you for this insight Edie! I am 41 and it’s so weird to suddenly be an ‘old’ person when it comes to medical tests/issues. However, I am not very comfortable w/ popping a pill for every ailment. If one goes to the Dr. w/ a problem that is generally what happens. (I have so many friends who are taking several prescriptions and thinking they are being smart about their health! It’s just kind of scary to me.)

It is just nice to hear a Dr. questioning some traditional medical practices.

5 Melinda May 5, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I have just recently “stumbled on” your blog, and because I have been blessed by it, I am giving you an award. Come by my blog to check it out!

6 Sandy May 5, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Love that post, Edie.

Exciting to see all the new stuff happening … just catching up here and saying hi!

7 elizabeth highsmith May 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

i adore your blog just as it is! i love your heart for Jesus, your depth and your honesty. i’m excited to see your new digs as they progress. though i must say i am mourning the loss of your turquoise cabinets. like my heart hurts just a little over it.

8 elizabeth highsmith May 5, 2010 at 4:01 pm

9 Jen May 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Have you heard of the Primal Blueprint or the blog Mark’s Daily Apple? You may be interested in it, considering alternative medicine/eating/etc.

10 Laura May 5, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Edie-
I just left a comment on your kitchen post- a little late.

In the spirit of too much information:

For me, those days that I eat protein, vegetables, and fruit are days that are not complicated by cravings, and the compulsion to overeat.

God lifted that compulsion from me for 3 years when I followed what most would consider a strict food plan (including no alcohol-which is condensed sugar). I lost 67 pounds.

Last year, with stress and allowing my thinking to turn to “I can’t do this anymore”, then sure enough I didn’t.

Guess what? I gained weight back and re-visited crazy sugar/carb induced thinking.

And so- the path is clear, but feels harder now. I know that God will carry us more than once, but full fledged willingness and surrender is hard to come by.

So there you go.

Laura
White Spray Paint

11 Robin May 5, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I live in the Indianapolis area and I am finding that more doctors are open to alternative medicine, some even changing the way they practice medicine and going almost exclusively alternative. I do believe that we will see more of that in the future.

I am a severe carb addict too. I started Jan. 1 cutting all sugar and most bread from my diet. I don’t digest meat particularly well either so I eat mostly fruits, vegetables and whole grains. I have lost almost 30 pounds and feel so much better.

I hope your mammogram goes well. Thankfully they aren’t as painful as they used to be!

12 Lisa May 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I’ve been on IP for 3 weeks now. Same as you, I don’t metabolize sugar properly and I have a non functioning thyroid. I’ve tried everything and so far this is the only thing that has worked. I’ve lost 10 pounds and 3 inches in the first 2 weeks.I’d love to read more about your experience with it.

13 Angie May 5, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I agree with you about your health being a large portion of what you put into your body!! I don’t stick to just one form though- I think there is good in both alternative and traditional medicine!

14 Darby May 5, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Praise the Lord and PASS the tambourine!!!!!!!! :)

Love you and your heart. Can’t wait to see where the Lord takes you and your desire for your own health and the health of others!!

15 Laura May 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

So interesting your perspective now. What we eat definitely has an effect on our health. so much more fun to eat the ‘fun’ stuff, but oh the pain.
So glad you blog and talk about what you love & have a passion for- thanks

16 Kristi May 5, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Edie,
I could have written the way you feel 4 yrs ago!! I was 33 yrs old and felt like I was 93 yrs old! Instead of going to my doctor I went to see a nutrionist one (a tree hugging, granola kind, said in the most loving way, lol). I told her either I was dying of something or something was very wrong because no one MY age should be THIS tired and feel like this everyday. Well it turns out I was eating all the wrong things (which I half-knew already) which triggered more cravings and kept the vicious cycle going! I would compare her suggestions to what is known as the “clean eating” plan. Which is basically cutting out all processed garbage (and anything “white”) and eating veggies, fruits, whole grains and lean meat and fish. Barilla pasta in the yellow box (can’t think of the name) replaced teh regular pasta we were eating (we are Italian, lol) It made a HUGE difference! And for someone who couldn’t get out of their own way, had A LOT of energy.
I will confess that I am/was a carb-addict. But I know what it makes me feel like now so I’m more cautious. I do fall off the wagon and get WAYYYYY off track. But when I correct it and start eating good again, I feel better! Which in turns gives me the energy to exercise. Heck I had enough energy to have another baby, wink wink, LOL! YAY for you!! :)
And glad your going to the doctor! We all need balance. And I had my first mammo at 32 ( my grandma died of breast cancer) and I have one every few years. NOT fun (since I can give Dolly Parton a run for her money) but needed :) Let us know how it goes!
xoxo
Kristi

