Strawberry Cake Recipe aka The best cake in the whole entire world!

by Edie Wadsworth on May 27, 2010

As most of  you know, I’m remodeling my new kitchen.   Since my other house hasn’t sold, I left a LOT of my stuff in the old house so I don’t have to move it twice.   When I needed to make a cake for a dear friends’ birthday, I lamented the fact that my cake decorating supplies were still in my turquoise kitchen.   So, I improvised and as it turns out, I think this is the best cake I have ever made.   I know I know, you’re feeling like I’ve ditched mocha cake for the tantalizing seduction of fresh strawberries.   Emme thinks it’s just because I’m on this high protein diet that I think it’s so good.  What does she know?  She’s only 9 and likes Justin Biebers’ music.

Never mind the fact that I can be a little dramatic.  This is without a doubt the best strawberry cake recipe I’ve ever made.   Period.

strawberrybuttercreamcake

Here’s what I did.    I baked a white boxed cake in two 9 inch pans.  I baked those per box directions.   Then I mixed 3 sticks of butter with one stick of Land O’Lakes margarine.  Do not, under any circumstances, substitute just any ole margarine.   You must use Land O’ Lakes and if you don’t, I can’t be held responsible if you don’t think this is the best cake you’ve ever eaten.    Next, add 2 pounds plus 2 cups of powdered sugar and 2 T. of milk.   Add the sugar slowly and mix as you go.  Alternate the milk so that you don’t end up with powdered sugar all over your face.   Then—and here’s the key to the perfection—-add 1/2 cup of homeade strawberry freezer jam.   If you don’t have HSFJ then you must make some.    Strawberries should still be fresh and easy to get and just follow the directions on the sure-jell box to make the jam.   Besides being the best jam you’ve ever eaten and the best cake you’ve ever eaten, your sister will offer to keep your kids for the weekend just for a jar of the stuff.  I promise.

Now, add the jam to your icing along with a pinch of salt.   Take a deep breath and then taste it.    Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.   Just relax.  You’re not dreaming.  It really tastes that good.    Now, spread this fluffy dream of heavenly perfection onto your cake, add a layer of fresh strawberries between the layers,  and then have your cute little 9 year old make strawberry flowers for you.   If you’re feeling particularly nostalgic about your 4th grade memories, you can pipe LYLAS onto the cake using a ziploc bag.
Picnik collage
And that, my friends, is how I made the best tasting cake in the whole entire world without my cake decorating supplies.

p.s.  I went to all this trouble to write this post for you stat because I want you to have time to make it for Memorial day—and I really do  LYLAS!

(love ya like a sister)

pss.  I’ve lost almost ten pounds on the Ideal Protein Diet.  I’m taking the weekend off for Memorial Day and have every intention of making this cake to eat all by myself for my family.  I ate a small sliver of it today and almost hyperventilated.   It will not disappoint.

psss.  I know, 2 posts in one day.  Don’t faint but that’s how urgent it is that you make this cake.

1 Ruthanne May 27, 2010 at 2:32 am

edie ~ i just about peed my britches when I read your line about Justin Bieber’s music.

thanks for the scrumptious recipe!

2 Catherine @ A Spirited Mind May 27, 2010 at 2:38 am

That does look tasty. When I read the first part about how you made the cake for your friend I thought your friend’s name was Lylas. And then I thought how funny it was that someone named their kid the LoveYouLikeASister acronym. So I was a little disappointed that it was actually the acronym and not the friend’s name, but it makes more sense that way. :)

3 Sheri May 27, 2010 at 2:58 am

Okay, I am not a buttercream fan, do you suppose it would work with homemade cream cheese frosting or am I out of luck? (Sigh,I’ll go with the buttercream if I HAVE to)

Oh and I swear you said your mocha cake was the best cake ever. MMMHMM…

4 Heather May 27, 2010 at 3:08 am

You have NO idea how bad I want to make this cake right now!

5 Kristen May 27, 2010 at 3:46 am

Oh my gosh, does this ever look good!! My mouth is watering right now. Thanks so much for posting, can’t wait to try this!

6 patty May 27, 2010 at 4:20 am

u r so funny, & it took me to almost the end of your post to remember what lylas was, but i did. i’m not dead yet. ;o
ps: my birthday is in january and i promise to think whatever cake you make me is the best in the whole wide world. ever. ;;o {dbl wink}

7 Tara May 27, 2010 at 11:14 am

We’re going home to GA for the next 10 days. My mom and I are SO going to make this cake.

8 candace May 27, 2010 at 12:47 pm

this looks and sounds wonderful! i cannot wait to try it!

9 a thorn among roses May 27, 2010 at 12:59 pm

oh my word…i must have that cake!!! and i def need you to make it. please?!

10 Pink and Polka Dot May 27, 2010 at 1:00 pm

looks delish, but i’m kinda partial to those mocha chocolate brownies you made for blissdom! mmmm good!

11 paige May 27, 2010 at 1:04 pm

good gracious!!
why do i say that?
three reasons…
that cake sounds amazing. of course with 7 lbs of butter & 12 lbs of sugar, it should
10lbs off…woohoo
and
because that is the cutest blog header i’ve seen in ages.
you go girl

12 Jessica Washburn May 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Emme could be right Edie. :) I was doing the hcg diet and cheated w/ a slice of $5 pizza…thought it was the motherload!