17 Gina at Craft Tea Cottage May 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm

:) willpower of winnie the pooh. Ah yes, I hear you there.

I started a carb controlled thing a year ago and have to say, it was the best thing for my life. Hands down.

Glad you found something that works for you.~G

18 Kristi May 5, 2010 at 9:02 pm

ps- if you find a way to make your ROCKING recipes healthy, your writing a cook book!!!!!!!!!!!
Why is it I can NEVER post once?!?! :)

19 Cheri May 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Edie, this is so exciting to me. Years ago, I had a doctor who had formally trained as a traditional MD, but then got very sick with Fibromyalgia and exhausted all medical avenues. In desperation and with disgust, she turned to alternative methods and cured herself. She was speechless.

From that day forward, she changed her practice and now treats nutritionally FIRST and then with meds if needed. She spends 2 to 3 hours in a first visit to determine what a person eats, how they live, what they are exposed to (food, drink, products, etc.). She changes all that. She only prescribes natural thyroid (Armour Thyroid) and anyway, she completely changed my life. I found her after my traditional family physician offered me anti-depressants when I KNEW something was wrong but all my blood results were “normal”. I had hypothyroid and taking Armour Thyroid changed every moment of my life.

Anyway, please keep us posted because I am someone who would move to be able to find a doctor who treated mostly holistically but had the traditional abilities when necessary. Should you return to practice after the girls are grown, let us know!! And if you run across other docs like yourself, please do let us know as well. The websites don’t have too many docs as of yet. Please spread the word!!

20 Cheri May 5, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Also, for those of you on this type of diet (or similar), would drinking a green smoothie be allowed? I start each day with a green smoothie, usually containing the following: banana, tomato, avocado, grapes, cucumber, raspberries (or mixed frozen berries no sugar) and then 60%+ is organic spring mix lettuces. VERY green and very healthy. But I wonder, do any of those ingredients trigger me with carbs??

acrh4@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

21 maurie May 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Congratulations on finding will power. Maybe the simple 3 no-nos are easy enough I can remember them. I also found your comments on traditional vs. alternative medicine interesting. Actually, God gave us science and common sense. We should thank him and use the best of science–empirically tested treatments–and common sense stay-healthy solutions. My husband, a breast surgeon, unfortunately has seen too many women who have gone the “alternative route” until it was too late. So, in short, I am glad you went for a mammogram!

22 Steph @ AnnoyinglyDomestic May 5, 2010 at 11:11 pm

If you want more “technical” info regarding the way you’re eating and how America got stuck with the current “American Dietary Standards”, check out the book “Good Calories, Bad Calories” by Gary Taubes. Phenomenal book. You can also check out Gary Taubes on YouTube – he’s done some great interviews.

I started out doing the very same thing, but since we eat more home prepared food than the “low carb” frankenfood available, what we’re really doing can be found here: http://www.paleonu.com/get-started/ BUT, we still consume dairy.

Not much of a difference between low carb and paleo, but there’s a lot of great info on that website if you’re interested.

23 Ami D May 5, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Happy Mammo Day!

My dr suggested that I get a baseline mammogram at 38 so I got to start early- yay.

I have to say, for me my first mammogram was not as bad as I thought it would be. Now, each year I go out and buy myself a fancy new mammo day bra and march right in to the radiology center.
Sure, there’s some pinching and tugging and squishing, but it’s quick and really more uncomfortable than painful.

So, welcome to the club! Embrace the mammogram and taking time to take care of yourself.

I am also eating lower on the food chain these days. I have even gone about 90% vegetarian and am thrilled to report there are some great options out there to replace meat in your diet. Even for a picky southern girl like me.
Cutting out most meat based meals and processed foods has really made me feel much better. It’s definitely a journey- I started out with just a few meatless meals and worked up to my “flexitarian” status.
Good for you for making it through the 2 week detox without killing anyone. :)

24 Tara May 5, 2010 at 11:50 pm

way to go on your lifestyle changes…you’ll feel better for sure…

I’ve had major neck and back pain over the last 10 years….traditional medical doctors have done very little for me, and I have found a world of good in alternative medicine….***the NON-new age kind*** :)))

God has always led me to the most wonderful doctors who practice these more holistic ways of medicine in whatever city we find ourselves living in!!

Every one of them have had me do some of the same things….eat mostly whole foods and whole grains, drink mostly water (like near a gallon a day), enough sleep, give up all the crap in foods and drinks..sugars, processed foods, etc….removal of high stress situations. They all believe in traditional medicine for emergent reasons only…not for long term use.

Here in Orlando, I’ve found a wonderful chiropractor…he is the brother to Ben Lerner, the author of several books…his most popular being..”Body by God.” They offer a NEW way of doing chiropractic….with maximized living…and it works for me. (I’ve always been a skeptic of chiropractic!) They believe that you can’t just do one thing to help yourself…you have to make exercise a regular part of your day, a whole diet with lots of water, a right relationship with God, and of course…a well adjusted spine…cause they gotta make money, right? :)

okay….I’m stopping now…this is the longest comment EVER!

25 Buffie May 7, 2010 at 1:33 am

Alternative medicine is very lacking in the local area. I try to read as much as I can on it. Even though it has been practiced since the beginning of time, it seems to be making a comeback and rightfully so. There are only a handful of homeopathy schools and they are up north with the exception of the one in Arizona. Since you guys learn classically you might want to start with Hippocrates. A good website for health news and research to get your feet wet is naturalnews.com
sparkpeople.com has tons of tools for healthy eating/habits and it’s free – the entire thing is free. (and they have a phone app) ;)

26 Ruth May 8, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I do not agree with most of conventional medicine either. I would love to have the chance to learn more about alternative medicine. I wouldn’t even know where to begin. I do know that keeping yourself healthy through proper eating and exercise are key. It is one thing that I have tried to follow.

Congrats on the weight loss and glad to hear that you are feeling much better.

27 jess@studio3z May 10, 2010 at 12:05 am

Hey Girl! And as if we didn’t have enough in common already, this post solidifies we would be BFF’s if we were a tad closer. ;) Brett and I are very much into alternative health treatments, and preventative measures….we could talk your ear off about the subject. I also am on a diet similar to yours because of a sensitivity I have to sugar and yeast. It builds up with me, and I am forced to go on a high protein diet for a few weeks at a time. I am currently down 8 lbs myself! Your symptoms made me think of my issue. You may want to consider reading the book, “The Yeast Connection.” It’s a super easy/quick read.

28 Jamie May 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Oh, I feel your pain…or maybe even your rejoice. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after complaining for over 2 years that I was tired, had headaches, and could not conceive, among other complaints. Well, I have been on my new diet (no carbs, high protein) to control on my insulin levels (not a diabetic/and not obese) and I could not be feeling better. So far, I am down 11 lbs in 5 weeks and my migraines are a thing of the past and I finally have enough energy to make it through the day! So here’s to healthy diet, scratch that, I mean healthy living!!

Please keep us posted on your progress and include some recipes that you are trying that are no card….i feel like I keep fixing the same thing over and over.

29 Debi May 15, 2010 at 5:28 am

I’m listening … my midlife state has brought new life challenges I’ve never seen before. I’ll be checking out your diet. I’ve been ‘checking out’ your *life in grace* for some time now, but never let you know how inspiring it is! Bless you!