Really though, this cake looks divine. I love strawberry anything. Thanks for the recipe. :) Hope you are good.

13 allison May 27, 2010 at 2:52 pm

yes, yes, beautiful, and yummy looking cake, but how long/short has it taken you to lose the 10 pounds?!? please share…

14 Mott @ The Courtyard Gate May 27, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I get so excited when I see a post from you–so you can imagine how excited I got when I saw this cake! Double whammy!! right between the eyes! I’ve got to make this and am thinking of incorporating some blueberries in it for Memorial Day! Wouldn’t that be pretty?!? And I do think I could hide in a closet and eat.the.entire.thing.by.myself! LOL

15 Ruth May 27, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This cake sounds so very wonderful. Now to go shopping and get everything I need to make this beauty. Thanks for sharing this little slice of goodness with us.

16 Ruth May 27, 2010 at 7:49 pm

So very true. Many of the churches today preach deeds not creeds. Most Christians do not even know about Martin Luther, the Reformation or the Creeds. We have moved away from our true foundation.

17 the domestic fringe May 28, 2010 at 2:15 am

I must make this cake! Congrats on your ten pounds.
-FringeGirl

18 Talysa May 28, 2010 at 3:38 am

I just managed to lose 20 pounds since Jan….I am gonna have to boycott your blog soon. Gracious! ;-)

19 Jen@thecottagenest May 28, 2010 at 8:59 am

It even looks like perfection. Since I’m in the middle of packing up my house and packing the kitchen is on my schedule for today, I think it will have to wait a few weeks but I am for sure making that cake. You are sweet to share. Of course I’ll curse you when I gain 5 pounds eating it all myself.

20 Stephenie May 28, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Edie,
You are hilarious. Thank you for the laughs (and for your inspiring posts as well). I dig all of them, equally.

Steph

21 Kate Corzine RN May 28, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Edie,

I am so completely tickled that you are successfully using the ideal protein weight loss method!

I recently opened a business called “A Better Weigh”, and we are proud to bring Ideal Protein to Baltimore, Maryland! I have been reading your blog for about a year, and for whatever reason, seeing that you decided to take the plunge and try out Ideal Protein gave me all the affirmation I needed that I had gotten into the right business!
Congrats on your current weight loss and I hope that you feel great!
Kate

22 Lisa Hayes May 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm

If you have not made this cake yet….you must stop reading these comments and get to making this cake ASAP! I made this cake the same night you posted and you were absolutely right! This is truly one of the best cakes I have had in a long time! The strawberry freezer jam gives the icing that extra pizzaz. It was delish! Now I’m going to make cupckaes with the icing….maybe I’ll throw some strawbwerries in the cake mix!
Thanks for posting Edie!

23 Cheri May 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Edie, this looks amazing, but I have a huge question. I do not eat ANY margarine EVER. Could I use all butter on that frosting or wuold it ruin it?

Thanks!

24 Heather May 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm

That looks really, really yummy. But I’m too lazy to make my own. Wish I could eat yours right off the computer.

25 elz June 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I laughed out loud when I read the part about “…she likes Justin Bieber’s music…” I will add this to my cake file to make soon!

26 Carol Busse June 3, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I might be too late for Memorial Day, but after that recommendation, I will absolutely be making this, AND I have freezer jam. Thanks so much for sharing.

27 Jessica Benzakein June 7, 2010 at 2:38 am

I think I found your 10lbs just reading this post! YUMMY!

28 Gaby January 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm

We made this cake yesterday with my 11 yr. old pumkin who wants to be a baker. It was soooo yummy that we will make it for birthdays from now on. Thanks bunches for sharing the recipe! Hugs!

29 Joyjacob123 March 15, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Fresh Strawberries and I thought of you and this recipe. Love your recipes. Making it tonight!

30 Mary Kay March 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Edie, I think you’re my new best friend! Not that our friendship is only centered around the most amaaaaazing strawberry cake icing recipe ever…but that sure is a good START! :-) Girl, I just made your icing–and you’re right–it’s the best cake EVER!!! Wow. I must admit that I felt more than a little uppity that I HAD some homemade freezer strawberry jam in the freezer from last summer. (I’m sure God will take care of my pride soon!! Ha!) Anyway, thanks for such an amazing recipe. I am very sure my mom will want to thank you later tonight when she bites into her birthday cake. (I did make a strawberry cake part, just because she requested a traditional strawberry cake. I used the Strawberry Cake I from Allrecipes.com.)

I took pictures of the process–would you mind if I post all about the cake, and give your recipe next week on my blog? Don’t worry–I will be linking up to you, giving you FULL credit, and RAVING all about you!!! My cake didn’t turn out as pretty as yours–I didn’t go fancy on the decorating. I just spread on the icing love.

Sure hope ya’ll are having a happy Friday. I don’t always comment, but I sure do LOVE your blog. I’m sure if I knew you in real life, I’d love you, too! :-) Now…back to homeschooling these chill’uns…and at some point, I WILL have to face the mess in the kitchen…